British Speedway Forum
jim the whipper

Leicester 2014 . Elite

Why dont you and Mrcts start your own Little thread . then you can post whatever you like without having to put any thought into it . and mrcts can continually post nothing of any substance just keep moaning about anyone who posts anything relevant . Happy days all round , we wont need to try and explain the blindingly obvious to you , and you and him can just type out ill thought posts and pat each other on the back ,

Well done you've described yourself to a tee.No substance,checkMoaning,checkBelittling others,checkHypocrite,checkCheck mate!

If the Elite League survives into 2014 and therefor there is a choice , Which league would you like to see the Lions in ? Supporters of other teams are welcome should they wish to participate , and wit and sarcasm are totally acceptable , But personal abuse is not .

Why don't you practice what you preach!

So you're saying Hansen didnt sign for the Lions because they weren't confirmed as an EL team.. I think it was Mcenroe who said it. you cannot be serious.

i'm not going there with the payment thing. Dont know enough about that to say either way and I'm sure you don't either.

I will say ive not seen any evidence that DH is a winner in business though 1valve and that is what we're talking about here. He may have been a winner as a cycle speedway rider but as a businessman i could quite confidently make the case that he looks like a blooming disaster. Leicester look to me in parlous state, irrespective of the fact they are going for the EL. It looks the no gamble 'gamble' last throw of the die to me. They don't even appear willing to see their season ticket holders right, those people being their most loyal supporters. it would be nice if you could add a bit of substance to back up your winner theory beyond the level of him being a successful cycle speedway rider. I'm afraid what you see as the traits of a winner probably equals my view as the traits as an arrogant pr*t ..

Mick.

Your not very good at reading threads are you Mick. I said Lions cant offer top flight racing to any rider - I never mentioned Hansen, I just quoted a fact. This will not change untill (if) they are alowed in to whatever is the top flight in 2014. Lets also recognise that Coventry is a top speedway club and as a young rider I guess Hansen felt whatever deal was offered to him was good enough to accept v any other offers that came his way and he is now set for next season nice & early which has got to be good for the kid.

As for the payment thing - I know enough to back what I stated.

As for being a winner - DH brings speedway back to Leicester in a new stadium with FIM international recognition, support/attendance is good v other clubs and the top flight begin to make positive noises about admitting the Lions into the top flight after only 3 years of opperation. I dont expect this can be achieved without doing a lot of things right behind the scenes and maybe breaking even or even operating at an affordable loss in the formative years is acceptable. Overall, I cant see anything to point to failure in running the business. What do you see Mick? And please dont say p***** off sponsors is one, because sometimes (unfortunately) sponsors forget that they are sponsors not owners or promoters and try to push the boundries in that regard. Also sometimes sponsors dont always provide what they said they will provide. In other words there is always at least two sides to the story and whilst DH has made mistakes, I see that he has made more right decisions than wrong, and I and I believe many other Lions supporters wish him & his promotion all the best in continuing to bring what is a far from wealthy sport to Leicester.

Edited by 1 valve

Its not the supporters that would complain, the promotion at Cov would be the problem.

They could be but I think you will find last time it was Peterborough who objected.

It would be really interesting to see how these debates on this thread went face to face to face in a pub after match..!!

It would be really interesting to see how these debates on this thread went face to face to face in a pub after match..!!

Sounds fun, but I fear many would not be prepared to listen to the other parties point of view.

That said perhaps the supporters club could set up a few meetings in the close season and invite speakers to address specific topics in an orderly fashion which could be advertised in order to guague interest. If it could be done in good spirit then would help pass a few speedway less nights quite well.

Oh , shame about you not being new to speedway as that would at least have gone some way towards explaining your stupid replies , Of course Elite league is only once a fortnight , and guess what ?, there's a reason for that, because all the top riders are away at GP's every other week , maybe Dave Hemsley would agree to run on Gp weeks every other friday , Problem is there won't be anyone to race against because the other teams won't want to come without their top riders who are at the Gp practise .

What's the point in trying to join in on a forum when you just get torrents of abuse back in return.

I have never made any negative remarks to you and as far as I can remember this is my first direct contact with you on this forum. Thanks for the welcome!

It's only one or two from every club and you'll get to know which ones so just ignore them.

Welcome to the forum. :)

• Like 1

A big welcome don't let them put you off

As already stated this is a public forum, people come on here to post their points of view, as a public forum it is up to us to make sure that what we write is not harmful or abusive. But as on all forums you will always get a few who jump in with both feet and all guns blazing. We should all bve able to make our comments about the article in question and not reply with calling people name like silloy school boys behind the bike sheds. Some people can take it others find in very hurtfull and it can cause them great anguish.

So much so that they just give up once bitten twice swhy,

No doubt I shall get a reply of the same nature but my back is broad enough to take it. Come on guys lets clean up the act. People don't need it we aare here to comment on Speedway not about people personal lives.

• Like 1

Trouble is as no one knows who he is or even if his name is Mick (he could be alluding to Mickey Mouse or even taking the ...., Isuppose)Then people wont take him seriously. It is very easy to come on here and hide and spout all the bile you want to. People even hide behind assumed names on FB these days......... Sad. People have even been known to have multi accounts on here just to agree with each other and they call me childish :-)

• Like 1

Trouble is as no one knows who he is or even if his name is Mick (he could be alluding to Mickey Mouse or even taking the ...., Isuppose)......

I think the person he is actually referring to is 'jim the whipper' not Mick, but whether his name is really Jim is another matter. ;)

• Like 2

Your not very good at reading threads are you Mick. I said Lions cant offer top flight racing to any rider - I never mentioned Hansen, I just quoted a fact. This will not change untill (if) they are alowed in to whatever is the top flight in 2014. Lets also recognise that Coventry is a top speedway club and as a young rider I guess Hansen felt whatever deal was offered to him was good enough to accept v any other offers that came his way and he is now set for next season nice & early which has got to be good for the kid.

As for the payment thing - I know enough to back what I stated.

As for being a winner - DH brings speedway back to Leicester in a new stadium with FIM international recognition, support/attendance is good v other clubs and the top flight begin to make positive noises about admitting the Lions into the top flight after only 3 years of opperation. I dont expect this can be achieved without doing a lot of things right behind the scenes and maybe breaking even or even operating at an affordable loss in the formative years is acceptable. Overall, I cant see anything to point to failure in running the business. What do you see Mick? And please dont say p***** off sponsors is one, because sometimes (unfortunately) sponsors forget that they are sponsors not owners or promoters and try to push the boundries in that regard. Also sometimes sponsors dont always provide what they said they will provide. In other words there is always at least two sides to the story and whilst DH has made mistakes, I see that he has made more right decisions than wrong, and I and I believe many other Lions supporters wish him & his promotion all the best in continuing to bring what is a far from wealthy sport to Leicester.

I do my best when reading the threads. Admittedly some posts do involve a level of assumption and as the general discussion at the time was about Coventry beating us to the signing of Hansen when you mentioned how we couldn't sign any riders until we were Elite i have to say i took the assumption that you were intimating that this was a factor in Hansen not signing for us.

Other than that my response was about the difference of opinion we have about whether Mr Hemsley is a winner. That's what debate is all about. You make your point, i make mine, sometimes we sway our opinion sometimes we don't. I'm guessing on this point we don't.

But as you ask me here is what i see. I'm not of the belief that crowds have held up this year. i'm of the opinoin that crowds are falling alarmingly. I'm not of the opinion that the track has produced racing of a decent enough quality to improve matters with the crowd (EL or not) or improve the racing (EL or not). Whilst i know only a small amount of Lions fans who go to Beaumont Park i know of not one who is happy with the product on offer. Of the few that do still go most do so on the basis of not wanting to lose it. 3 years in i no longer think that's a good enough reason. I'm of the opinion that the rumours i regularly hear with regards to things such as the missing track equipment issue, Kauko's testimonial stadium rental issues, fall outs with co-promoters, fall outs with sponsors, fall outs with riders, the payments of services with regards to work done on the stadium by friends of the speedway and rumours of his general attitude to those around him all sound like alarm bells ringing. These rumours may be right, they may be wrong but i hear so many of them week in week out that my opinion has been formed by them over the course of this year.

I'm am, however, interested in which sponsors you are alluding to with regards crossing boundaries as that's the first i've heard of this. I'm also interested in which sponsors you believe have failed to provide the backing they promised as again, i've not heard anything?

On to my main gripe, the reason TMW might say i spout my bile. I have sponsored Leicester for 3 years and have taken out 2 season tickets on each of those years. After the first year i asked for and recieved assurances both written and in person that the track would be altered as i didn't believe the standard of racing was up to me parting with my money. I was told by David Hemsley in person and in writing that rest assured changes had actually already been made. I paid my money, over a thousand pounds, only to find out nothing had been altered at all. Last season almost exactly the same happened except for i didn't feel the need to ask for assurances as DH had made them publicly and Glyn Taylor had described what was being done. Except it didn't get done at all. Because of the quality of the racing my wife has used her season ticket maybe 5 or 6 times this year. A bit of superficial fudging by Dave Darcy with the track but that was it. Actually, whilst i'm thinking about it, having a conversation with David Hemsley whilst handing over my cheque and him not mentioning to me the absolutely imminent naming of Dave Darcy as Co-Promoter also does stick in my craw a bit. I certainly wouldn't have paid any money over to Leicester if i'd known he was involved but there you go. The final straw is the fact that i have season tickets that are £40 short of the their value, the promotion know this and yet they appear to have made no effort to address this publicly at all. If you read my post about the last meeting, or Stevethelions response, you might understand what was the straw that has broken the camels back, but equally you might not.. you might, like TMW, just see it as more bile from me aimed at her friends. But there you go.

Whilst we can debate the in and outs of David Hemsley's success at Leicester I guess the proof of my convictions will be seen next year. I'm of the opinion that it will be a disaster, you are not. I guess sometime mid-season one of us will be able to give it the 'told you so's' should we so wish. Whilst i guess i won't be there to find out in person i hope you're actually right and it is a success after all. As mentioned above i feel i've had money extracted from me under false promises and downright lies these past two seasons so i'll be joining all the others that feel they have a genuine grievance in finding myself something else to do of a saturday night (or whatever night the Lions run) next year.

I think the person he is actually referring to is 'jim the whipper' not Mick, but whether his name is really Jim is another matter. ;)

Tina just felt there was an opportunity to get a dig at me in i think. At least i think it's Tina!!

A big welcome don't let them put you off

weatherwatcher, oneandtwohalfs has been on the forum for a long time and has posted fairly regularly as far as i recall. You would obviously know that as you mentioned you'd been monitering the site for some time before becoming a member last week and before you started setting us all to rights so i'm not sure why you're giving him a big welcome? Shouldn't he be the one giving you, as the newcomer to the forum, a big welcome.

Irrespective, I, having read his views on here for quite sometime, believe oneandtwohalfs big enough to look after himself without your help as the newly self appointed Leicester forum policeman.. he's even seems big enough to enter a proper debate without calling anyone who disagrees with him an idiot, or any view that does't concur with his own as bile. Not always the way with everyone though.

No doubt this is just the kind of response you were expecting and as such feel free to point knowingly in my direction :blink:

Edited by volty

On to my main gripe, the reason TMW might say i spout my bile. I have sponsored Leicester for 3 years and have taken out 2 season tickets on each of those years. After the first years i asked for and recieved assurances both written and in person that the track would be altered as i didn't believe the standard of racing was up to me parting with my money. I was told by David Hemsley in person and in writing that rest assured changes had actually already been made. I paid my money, a thousand pounds, only to find out nothing had been altered at all. Last season almost exactly the same happened except for i didn't feel the need to ask for assurances as DH had made them publicly and Glyn Taylor had described what was being done. Except it didn't get done at all. Because of the quality of the racing my wife has used her season ticket maybe 5 or 6 times this year. A bit of superficial fudging by Dave Darcy with the track but that was it. Actually, whilst i'm thinking about it, having a conversation with David Hemsley whilst handing over my cheque and him not mentioning to me the absolutely imminent naming of Dave Darcy as Co-Promoter also does stick in my craw a bit. I certainly wouldn't have paid any money over to Leicester if i'd known he was involved but there you go. The final straw is the fact that i have season tickets that are £40 short of the their value, the promotion know this and yet they appear to have made no effort to address this publicly at all. If you read my post about the last meeting, or Stevethelions response, you might understand what was the straw that has broken the camels back, but equally you might not.. you might, like TMW, just see it as more bile from me aimed at her friends. But there you go.

You certainly won't be getting any I told you so's from me. I will just be pleased we have survived another season. Proving whether you are right or wrong holds no consequence to me.

Mick, I wouldn’t want you to think I am putting DH on anything like a pedestal as in previous posts I have pointed out that he has made mistakes. I have also agreed that (in my opinion) the track features straights that are too long for the corners. Although on this last point I think the better riders see this as less of an issue particularly since the alterations made at the end of last year have given better choice of entrance & exit lines.

I also appreciate that folk on this forum have a right to voice their opinion although not so much those who get personal in their views to other forum members which is far from constructive. Similarly views expressed on DH or the promotion in general can be negative as well as positive but again no need for rudeness. And I should say your post is constructive even if they do (in my opinion) state an unnecessarily unfair attack on the promotion. However I also recognise that sometimes complaints result in positive action and nothing would please me more than to see superior racing at BP either via track changes or top flight racing. Both of which will cost more money than I think people in general realise.

On the point I make re sponsors overstepping the mark, my point is that the promotion put on a show and the sponsors should decide if they can get a return on their investment be it publicity, customer entertainment or similarly for large corporate sponsors or even just self satisfaction for the love of giving that extra bit to support the club/rider. My point is that sponsors should not expect to make their support conditional beyond normal circumstances. i.e. it would be fair for a beer company to expect their products to be sold in the bar. But asking a promoter to change the shape of the track? Or (not that you have done) which riders should ride in what positions? I think that is overstepping the mark.

As for next year, I am not looking to say “told you so” more that I hope speedway in Leicester does go from strength to strength which frankly should be possible if we see better riders and better teams week in week out although I quickly add, speedway generally in the UK needs to take a big look at itself in order to provide a better product than what we see today. But that’s another subject discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Mick I truly hope you get the speedway you wish for in 2014 and beyond wherever that may be.

• Like 1

if the lions go elite in 2014, there will be 30 heats of speedway in one nights racing.