British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Why Can't All Speedway Be Like This

OVER the past two Mondays we have been greatly entertained on Sky with terrific meetings from Swindon, Wolverhampton, Birmingham and Poole. Last night's fare from Wimborne Road, especially for neutrals like me, was pulsating. Good racing surfaces, good crowds, what more could you want?

If British speedway was always like this (an impossible dream I know) the sport would have no financial woes and Sky wouldn't even hesitate about a new contract.

What is does prove is that fundamentally the actual product can still be terrific. That's the frustrating part.

• Like 1

Meetings against strong teams are always good, need to make sure all teams are strong and keep them strong, easier said than done!

• Like 1

OVER the past two Mondays we have been greatly entertained on Sky with terrific meetings from Swindon, Wolverhampton, Birmingham and Poole. Last night's fare from Wimborne Road, especially for neutrals like me, was pulsating. Good racing surfaces, good crowds, what more could you want?

If British speedway was always like this (an impossible dream I know) the sport would have no financial woes and Sky wouldn't even hesitate about a new contract.

What is does prove is that fundamentally the actual product can still be terrific. That's the frustrating part.

What do you mean by good crowds? 4,000 or 5,000?

Ones that can cover the outgoings

• Like 2

First part of your post I agree with don,t agree Poole was a good racing surface at all Reference massive double hole /bump which caused Josh Grajczonekj to come to grief on turn 1 there are those that will say he was knocked off by Hans Andersen but there was no contact although Middlo says there was .I watched the replays from all sides and Hans was past Josh,s leg and bike when he was lifted up in the air caused by the poor racing surface.

I am not a Swindon fan before anyone asks I think they were let down badly by Troy Batchelor and I know Peter Kildemand is an out and out racer but feel he should have had the captain in his ear last night telling him if you are beaten out the gate and round the first bend just consolidate 2nd and 3rd place for a 3 3 thus protecting their 10 pt lead Don,t think Rosco was switched on last night which was a shame .

BY today's standards they were good crowds and probably viable ones, too

Ones that can cover the outgoings

BY today's standards they were good crowds and probably viable ones, too

About 1,500 then?

Edited by Guest

Yes, it's potentially still a great product ... but it's far too easily dragged down from those heights by the boneheaded actions of those in charge who appear unable/unwilling to learn from their mistakes (and even worse, repeat the same mistakes over and over again).

Too many of those taking important decisions about the sport need to be much more realistic about speedway's finances and also much more realistic about how often bad weather can affect speedway ... then, meetings like the Elite play-offs would be truly profitable when the weather's good instead of being (for at least 2 clubs in recent days) just a vital way of catching-up earlier losses.

• Like 1

Meetings against strong teams are always good, need to make sure all teams are strong and keep them strong, easier said than done!

Points limit = 45 pts.

Points limit = 45 pts.

And how many clubs can afford that? British speedway has gone way beyond the point that simply raising the points limit will lead to superstar teams and massive crowds. By the same token simply lowering the limit may make teams more affordable in the short term but won't in itself bring any more punters through the door.

Why can't all Speedway be like this?

Because these are the play-off semi finals.

The culmination of the season.

Surely it's just as simple as that.

• Like 3

Why can't all Speedway be like this?

Because these are the play-off semi finals.

The culmination of the season.

Surely it's just as simple as that.

Agreed: It's like a football cup final! Not consistent fare throughout the season.

I must congratulate the Birmingham riders for going into the crowd at the end of the meeting, chatting, having photos taken for me this should be done more often, its the personal touch which is being lost nowadays. Thats what kids remember, and come back for more, well in my day it was, so well done Brummies.

Poole have done this on each of their Play Off victories.

These meetings were promoted properly. Cant say the same for most throughout the season.

Promoters need to get back to basics.

PROMOTE.

Good racing surfaces? Poole's was more like a motorcross track in places!

• Like 1