British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DIAMONDS

Glasgow 2014

From this years team, I would only keep Anders Thomsen and Joe Jacobs. Anders has showed that on good equipment that he can be a real trump card from anywhere in the team, so to have him at reserve for next season is a real bonus. He isnt afraid to ride the fence and race either, bargain average for next year. Wee Joe has shown glimpses of his potential this year, need to remember that he was still seeing alot of the tracks for the first time this year, on his average, he is only going to improve. He is young, British, ambitious and has shown real commitment to Glasgow. Would definitely have him back.

We have a real task in replacing two heat leaders next year, and getting a middle order that is going to improve and remain consistent.

Like others have said, I wouldn't have Henning back. Far too inconsistent. Dakota wont be back as this deal only came about after his rides in Poland finished. Would imagine he will be back down south next season if he is the PL, although I can see him probably going EL full time again with the Panthers.

So where does that leave us for the rest of the team? As much as I read people say "no more assessed riders", if you do your homework like every other team in the country seems to do, then you can get some good riders on assessed averages. At the end of the day, we are a selling club, and we need to keep our asset base stocked up, especially after selling on 3 assets in the last year. Its true that we do need tried and tested riders that can ride our track and can offer up some entertainment, but I also like to watch talent develop in front of my eyes each week.

Trying to be totally realistic about the kind of riders we would be able to attract to Glasgow, I would like to see something along the lines of this (assuming the points limit remains the same)

1. Kim Nilsson 8.72

2. Dimitri Berge 5.00

3. Robin Aspegren 6.39

4. Kevin Doolan 7.51

5. Theo Pijper 7.70

6. Joe Jacobs 3.47

7. Anders Thomsen 3.53

Agree with all of your comments except the one re Jacobs. I'm undecided on him because he didn't progress at Ashfield as I would have liked. Having said that, he's young and did well in the NL.

How about this then?

1. Kim Nilsson 8.72

2. 5.85

3. Kevin Doolan 7.51

4. Linus Eklof 5.76

5. Theo Pijper 7.70

6. Joey Ringwood 3.43

7. Anders Thornsen 3.53

Wouldn't touch Eklof tbh, To me, its as if he doesn't seem to have an interest in Premier League racing unless its with a "big team" like Kings Lynn or Leicester or somewhere convenient for flights. His scores have been inconsistent too.

Dont know if I would have Ringwood back either, its either gate and win, or nothing with him. He was billed as a racer at the start of the season, but not seen anything to back that claim up. Started off in a blaze of glory with an impressive win at Armadale and some good performances at Ashfield. Just dont know if one too many injuries this year has wrecked his confidence. Hearing rumours that he may not be back in Britain at all next year as he has a very good job offer back in Aus. Time will tell. Hope the guy proves me wrong, as he has the style and when on form, gating, to be a successful rider.

Theo? what can you say. League winner with the Tigers in 2011. A firm favourite with the fans, and a brilliant rider around Ashfield and Armadale. Perfect.

Would love Doolan back in the team (10 years later albeit), ultimate team man, and is nigh on unbeatable around Ashfield on his day.

Nilsson is a rider who Glasgow have tried to sign before. However since his move into the Elite League, I am wondering if he would consider a doubling up role, his form for Eastbourne towards the end of the season was impressive, just a slight doubt if he would convert that into Premier League form.

Why has the Junior Golden Helmet been cancelled?

Probably because we don't have a forward thinking and joined up junior policy. To quote "The Referee has declared the meeting closed" :mad:

The Scottish Junior Championship is for the George Beaton Memorial Trophy and wasn't raced for last year either. :mad: :mad:

It has to be said that the junior meeting has been very poorly attended over the last few years. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Probably because we don't have a forward thinking and joined up junior policy. To quote "The Referee has declared the meeting closed" :mad:

The Scottish Junior Championship is for the George Beaton Memorial Trophy and wasn't raced for last year either. :mad: :mad:

It has to be said that the junior meeting has been very poorly attended over the last few years. :mad: :mad: :mad:

And its currently pissing it down so would have been less well attended than normal. Time to close this season once and for all.

And its currently pissing it down so would have been less well attended than normal. Time to close this season once and for all.

The season has to start and stop at some point. You can't just stop because of a wet day :blink: . What if the first meeting is rained off? Do you just call it a day for the season?

The season has to start and stop at some point. You can't just stop because of a wet day :blink: . What if the first meeting is rained off? Do you just call it a day for the season?

Judging by the season Glasgow have just had, that may not have been no bad idea? ;):D

Hopefully with the £5k raised by supporters, the sale of Josh Grajczonek to Poole and the potential James Grieves Farewell Fence Fund meeting will all but pay for the air fence. Then the promotion can get on with punting advertising space on the new fence to bring in some much needed revenue in to actually keep the club going. It has to be PL next season if anything and whatever our budget is going to be one thing we definitely cannot afford is to have as anywhere close to as poor a season again.

Judging by the fact that only 3 riders were asked about 2014 at the end of season interviews and the rest were told thanks for your efforts see you somewhere next season. Our first 3 riders will be Anders Thomsen (4.11) Joey Ringwood (3.55) Henning Bager (5.09+). One rider I would be on the phone to very quickly is Sam Masters to fill one of the heat leader roles. He favourited a tweet from Joe Screen about being Glasgow's new no.1 so may be interested if the call comes.

As this is fantasy time of year before reality strips it down signing by signing I'll throw my hat in the ring....

1. Richard Lawson (8.28) or Kim Nilsson (8.24)

2. Henning Bager (5.09)

3. Sam Masters (7.43)

4. David Bellego (6.36) or Dakota North (6.38

5. Kauko Nieminen (7.25)

6. Anders Thomsen (4.11)

7. Joey Ringwood (3.55)

The number 4 position is debatable depending on final green sheets. Could be Matthew Wethers, Robin Aspegren, Ulrich Ostergaard, Rusty Harrison, David Howe, Matej Kus, Mark Lemon....... Is James Grieves definitely finished :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Joe Jacobs again? Really?

After the very public song and dance Glasgow made earlier in the season about wanting Joe as a club asset, I'd like to think so!!

Where is that cheque by the way? It's a long time coming!

Hopefully with the £5k raised by supporters, the sale of Josh Grajczonek to Poole and the potential James Grieves Farewell Fence Fund meeting will all but pay for the air fence. Then the promotion can get on with punting advertising space on the new fence to bring in some much needed revenue in to actually keep the club going. It has to be PL next season if anything and whatever our budget is going to be one thing we definitely cannot afford is to have as anywhere close to as poor a season again.

Judging by the fact that only 3 riders were asked about 2014 at the end of season interviews and the rest were told thanks for your efforts see you somewhere next season. Our first 3 riders will be Anders Thomsen (4.11) Joey Ringwood (3.55) Henning Bager (5.09+). One rider I would be on the phone to very quickly is Sam Masters to fill one of the heat leader roles. He favourited a tweet from Joe Screen about being Glasgow's new no.1 so may be interested if the call comes.

As this is fantasy time of year before reality strips it down signing by signing I'll throw my hat in the ring....

1. Richard Lawson (8.28) or Kim Nilsson (8.24)

2. Henning Bager (5.09)

3. Sam Masters (7.43)

4. David Bellego (6.36) or Dakota North (6.38

5. Kauko Nieminen (7.25)

6. Anders Thomsen (4.11)

7. Joey Ringwood (3.55)

The number 4 position is debatable depending on final green sheets. Could be Matthew Wethers, Robin Aspegren, Ulrich Ostergaard, Rusty Harrison, David Howe, Matej Kus, Mark Lemon....... Is James Grieves definitely finished :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can never understand why so many people want Bager back

• Like 3

Assuming that we stay at 42.5 the below team would be pretty good anywhere but how realistic it is i don't know

Ricky Wells 7.81

Robin Aspegren 6.39

Theo Piper 7.70

Ulrich Ostergaard 6.52

Claus Vissing 6.89

Joe Jacobs 3.47

Anders Thomsen 3.53

Total 42.31

Solid throughout and in Thomsen at reserve a real trump card

It has to be PL next season if anything

Why must it be PL? The former Glasgow promotion admitted to losing an average of £10,000 a year, your new promotion have apparantly lost a great deal more than that in 2013.

Surely if your promotion decided PL was unsustainable, and relegated themselves to NL, having speedway would be preferable to having no speedway?

My club closed nearly ten years ago, and there seems no prospect of our ever having speedway in the city again. Let me assure you, if I were offered a club here at any level, I'd bite your hand off!

From this years team, I would only keep Anders Thomsen and Joe Jacobs. Anders has showed that on good equipment that he can be a real trump card from anywhere in the team, so to have him at reserve for next season is a real bonus. He isnt afraid to ride the fence and race either, bargain average for next year. Wee Joe has shown glimpses of his potential this year, need to remember that he was still seeing alot of the tracks for the first time this year, on his average, he is only going to improve. He is young, British, ambitious and has shown real commitment to Glasgow. Would definitely have him back.

We have a real task in replacing two heat leaders next year, and getting a middle order that is going to improve and remain consistent.

Like others have said, I wouldn't have Henning back. Far too inconsistent. Dakota wont be back as this deal only came about after his rides in Poland finished. Would imagine he will be back down south next season if he is the PL, although I can see him probably going EL full time again with the Panthers.

So where does that leave us for the rest of the team? As much as I read people say "no more assessed riders", if you do your homework like every other team in the country seems to do, then you can get some good riders on assessed averages. At the end of the day, we are a selling club, and we need to keep our asset base stocked up, especially after selling on 3 assets in the last year. Its true that we do need tried and tested riders that can ride our track and can offer up some entertainment, but I also like to watch talent develop in front of my eyes each week.

Trying to be totally realistic about the kind of riders we would be able to attract to Glasgow, I would like to see something along the lines of this (assuming the points limit remains the same)

1. Kim Nilsson 8.72

2. Dimitri Berge 5.00

3. Robin Aspegren 6.39

4. Kevin Doolan 7.51

5. Theo Pijper 7.70

6. Joe Jacobs 3.47

7. Anders Thomsen 3.53

Sorry VH but I just don't think Joe Jacobs is up to the job. Very little progression for me and other PL riders were seeing a lot of tracks for the first time and made a much better fist of it. Anders is a must. The ideas of Karlsson and Pijper would make me a happy Tiger over the winter. Lets face it can't get much worse than this season. If possible I would only have Ringwood and Anders back. Joey on a 3.00 average or if not it must be very close to that sahowed at the end of the season he can win races especially at home and with Anders at reserve it could make a very powerful reserve pair with very few of the points for the rest taken up. Would be more than happy to see Christian Henry in the middle order of the side. A rider from the east will surely be available with their seemingly limitless options these days. Matty Wethers although not spectacluar would be a useful consistant rider.

Why must it be PL? The former Glasgow promotion admitted to losing an average of £10,000 a year, your new promotion have apparantly lost a great deal more than that in 2013.

Incredible when we only reached 45 points on a handfull of occasions and there was talk of riders coming back for 2013 having to take a pay cut.

Vicious circle of sh1te team from the off and punters put off.