British Speedway Forum
jim the whipper

Leicester 2014 . Elite

In business you have to take risks and you wont know till you try.

I don't think it's much of a risk to be honest. I'm pretty sure Leicester will be EL next season.

I think tonights result at Leics is the worst thing to happen for the fans of the lions .IMO it will convince D/H that it would be the right thing to go E/L after the drubbing they gave Coventry. The match itself was obviously a great result for the Lions beating a very underperforming Bees (NKI is exempt from this criticism) but a normal 1 to 7 for Leics won,t ride as well as the team tonight .I don,t think D/H and his co promoters could afford to take a massive hit on their finances if the team start to lose against tougher opposition of E/L standard especially at home .The only way Leics could survive in a higher lge IMO is if the E/L is watered down with the GP riders not being part of the British scene .I know a lot of fans like to watch GP stars but I think maybe they could be scheduled to appear on British tracks in a mini GP series of individual meetings not just on EL tracks but some of the better run PL as well.BL speedway should be able to pull in bigger crowds with more balanced teams with riders who would be available most weeks of the year as they wouldn,t be tied up on foreign soil for friday practices and saturday race days with big possibilities of flight cancellations or other problems rearing their ugly heads. Also I know the majority of fans appreciate their own riders winning 46--- 44 with good close racing than a 60---30 borefest.Just my opinion on the way the British scene has gone downhill in the last 5/10 years it will be interesting to hear other fans comments

Cheers MIck C retired track curator.........................and I still miss the buzz ..

I dont think the result v Coventry should be taken into account at all in determining if the Lions join the EL or take part in what ever the 2014 top flight is. Ok so they won by a big margin but it is strange to say its a bad thing can only be compared to saying that had they lost, it would have been a good thing. I am sure the Leicester promotion can do the sums correctly. Yes riders will cost more, and no weekend fixtures, but crowd numbers should be up due to local derbies v Coventry, Birmingham, Wolves & Peterborough to name a few so if they can secure a good enough team to compete (and I think they will) we should be encouraging the promoters to go for it - and then support their endevours to the hilt.

I am lucky (old) enough to have seen world champions ride at Leicester and I am sure the prospect of top riders such Holder (when fit) Woffinden, Holder & NKI will bring the crowds in to BP just like Mauger, Olsen & Penhall did to Blackbird Road more than the Premier clubs and riders do currently.

I dont think the result v Coventry should be taken into account at all in determining if the Lions join the EL or take part in what ever the 2014 top flight is. Ok so they won by a big margin but it is strange to say its a bad thing can only be compared to saying that had they lost, it would have been a good thing. I am sure the Leicester promotion can do the sums correctly. Yes riders will cost more, and no weekend fixtures, but crowd numbers should be up due to local derbies v Coventry, Birmingham, Wolves & Peterborough to name a few so if they can secure a good enough team to compete (and I think they will) we should be encouraging the promoters to go for it - and then support their endevours to the hilt.

I am lucky (old) enough to have seen world champions ride at Leicester and I am sure the prospect of top riders such Holder (when fit) Woffinden, Holder & NKI will bring the crowds in to BP just like Mauger, Olsen & Penhall did to Blackbird Road more than the Premier clubs and riders do currently.

Your dead right, we should be getting behind the E/L venture. D H is no mug, he knows if its viable or not. Who wouldn't want to see the top riders riding at our track. I too, remember watching the likes of Olsen, Penhall, Mauger, etc when I was a kid and being so excited at the prospect of seeing them riding at Blackbird Road. I have to say, last night rekindled some of those feelings. All I can say is BRING IT ON.

Your dead right, we should be getting behind the E/L venture. D H is no mug, he knows if its viable or not. Who wouldn't want to see the top riders riding at our track. I too, remember watching the likes of Olsen, Penhall, Mauger, etc when I was a kid and being so excited at the prospect of seeing them riding at Blackbird Road. I have to say, last night rekindled some of those feelings. All I can say is BRING IT ON.

In that case, looking forward to a trip to Leicester next season already, nice stadium, great supporters!!

Indeed. So why should we take any notice of the Leicester start marshall's opinion of Brough Park?

I'm just going to wonder what will happen next year when they try to get even 2 riders down the straight when there's an air fence on the already pencil thin Newcastle track straights?

rubbish track.

Just as much if not more passing than on the gas and go tracks like Sheffield this year

rubbish track.

Just as much if not more passing than on the gas and go tracks like Sheffield this year

I'm just going to wonder what will happen next year when they try to get even 2 riders down the straight when there's an air fence on the already pencil thin Newcastle track straights?

you forgot to add our track is better than you're track ner, ner, ne, ner, ner at the end of this.

and your point made is other tracks are just as crap as BP... jeez.

you forgot to add our track is better than you're track ner, ner, ne, ner, ner at the end of this.

and your point made is other tracks are just as crap as BP... jeez.

My point was I went to Sheffield, Somerset, Scunthorpe and Peterborough 7 times this year (gas and go track shapes that people like you say Leicester should be like) and I haven't seen more than a couple of passes in a meeting at any of them whereas there were more than that in first 6 races at Leicester on Saturday by Andersen and Hansen alone even with all dirt scraped off to get the meeting on! Edited by hurricanes
  • Like 1

Really!

My point was I went to Sheffield, Somerset, Scunthorpe and Peterborough 7 times this year (gas and go track shapes that people like you say Leicester should be like) and I haven't seen more than a couple of passes in a meeting at any of them whereas there were more than that in first 6 races at Leicester on Saturday by Andersen and Hansen alone even with all dirt scraped off to get the meeting on!

Although a lot of the dirt (mud) was taken off about 40 ton there is over 300 tons of dirt on the track so 40 tons of mud just gave me a dry surface to work with.

The clay holds the water in the top 1" so remove that and your ready to go. Its a big job to remove it . It took me and my team about 3 to 4 hours. Then put 15ton of dry shale back on.

Glyn

Really good to get information regarding track preparation Glyn. A very challenging job when the weather is favourable, so this time of year must be a nightmare. Are there any plans to work on the track during the winter to improve the racing ?

Really good to get information regarding track preparation Glyn.

Are there any plans to work on the track during the winter to improve the racing ?

Glyns track prep has achieved that aim in the 2nd half of the season :-)

Glyns track prep has achieved that aim in the 2nd half of the season :-)

Glyn does indeed do an admirable job.. Not sure it achieves that aim though.

Very true hurricanes, the racing has improved as the season has progressed. My question is reference to the shape of the track being changed a bit more. For the record i'm not one of the gang that only post to moan.Having been a few times this season, I would welcome any work that would improve the racing, especially if they are in the same League as Panthers next season.