British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DIAMONDS

Glasgow 2014

More bad news coming out of Glasgow, the new bar has been destroyed in a fire.

Awh FFS!

In case people haven't received the Red Alert today, here it is in full:

Dear Fellow Tigers Fans,

We have all been on a roller coaster during 2013 season.

We believe it is your club, not ours and we promised to be open with you over progress.

With the last match of the season just a few hours aways, where are we?

First, the facts as we see them. On track, results have been poor. Only 1954 and 1987, when we failed to complete our fixtures and were ejected from the league, might be said to be worse.

Despite a late start to planning the squad and uncertainty over the planned race-day (this left us with very few rider options during the winter), after the purchase of the club from A&S Entertainment we felt the team would gradually improve and we would benefit by rebuilding a limited rider-asset base.

Early results were OK, but optimism was doused by James Wright's retiral.

Despite a ridiculous amount of time and money spent on the phone we failed to find riders of the age and quality required who would commit to a Sunday race day.

Yes, they all had heard good things about our 2013 set-up, but too often Poland or long-track engagements were already in place. Next year, maybe?

However Anders Thomsens and Joey Ringwoods form at the end of the year provides optimism for future Tigers teams. 2 new Tigers assets with BIG potential.

But we did have a positive side.

Off-track, we installed the new bar and toilets, which raised the standard of facilities by a considerable margin. Unfortunately these were set on fire on Tuesday morning .....

In addition, and more-importantly, the racing on the improved Ashfield track has been much, much better than before (comments and praise from visiting riders have been music to our ears) and we feel the general level of presentation and entertainment has increased, although we would strive to make this aspect even better as time goes on.

We have also provided you with a new an improved website and the best e-newsletter anywhere in world speedway.

But now we have to face facts. The honest truth:

Financially we knew a month into the season it was going to be very very tough. Even when we were winning we were averaging ONLY 630 spectators per match.

We are very grateful for those of you who come and support the Tigers with passion BUT there are just not enough of you to sustain the club as it is currently structured..

We said before the season started we needed 800 people at each meeting to break even. Only the first match against Berwick achieved this magic figure.

The result will be a financial loss of over £50,000 over the season.

We said in May we needed you, the supporters to help us via a bring a friend campaign. Unfortunately very few of you did.

This is really the core of this message.

We, as owners and directors, cannot do any more. This year's result off track is the best we can do with the resources and manpower we have. Blood, sweat, tears and money have been poured into the Tigers throughout 2013.

Unfortunately the Tigers are not viable as we stand. The previous promotion put hundreds of thousands of pounds into keeping the speedway in Glasgow going for over 10 years, and this scenario has been maintained.

Therefore, unless we get more help on three fronts:

A. Getting more people through the gate, which seems currently impossible. Remember, even in 2011 (title winning team), attendances failed to match outgoings.

B. Increasing our annual level of sponsorship by a minimum of £30,000.

C. Reducing our outgoings.

We have to tell you that (unless a new owner come forward with very deep pockets and a very big heart) speedway will not survive in Glasgow.

What it comes down to fellow Tigers fans is:

1. How much do WE as Tigers supporters want speedway in the city?

2. AND what are we prepared to do individually to take the speedway forward?

Our concern is if the speedway closes in the city it will never re open.

We need YOU to help the Tigers with:

1. The funding of a soft fence (air-fence or foam-fence) which will take a total of at least £25,000 to purchase, install and maintain. As you will be aware, without such a new fence we could not run in 2014 in any event. The fence is mandatory. End of that discussion!

2. Quite seperately, helping us actively by adding to our efforts to increase confirmed offers of sponsorship big-money sponsorship by November 14th. One big backer with £30K? Superb -- but ten new backers, each with £3K, adds up to the same total, and spreads the load.

3. Finding Individuals who would like to buy shares in the club

Folks, the bottom line is we need more supporters to get off their backsides and help us.

Not just by painting the fence, and volunteering on race-day, but by proving that they love their Tigers, their speedway, so much that they are prepared to pester their bosses, or give us details of the right person at the right company for us to visit to obtain further financial backing.

The good news is if we can fund a soft fence and get in the necessary extra sponsorship then we can successfully run speedway in Glasgow on crowds of around 650 people.

We promised to be honest and upfront with you well, now you know.

Let's do it TOGETHER!

P.S.: Lets give the team all your support tonight and end the season on track on a high by winning the Scottish Cup.

Mon the Tigers!

Alun and Gordon

I am sure most supporters will rally round and do as much as possible but one point no mention if the fence fund meeting is going ahead ? this would go a long way to raise funds for this and given that they are asking for help to increase fan base this would be a perfect oppurtunity for fans to get along in large numbers i am sure there would be a large Edinburgh contingent would also travel through and possibly Berwick also think they need to let us know as soon as if they intend to run this as it is now vital for the future off the sport in Glasgow that this goes ahead and everyone rallies round.

I am sure most supporters will rally round and do as much as possible but one point no mention if the fence fund meeting is going ahead ? this would go a long way to raise funds for this and given that they are asking for help to increase fan base this would be a perfect oppurtunity for fans to get along in large numbers i am sure there would be a large Edinburgh contingent would also travel through and possibly Berwick also think they need to let us know as soon as if they intend to run this as it is now vital for the future off the sport in Glasgow that this goes ahead and everyone rallies round.

I read the newsletter as saying tonight is the last match of the season. Things are so "down" at present, would a fence-fund/James Grieves meeting really raise funds? Glasgow have only two or three riders left -- who else would come and ride for nothing? At the end of the day, even a fund-raising meeting might lose money.

I read the newsletter as saying tonight is the last match of the season. Things are so "down" at present, would a fence-fund/James Grieves meeting really raise funds? Glasgow have only two or three riders left -- who else would come and ride for nothing? At the end of the day, even a fund-raising meeting might lose money.

Think a field could be assembled with the help off James Riders i am sure said that they would ride for expenses only as per what transpired in the Elite a few years back but if that what was said then it looks bleak at best.

Hope to see Glasgow back next year....£50k losses !! wonder how many other clubs made a loss this season...clearly many PL clubs cannot run in the current League set up with such small crowd figures?

I am really really torn here. I have a policy of only criticising in a constructive ( hopefully ) manner which can be more productive than slavish admiration. However I read the above statement from the promoters with mixed feelings. I am on record on another forum as saying that the new guys came in with high expectations and much enthusiasm, but lacking in professionalism. They also didn't have either deep enough pockets to do the job, or perhaps not long enough arms.

Much more money than they bargained for was and is needed. This to me was the biggest factor in where they find themselves.

I really didn't care for this " bring a friend " approach and again the promoters offend us with the above comment " We said in May we needed you, the supporters to help us via a bring a friend campaign.Unfortunately very few of you did. "

That frankly is offensive. I've said before on this, I personally did pester friends and family to go along and I know lots of others did. To then blame us for not being successful is out of order.

Yes we thank the new people for keeping it going but they made lots of mistakes and the biggest one in my view was an unrealistic vision and grasp of the hard dosh needed. A lack of due diligence to use the business lingo. It is first and foremost a sport but all sports nowadays need money, cash, financial backing, lots of it, and I regret to say they don't have enough. It was perhaps naive to think they could do it with what they had. It's hard out there and I can only hope they find more dosh to continue. Having no Tigers is unconceivable. The hard core of supporters can do no more than they already do.

• Like 7

I was quite positive a month or so when news seemed to be that, due to the loss of Sky TV revenue,the leagues were to be restructured. The premier league to be on a 38.5 points limit and the elite loosing the top earners. A new lower limit would reduce costs and provide a more achievable stepping stone for NL riders making progress. Seems logical to me then you hear it's just going to stay the same with the same points limit, how does that work? You'll still lose the top earners from the elite and still have 12-15 riders riding in both leagues! going to be massive rider shortage.

When you think of it the Glasgow team that finished the season combined averages were 35.50, so it would still be a decent standard given that we would have points to play with. Big decisions need to be made at the AGM although unfortunately these decisions never come and I don't believe unless there is a major shake up that Glasgow will be a part of the league structure. Unless someone with a lot of cash to launder surplus income wants to take the reigns.

Stoke and Isle of Wight dropped back in to the NL and seem to be doing ok but would an isolated team like Glasgow survive in the NL? Given that our nearest rivals would be a 4 hour drive south. Where would the riders come from? James McBain, Ryan McDonald, Tommy Fenwick... where would the heat leaders come from? How much would we have to pay riders to travel to Glasgow?

Stoke and Isle of Wight dropped back in to the NL and seem to be doing ok but would an isolated team like Glasgow survive in the NL? Given that our nearest rivals would be a 4 hour drive south. Where would the riders come from? James McBain, Ryan McDonald, Tommy Fenwick... where would the heat leaders come from? How much would we have to pay riders to travel to Glasgow?

Tough enough (as you've explained well) to drum up enough riders to join as isolated an NL team as Glasgow would be ... even tougher (as the Armadale Dale Devils and Newcastle Gems often found out in 2002-03-04) for other NL teams to bring anything resembling their full side when they visit as isolated an NL team as Glasgow would be.

That's because the NL sides tend to have more young riders in their team who therefore rely more on their parents/friends to drive them to the tracks ... all too often, keen NL riders due to visit the Dale Devils or Gems struggled to find someone with enough spare time to drive them several hours each way.

- - - - - - - - -

Dreadful to read how gloomy it looks for Glasgow's future at the moment but this year's promotion have revealed a staggering financial naivety in that Red Alert they sent out yesterday.

By their own admittance, they said before the season began they needed to average 800-crowds to break even ... in that case, you have to be confident of attracting at least 1,000 once a month (and 1,200 a couple of times a year) so that you keep above the 800-average when you suffer your lowest crowds through damp weather or visiting teams who bring few fans with them.

But, again by their own admittance, only their opening day versus Berwick satisfied their break-even target ... in other words, none of their various meetings against local rivals Edinburgh created any profits to set against those damp afternoons or visits from teams based several hundred miles away ... good luck staying financially afloat when you've budgeted for a crowd-size you can't even hit against your arch-rivals !!

I hope there can be a solution for Glasgow's fans ... but I've little sympathy for those in charge who clearly put together a plan and budget that had a tiny chance of succeeding but umpteen ways of falling apart.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 2

So now that we are confirmed as racing in 2014 and we know the points limit can we get back on track with silly season Tigers fans? :D

With Leicester moving up to the Elite League, I think Glasgow have a good opportunity to nab some riders from them that have proved very handy around Ashfield in the past.

How about this?

1. Magnus Karlsson 8.40
2. Assessed 5.00 rider

3. Kevin Doolan 7.51
4. Thomas Jorgensen 6.15
5. Theo Pijper 7.70
6. Anders Thomsen 4.11
7. Joe Jacobs / Joey Ringwood 3.53/3.56

• Like 2

So now that we are confirmed as racing in 2014 and we know the points limit can we get back on track with silly season Tigers fans? :D

With Leicester moving up to the Elite League, I think Glasgow have a good opportunity to nab some riders from them that have proved very handy around Ashfield in the past.

How about this?

1. Magnus Karlsson 8.40

2. Assessed 5.00 rider

3. Kevin Doolan 7.51

4. Thomas Jorgensen 6.15

5. Theo Pijper 7.70

6. Anders Thomsen 4.11

7. Joe Jacobs / Joey Ringwood 3.53/3.56

Like the look of this team VH. Jorgensen wasn't one I'd thought of before when going through a potential team myself. He did have quite a good meeting at our place last season so not a bad shout.

Do like your reserves, Anders a definite yes (unless Berwick poach him ;) ). Joe or Joey, neither is a tough one. Joey showed what he could do when he rode on an ex-Crump engine. Joe I do like but didn't progress as much as I'd like through the season, but I do think he probably had too much on his plate and he's young, and hopefully one year wiser. Of course it depends which EL team he is assigned - travelling may be an issue.

Perhaps we should take a gamble on both and Anders goes into the main team. Magnus and Theo - definite yes! Kevin - as long as he's not on the slippery slope (which I don't know) then yes.

Sam Masters, if available/eligible would make me a happy bunny.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 1

Fab news that we are running , now for the business of raising funds for air fence.... great to be able to start speculating on team :-

My wish list would include Theo Pijper, Sam Masters, Anders Thomson, Magnus Karlsson, Joey Ringwood or Joe Jacobs, Matty Wethers and a n other

Like the look of this team VH. Jorgensen wasn't one I'd thought of before when going through a potential team myself. He did have quite a good meeting at our place last season so not a bad shout.

Do like your reserves, Anders a definite yes (unless Berwick poach him ;) ). Joe or Joey, neither is a tough one. Joey showed what he could do when he rode on an ex-Crump engine. Joe I do like but didn't progress as much as I'd like through the season, but I do think he probably had too much on his plate and he's young, and hopefully one year wiser. Of course it depends which EL team he is assigned - travelling may be an issue.

Perhaps we should take a gamble on both and Anders goes into the main team. Magnus and Theo - definite yes! Kevin - as long as he's not on the slippery slope (which I don't know) then yes.

Sam Masters, if available/eligible would make me a happy bunny.

Jorgensen immediately jumped to my mind as any time Scunthorpe have came to Glasgow in the last few years, he has always beat Joe Screen at least once, usually in heat 1 too! A year away from Scunthorpe would do him the world of good imo. Seems to be stagnating there, still a very talented young rider too.

I would like to think we have learnt our lesson regarding Berwick. We shouldn't be conducting any transfer business with them at all imo.

Personally I would love Anders to start at reserve, we saw what he was capable of last season on decent equipment. Imagine that next season from reserve and with the ability to take 7 rides? Breath taking stuff, he would more than hold his own in the main body too I think.

Magnus has shown he can beat anyone around Ashfield, he was nigh on untouchable around there last time. He really upped his game in the latter half of last season, coupled with him riding in the big league in Sweden, think this has given him a new lease of life. He aint too shabby around the Dale either ;)

Theo, what can you say? Rides Ashfield as good as anyone now. Firm fan favourite and league winning Tigers legend. Definite for me.

Doolan as I said in a previous post is the consumate team man who is exactly the kind of presence a team needs in the pits to help the younger riders out. I think if we were to see a Doolan/Ringwood combo ... we would really see Joey flourish.

I have the feeling Pijper will stay at Edinburgh(they can actually retain 5 of last years side, 6 if Davey was one of their reserves), especially if Cook were to leave, which isnt guaranteed obviously.

Kevin Doolan would be a good signing, whilst I feel we could retain 3 or 4 from last season.

1 R Fisher 9.52

2 H Bager 5.30

3 K Doolan 7.51

4 J Garrity 5.45

5 D North 6.55

6 A Thomsen 4.11

7 J Ringwood 3.56=42.00

Of course if we have no money, Fisher wont be anywhere near us!!