British Speedway Forum
pirateandi

Birmingham V Poole Grand Final 2nd Leg

Congratulations to Poole. Whatever anybody thinks of their way of doing things, or the play off system, the record books will show that the Pirates are the Champions of 2013.

It should be remembered that whilst Poole snuck into the play offs and went on to beat the table topping side, they themselves have been on the receiving end of that equation twice in recent years, Their championship is no less valid than the Bees in 2010 or the Robins last year.

I do not agree with everything Poole do, but I certainly wish my own team's promotion showed as much determination and desire to win as the Poole management.

The most sensible post on here following the final from a non Poole supporter. Makes a change from the anti Poole abundantly jealous posters.

• Like 1

Having just watched the Sky Broadcast all I can say is, as I thought, Pirates didn't need to get out of second gear. All the work was done in the first leg and last night was just about being sensible.

Well done to the hundreds and hundreds of Pirates fans who made the 350 mile round trip to cheer on the boys to victory. It shows passion when not one single person pulled out of going on the three booked coaches from the day before. The noise we all generated was fantastic and it's probably the most Poole fans I have ever seen at an away speedway league meeting.

A wonderful title. Fully deserved and a big thank you has to go out to Matt Ford for never giving up. Five titles is proof that he is doing it right.

For Birmingham, I know exactly how their fans are feeling having suffered the same in 2010 and last season. Very disappointing to finish top and get no reward.

Smolinski ha now fully reverted to the rider we expected to see. A second string/reserve who had a blinding start to the season before slowly fading back to his expected for. GP Rider? Bring back Dryml.

Doyley was excellent. Really gave it a go and the best Brum rider by the proverbial mile.

King was poor in the first leg and unfortunately got injured before a lap was up. Hope he is OK.

Barker was found seriously wanting over the two legs. Showed up after the title had gone.

Harris battled as always but his best days are behind him. The pace was perhaps too fast?

Covatti was woeful to be honest. Where was the battler from earlier this season?

Auty tried and did his job. nasty fall in his last but he seemed hopefully OK.

For Poole:

Ward is just two classes above most of the riders there last night.

THJ battled in every race but threw away points.

Hancock did what was asked. No risk racing.

Janowski did a job. Needs to sort out his motivational mind set at meetings?

Josh G was man of both meetings and scored superbly in both. I hunted him out to say well done to him last night and he was chuffed to bits with how he had done. Well done than man.

Newman did more than expected and well done to him. A Poole lad winning a Championship medal!

I think Brum mad a couple of mistakes. Their season flat lined. It is very nice to say we kept the same seven riders all season, but as the season progressed they never stepped up a gear. The results coming in gave them a false sense of security as they remained at the top, but I always felt the winner of the league would come from the other semi final, and so it proved. Smolinski's points had deserted him, Barker and King were blowing hot and cold and the Brum reserves, who were a force earlier this season, went AWOL.

As I said its not nice to lose when your team finishes top of the pile but we all know the rules and it's happened to Poole twice in the last 4 years. The playoffs bring much more to the sport than not having them so they are here to stay.

Hilarious moment of the night was the interview of the Lord Mayor of Birmingham and his wife. the Mayor said he had never been to speedway before but would "try" to come again next season. When the lady Mayor was asked the same question, she said, " maybe".

• Like 1

But if even one person watching is curious to find out and ends up taking their family to speedway, then that's a few more fans the sport didn't have before. I really don't understand why initiatives like this to publicise the sport are criticised.

Its not a criticism, just an observation...

Edited by blupanther

I think Brum mad a couple of mistakes. Their season flat lined. It is very nice to say we kept the same seven riders all season, but as the season progressed they never stepped up a gear. The results coming in gave them a false sense of security as they remained at the top,

Overall a fair summary Steve of the meeting.

I disagree that they `never stepped up a gear as the season progressed tho`. They continued to build strength as the season went on. They only failed to step up in the play offs, they weren't all that convincing against us. Poole have huge experience when it comes to big nights and the Brummies sadly lacked any experience or fight.

Smolinski, after a superb season, was absolutely dire. It was like he was guesting for an absent number one and was still carrying his 5 point something average. Absolutely shocking.

I agree Doyle over 2 legs was fantastic but Brum`s `strength` at reserve was also dire.

Covatti was woeful to be honest. Where was the battler from earlier this season?

You do talk sh1te Steve! ;)

Heat 12: Auty, Covatti, Grajczonek, Hancock. (5-1)

Edited by Flyin Panther

Just caught the first lap of heat 15 during half-time from Wembley (forgot Poole TV was on actually), didn't look like & doesn't sound like I missed much?

Gifted when it was all over.

To be fair Poole had the tie won by then.

It shows passion when not one single person pulled out of going on the three booked coaches from the day before.

Now that, with respect, is just silly. No-one pulled out of a trip that was perhaps 99 per cent certain to result in Elite League title celebrations? Well, there's dedication.

• Like 2

Where was he in heat 2 Newman and Grajczonek would have needed binoculars to see him!

I had hoped to be there on Monday even booked some holiday off work to get to the meeting but the weather put pay to that. I couldn’t get there last night due to work but I have just watched the meeting this morning after recording it.

Congratulations to the Pirates a rather apt nickname as they did rather steal the title but everyone knows the rules at the start off the season and I was there in 2010 jumping around when Coventry came from nowhere to take the title from Poole, so what goes around comes around. And I’m sure nearly all; if not all speedway fans are happy when Greg wins a trophy.

I thought last night was a decent meeting given the track conditions and any new fans watching would have enjoyed it. Auty in heat 8 spectacular overtaking and as much as we don’t want to see riders injured new fans can be attracted by crashes and there was a few last night (sorry but crashes do sell the sport).

As for the stick Matt Ford gets I have to disagree with a lot of it. I think he is a fantastic promoter, he has a great team, racing in the best stadium with the biggest support, if only there were a few more like him in British speedway it would be much stronger. And if he can get the best for his team when it comes to rule changes then good on him others should be equally as strong.

As for the air horn issues, it’s not right that Mr Buck got abuse but come on its the grand final honestly did you think fans of either side would not make as noise as is possible and I guess most Poole fans were unaware of the no air horn policy.

My commiserations to the Birmingham fans I just hope your back again next year and hopefully in the top flight, It would be nice if Birmingham or any future winners of the league are awarded something to show for their efforts maybe a pendant they could fly outside their stadium as they do in county cricket.

But questions have to be asked about Birmingham’s strength when it matters? How many times have Birmingham failed in big matches since they returned, be it play off’s or cup finals apart the Wolves victories a couple of weeks ago I can’t remember them winning any crucial meeting either home or away.

Edited by Pirio Barre
  • Like 1

But questions have to be asked about Birmingham’s strength when it matters? How many times have Birmingham failed in big matches since they returned, be it play off’s or cup finals apart the Wolves victories a couple of weeks ago I can’t remember them winning any crucial meeting either home or away.

This "proud" tradition began in 1981 v. Ipswich in the KO Cup Final.

Without checking the history books, last night was probably the closest we have come to winning a single tie in a major competition final since 1974!

Edited by Graham C

This "proud" tradition began in 1981 v. Ipswich in the KO Cup Final.

Frank Ebdon :shock: i was there

:blink::shock:

Don`t think i have ever seen `blatant disregard for the rules` and `runs a professional business model which a few others may consider following` in the same sentence.

I didnt think you would need a 'whooooosh'!!! ;)