British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Sheffield 2014

I don't think that I have ever known a season finish so early, and it must be the first time I have been to our last meeting in my shorts.

The last meeting just about summed up the season, and finished with a speech from our long time Promoter Neil Machin effectively saying farewell to the Sheffield speedway fans.

We had Rob Godfrey on the mike begging Neil not to go, but listening to Neil I got the feeling that this was a man who had had his fill on wants out, and after 21 years who can blame him, he had the ups and downs and I think that he deserves to put his feet.

So for me and a lot of Sheffield fans we face a winter of uncertainty, will we still have a speedway team to support, could the unthinkable happen and there be no Sheffield speedway, hopefully some will come forward and bring in a new era to the club.

So of the 11 riders, yes Sheffield used 11 riders in the 2013 team, which ones would I like to see back at Owlerton if we have a team to support.

Simon Stead

Local lad, rides the track as good as anyone at this level and a natural born leader. If there is a new Promotion taking over then the sensible thing to do is to employ Simon as a number 1 and the figurehead for the club, bright articulate has to be a Promoters dream.

Retain.

Ricky Wells

One of the few success stories of the season, and not always appreciated by the Sheffield crowd but, upped his average at home and was a revelation away from home where he averaged better away from home than at home. Had a big public fall out with Neil Machin at the end of the season, so for Ricky to come back it would need a new Promotion. For me who ever it maybe they need to get Ricky on board.

Retain

Adam Roynon

We signed him on the Monday and he was the rider that was going to help us turn our season around, but the day after we lost Steady for the season which summed up our season. Took his time getting going but when he did he looked to getting back to his best around Sheffield at least. In a way you are always taking a gamble with Adam because of his injury history, and I wonder if Dudley promote up to the Premier League that is where he could finish up. But he has been very vocal about coming back and I think he is the type of rider who would have fans up n their feet.

Retain

Richard Hall

Dropped or rested Richard left the club halfway through the season, and to be honest that is how it should stay. Around Sheffield there is no one more entertaining than Richard, but his biggest Achilles heel is riding away tracks and for all the promises he has never improved and it is noticeable that when the Longtrack series starts his speedway form dips badly.

Goodbye

Joe Haines

Retired.

Andre Compton

Part of me wants to say yes to Andre, but this Andre is a shadow of the Andre that we once knew. In saying that he more than occasionally produces the goods at home, but his away form leaves a lot to be desired.

Goodbye with a heavy heart.

Facu Albin,

Like a lot of Sheffield fans I was not sure what to expect, but he won us over with his all action and never say die riding, and he has achieved cult status with the fans at Sheffield. I think that if he can get his equipment sorted over the winter we could have another Kyle Legault on our hands.

Retain

Damien Koppe,

Had a nightmare start to the season, but then came back with a bang, and then got himself injured. To be honest his age goes against him for me, if he was a few years younger I would be tempted to bring him, but I am afraid it would have to be a...

Goodbye

Simon Lambert

Would come in on a very low average, and for that reason he becomes an attractive proposition, and could prove a potent reserve pairing alongside.

Retain

Danny Maassen

Showed brief glimpses of promise, but look out of his depth the most part. Needs to go away get a bit more experience and more racing and come back in a few years.

Goodbye

Jake Knight

Showed some promise at the start of the season, but suffered a dip in form at the wrong time, and was possibly unlucky to be the one to make way for Adam Roynon. Still think that he would struggle to make the team next season. But I would give him the number 8 and have in on standby for if the reserves fail to perform.

Number 8.

So I would looking for a team of the following

(1) Simon Stead 9.33

(2)

(3) Adam Roynon 7.81

(4)

(5) Ricky Wells 7.81

(6) Simon Lambert 3.00

(7) Facu Albin 3.62

So assuming that the points limit is retained at 42.5, then we would have 10.93 to fill in the missing gaps.

But alot will depend on who or if we run next season.

• Like 1

Dont really know much but what about

1. Richard Lawson 8.28

2. 4.76

3. Adam Roynon 7.81

4. Jason Bunyan 5.86

5. Ricky Wells 7.81

6. Andre Compton 4.36

7. Facundo Albin 3.62

Lets move up a league... :rofl:

Emil Sayfutdinov

Thomas H Jonasson

Micheal Jespen Jensen

Kjastas Puodzuks

Tai Woffinden

Simon Stead

Adam Roynon

So I would looking for a team of the following

(1) Simon Stead 9.33

(2)

(3) Adam Roynon 7.81

(4)

(5) Ricky Wells 7.81

(6) Simon Lambert 3.00

(7) Facu Albin 3.62

So assuming that the points limit is retained at 42.5, then we would have 10.93 to fill in the missing gaps.

But alot will depend on who or if we run next season.

Lets hope there is a 2014 for Sheffield. Would like to see the five mentioned retained. Whilst Andre may not be the number 1 he once was could be worth a try at an average of around 4.5. Could then fit Skidmore back in to the team if the limit is still 42.5

Lets hope there is a 2014 for Sheffield. Would like to see the five mentioned retained. Whilst Andre may not be the number 1 he once was could be worth a try at an average of around 4.5. Could then fit Skidmore back in to the team if the limit is still 42.5

To be honest the club closing down is a major worry for me, trying to remain positive, but there is definite feeling in the back of my mind says we could well be finished.

But while we wait try this for a team.

(1) Simon Stead 9.33

(2) Andre Compton 4.36

(3) Hugh Skidmore 5.65

(4) Adam Roynon 7.81

(5) Ollie Allen 8.28

(6) Facu Albin 3.62

(7) Simon Lambert 3.00

Team Total; 42.05

Not a bad looking team, we live in hope.

I've heard so much being said on the terraces and on various forums over the last few weeks about how the sport its self will change (have to change) over the winter. With Sky TV withdrawing its coverage (and funding) it appears that there will not be enough money to sustain the Elite League in its present form. Air fences being another added expence to some clubs, which some cannot afford!

Talk of there being two leagues next year (Elite and Premier & Premier and National) all adds to the uncertainty to the future of British Speedway.

Will there be any clubs (apart from Poole) that will be able to afford to employ Grand Prix riders?

All of the above makes me think if Sheffield is taken over and runs in 2014, in whatever league, we must support them, no matter what, and consider ourselves lucky to be watching the sport in this city.

Like your team Spinny, but even if its one made up of new guys aged 17 to 20 years we'll have to get down there and pay our entrance fee.

Keep Sheffield Speedway alive!

• Like 5

I've heard so much being said on the terraces and on various forums over the last few weeks about how the sport its self will change (have to change) over the winter. With Sky TV withdrawing its coverage (and funding) it appears that there will not be enough money to sustain the Elite League in its present form. Air fences being another added expence to some clubs, which some cannot afford!

Talk of there being two leagues next year (Elite and Premier & Premier and National) all adds to the uncertainty to the future of British Speedway.

Will there be any clubs (apart from Poole) that will be able to afford to employ Grand Prix riders?

All of the above makes me think if Sheffield is taken over and runs in 2014, in whatever league, we must support them, no matter what, and consider ourselves lucky to be watching the sport in this city.

Like your team Spinny, but even if its one made up of new guys aged 17 to 20 years we'll have to get down there and pay our entrance fee.

Keep Sheffield Speedway alive!

I form part of the hard core mate, who would support the team even if you put 7 gorillas on bikes.

I just hope that we have a team to support.

• Like 5

HOW ABOUT

1. Simon Stead 9.33

2. Andre Compton 4.36/Michael Palm Toft 5.06

3. Ricky Wells 7.81

4. Hugh Skidmore 5.65

5. Adam Roynon 7.81

6. Simon Lambert 3.00

7. Facundo Albin 3.62

We at Plymouth were in the same place this time last year, and I/we can only hope that someone steps up and takes over The Tigers. Best wishes to you all.

• Like 3

HOW ABOUT

1. Simon Stead 9.33

3. Ricky Wells 7.81

4. Hugh Skidmore 5.65

5. Adam Roynon 7.81

6. Simon Lambert 3.00

7. Facundo Albin 3.62

Think Roynons average is less than that. Sure I read it's around 6.34 somewhere, still a decent looking team.

HOW ABOUT

1. Simon Stead 9.33

3. Ricky Wells 7.81

4. Hugh Skidmore 5.65

5. Adam Roynon 7.81

6. Simon Lambert 3.00

7. Facundo Albin 3.62

Personally, I wouldn't have Lambert - he had a decent season with us, but before and after he hasn't pulled up any trees. Would prefer to see Greenwood given a run. Likewise with Skidmore, his average has stayed the same pretty much since he started with us, to win the league you need to find riders that will up their average vastly.

Albin, I would try to keep. I think being at reserve from the start of the season will pay dividends in that it will earn him some decent points money so that he can keep his machinery etc going - points make prizes (or something like that).

Andre is head v. heart. On balance I don't think that he would be a bad rider to have on that average and he will maintain that or increase after playing catch up on set ups and match fitness this year.

Wells would get in on the basis of his away form alone - bit like Sanchez used to be in that he would more often than not score as well away as he did at home. Now that he has got to grips with Sheffield his average can only go up. Not necessarily exciting to watch, but gets the job done.

Roynan is always going to be a gamble given his injury history, but from we saw this year he is probably worth that gamble.

Stead. No brainer. Why wouldn't you want him in your team!

Lawson is another who I wouldn't oppose seeing in the team, think he did a good job for us this year as his second team and, despite the differences of opinion off the track, he formed a decent spearhead with Roynan around Owlerton at least.

Anyways, any conjecture about the team is probably pointless untill 1) Machin finds a buyer 2) the league structure is decided. Will those sneaky Elite league promoters want to join forces when the inevitable happens to the Sky contract??

Think Roynons average is less than that. Sure I read it's around 6.34 somewhere, still a decent looking team.

I just get the averahes of the speedway gb website

Got to be Elite league with a fresh start.

IMO Stead and Wells apart we need a good clearout of all the riders that have been part of the catastrophic last couple of seasons , I like Roynon but the lad is cursed with injuries ... get some new lads in like Tyson Nelson and Josh Grazonik(sp) and I know I'm contradicting myself here but I think if I read the rules properly that my mate :lol: Ben Wilson could come back on a 4 next season ;)

IMO Stead and Wells apart we need a good clearout of all the riders that have been part of the catastrophic last couple of seasons , I like Roynon but the lad is cursed with injuries ... get some new lads in like Tyson Nelson and Josh Grazonik(sp) and I know I'm contradicting myself here but I think if I read the rules properly that my mate :lol: Ben Wilson could come back on a 4 next season ;)

That would be very interesting, especially if we could get Ben in at reserve.

I kind of get a feeling that Ricky Wells will be riding somewhere else never seemed happy at Sheffield.

I would definitely keep Adam Roynon, I know it keeps been said but his luck injury wise has to change sometime.

Steady like everyone says is a no brainer.

Richie Lawson is a rider that seems to get connected with Sheffield, but I am not so sure about him relies heavily on his gating, Ollie Allen has exactly the same average and Sheffield is his favourite Premier League track.

I still think that Albin is worthy of another crack, especially if he starts at reserve and gets some decent kit.

Hugh Skidmore returning would interest me, but I kind of get the feeling that he may want to stay with Redcar.

But Ben Wilson on a 4 point average could or should deserve very careful consideration.