British Speedway Forum
pirateandi

Birmingham V Poole Grand Final 2nd Leg

As much as I admire Hancock and he had been fantastic for Poole, I thought it was hilarious how much Pearson swooned over him. He scored 5 points he was poor last night yet all we got to hear was how brilliant he was! He came to the tapes for his third ride and even Tatum went he was in good form tonight he had 3 points! Those 2 are useless!

Havent you noticed,he swoons on everyone that is/was a Spoon.

I find it a little cringey that so many Poole fans are celebrating this as much as they are.

The whole 'against all odds' claims are embarrassing too.

Poole are in the privileged position to remedy any problem when it arises and fair play for that. But for gods sake, stop with the bad luck myth.

Poole are a successful club but I would not want to see my club ran the same way.

• Like 2

Congratulations to Poole, again underlining that they are the dominant force in British speedway today. Clearly the class of the field over the course of the play-offs. Commiserations to Birmingham, who nevertheless have done themselves proud throughout the campaign. I had hoped dearly that they would triumph in the final, partly for the boost it would give to the sport in the West Midlands and, frankly, because of my underlying concerns about the manner in which the Wimborne Road promotion conducts itself at times.

However, one must acknowledge the professionalism and commitment of the Pirates operation. Repeated success in a sport with an artificial constraint (the points limit) cannot happen by coincidence. There remains much, if not all, to admire about the way Poole go about their business.

I trust the few Pirates supporters with whom I am acquainted celebrate long and hard; they deserve to enjoy their success. The rest of us must pick up the cudgels next year and have another go.

• Like 4

I find it a little cringey that so many Poole fans are celebrating this as much as they are.

The whole 'against all odds' claims are embarrassing too.

Poole are in the privileged position to remedy any problem when it arises and fair play for that. But for gods sake, stop with the bad luck myth.

Poole are a successful club but I would not want to see my club ran the same way.

They are hardly in a privilege position,they are just a successful club .What stop other clubs being run the same way.?

Ps

I am not a Poole fan

Enjoyed the meeting obviously! Good crowd, fantastic to see Chris Holder running around without the aid of crutches, really hope Danny King is ok after what looked a very nasty fall and did notice THJ didn't have his r/r in heat 14 so hope hi is ok too. It seemed thoughout the evening we didn't need to pull all the stops out, don't know why but Janowski always seems to come last in his first ride lately but always a 5-1 in heat 13, Darcy was amazing as always and Josh G just gets better and better. really don't know why but Smolinski was awful again and couldn't believe how far in front our riders were in heat 2. All in all a great night and topped it off with a steak at the Arthur Robertson pub which was good too.

you will see the Pirates colours and skull and crossbones on TV in January as Matt Ford has given permission for the darts player Scott Mitchell to wear a special Poole Pirates shirt at the BDO Lakeside World championships..

Like Poole or not , that will bring some publicity to the sport ..

- Is he therefore going to have his own oche, 3 feet from the board?

- Will he want to play with 6 darts?

- If he's feeling a bit off colour in the practice room, is he just not going to bother turning up so that he can get a re-match when it suits him?

- If he's not playing too well, are his promotion going to pay for Martin Adams to take his place? Oh no, thinking about it, Adams is English. They'd probably go for Simon Whitlock as they prefer Australians over their own Countrymen (plus if Pearson was commentating, and Adams was playing, the cries of "Wolfie, Wolfie, Wolfie" would be too much to endure).

- If it's over 5 sets, is he going to demand the game is awarded when he's 2-1 up?

NOTHING would surprise me with anything associated with Poole Speedway these days if I'm honest.

• Like 7

They are hardly in a privilege position,they are just a successful club .What stop other clubs being run the same way.?

Ps

I am not a Poole fan

Yes and I acknowledged that did I not?

99.99% of the people watching wont have a clue who the Poole Pirates are...

But if even one person watching is curious to find out and ends up taking their family to speedway, then that's a few more fans the sport didn't have before. I really don't understand why initiatives like this to publicise the sport are criticised.

• Like 1

As much as I admire Hancock and he had been fantastic for Poole, I thought it was hilarious how much Pearson swooned over him. He scored 5 points he was poor last night yet all we got to hear was how brilliant he was! He came to the tapes for his third ride and even Tatum went he was in good form tonight he had 3 points! Those 2 are useless!

Hancock only got 5 because that is all he needed to score. In his first ride in heat 3 he was great, only coming in second place after team riding with Grajczonek. I have seen Hancock do this many times he does not need to win to prove a point in circumstances like that. Could anyone have seen Covatti coming in front of him in heat 12 if Poole had been 8 points down.

Why break his neck in the last meeting of the season trying to score meaningless points when the meeting was all but done and dusted. Why rub it in and make Birmingham's agony of losing any worse. Also Hancock is 43, unlike Darcy, his days of trying to ride to impress, like Darcy's heat 15 win, are long gone he rides conservatively now and who can blame him, he still loves his speedway and rides accordingly, he can race when he needs to but he is not putting his life on the line unnecessarily to prove a point.

Edited by mike1944
  • Like 2

Did they manage to get round to playing = With A Little Help From My Friends?

the theme tune to 'rising damp' might also have been appropriate... ;)

• Like 2

As I said last week - congratulations Poole, commiserations Birmingham. Wasn't a great spectacle last night - unless you were a Poole fan, the track took away any home advantage and the racing was pretty poor. Hope Danny King is OK.

I can understand the joy the Poole fans are feeling but Shovlar has proven, yet again, that he doesn't do humility. Having said that, I didn't expect anything else. :rolleyes:

The best team in the play-offs rightly won and they deserved it.

What on earth are you on about. Read my post again. If you can be bothered I said this. " Commiserations to Brum who were found wanting when it mattered".

What bit don't you understand? As for Gavan, just someone who has to find something somewhere to give out some negative vibe.

Up The Pirates!!! CHAMPIONS!!!

- Is he therefore going to have his own oche, 3 feet from the board?

- Will he want to play with 6 darts?

- If he's feeling a bit off colour in the practice room, is he just not going to bother turning up so that he can get a re-match when it suits him?

- If he's not playing too well, are his promotion going to pay for Martin Adams to take his place? Oh no, thinking about it, Adams is English. They'd probably go for Simon Whitlock as they prefer Australians over their own Countrymen (plus if Pearson was commentating, and Adams was playing, the cries of "Wolfie, Wolfie, Wolfie" would be too much to endure).

- If it's over 5 sets, is he going to demand the game is awarded when he's 2-1 up?

NOTHING would surprise me with anything associated with Poole Speedway these days if I'm honest.

:rofl: ...that's quite good to be honest.

Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking what was the reason for asking them to stop using air horns?

Can't use air horns at Birmingham, planning restrictions.

Shame on those fans who still used them and gave off a mouthful of abuse.

Indeed, a brilliant choice and it sums up perfectly why Poole can have such an unsettled team and disjointed season and still come up smelling of roses at the death.

Congratulations to Matt Ford and his cheque book.

can see where you are coming from but to be fair to Matt Ford he does speculate to accumulate so using his 'cheque book' is an 'ends to a means'...

and also he knows, through experience, the fickle nature of the pirate fans when their team is on a losing streak, ie crowds dwindle as the fair weather supporters stop turning up just leaving the die hards...

hence, he needs to keep his team successful or the 'speculation' on salaries at the start of the season will leave the club on a poor financial footing......

the only gripe I would have is the way he ignored a directive re the lakeside meeting and rode completely rough shod over the integrity of the league, (which if I am honest does dilute pooles achievement considerably in my eyes as they subsequently got points from the restaging, which, without getting, they wouldnt have qualified for the playoffs)

other than that blatant disregard for the rules, he seems to run a professional business model which a few others may consider following...

other than that blatant disregard for the rules, he seems to run a professional business model which a few others may consider following...

:blink::shock:

Don`t think i have ever seen `blatant disregard for the rules` and `runs a professional business model which a few others may consider following` in the same sentence.

Edited by stevebrum
  • Like 3