British Speedway Forum
pirateandi

Birmingham V Poole Grand Final 2nd Leg

• Am I being naïve… but am I the only one getting the feeling that Play-Off success is manufactured and manipulated.

Poole, albeit because of injury, have made so many changes this year… their line-up resembled a side pieced together for a benefit or testimonial meeting compared to the Brummies, an honest enough septet but really, a bit green around the gills and who played by the rules throughout the campaign, topped the table to lead the qualifiers, and yet have been found out for being too honest.

It is a bit like a wrestling match, the underdog has the upper hand throughout before the main contender, with spinach in hand, rips open it lid and throws it down his gullet, gaining strength, and, by jolly, just at the right time.

It is like that scene from the old black and white movie, the damsel tied to the track, the train approaching and the villain laughing. We know, it’s either a case of all blood and whatever or the damsel escapes.

Poole were always going to come out on top, and I found the celebrations a bit over the top by their officials. There was – and will be – no other outcome but another Poole triumph.

I don’t dislike Poole, they play by the rules (mostly) and deserve all their success and reputation as a leading – the leading – club in speedway. They don’t sit by idly when a top guy like Holder gets taken out, they act on it and succeed where others fail… this time Hancock’s return to British speedway. Is it that Poole tried to hard and gave him what he wanted, or others whinged and said he didn’t want to return?
    Well done Poole; commiserations, Birmingham.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

I thought the Brummie promoter said they had 5 number 1's?

Top end strength V Strength in depth? I think Matt Ford has proved that top end strength is always going to be better.

Maybe he meant 5 riders who will score 1 ;)

I think last night is why I despise the play-off's. One bad luck night can decide the League Title, rather than the previous several months of hard work. A league title should not be decided on one bad night.

• Like 2

Poole were 24 points in front of Coventry in 2010 but lost it the same way as Brum last night. It's tough for the fans of the team at the top but those are the rules.

• Like 2

This fixture is far from certain and anyone who says it is, is completely wrong to do so. We could also have an off night like Birmingham did last night. We cant go in thinking this is won as that is when it will explode in our face, the feet need remain on the ground and focused to finish the job off.

I won't be saying anything until the championship is decided by 10.30 next Monday evening who ever are the champions.

WARNING there is history of a famous comeback by the underdog in a two legged match between Birmingham and Poole

In July & August 1955 Poole (then in div2) & Brum (div1) met in the National Trophy and it took 4 meetings and 72 heats to decide the tie, the first leg at Perry Bar ended Bummies 56 Pirates 52 the second leg was won by Poole with the same score and tie had to be replayed, this happened on 17th & 18th August Birmingham won the 1st match by 26 points 67 – 41 the next night at Wimborne Rd Poole against all the odds won 69 – 39 this now part of Poole folk law.

I am not saying that history will repeat its self this time in favour of Birmingham., BUT IT COULD DO

Edited by willstaxi

This fixture is far from certain and anyone who says it is, is completely wrong to do so. We could also have an off night like Birmingham did last night. We cant go in thinking this is won as that is when it will explode in our face, the feet need remain on the ground and focused to finish the job off.

I won't be saying anything until the championship is decided by 10.30 next Monday evening who ever are the champions.

You are Graham Drury and I claim my prize.

2 coachloads of Poole fans booked already!! Should be a great night for the Brummies promotion!! :t:

I think last night is why I despise the play-off's. One bad luck night can decide the League Title, rather than the previous several months of hard work. A league title should not be decided on one bad night.

Welcome to Poole's world!! :P

We know how that feels, Poole have twice in recent years been league champions and lost to a better side on the night,not bottled it like some try to say but beaten by a better team when it mattered most.

• Am I being naïve… but am I the only one getting the feeling that Play-Off success is manufactured and manipulated.

Er, no, most certainly not.

Possible but highly unlikley that Birmingham will comeback from 21pt deficit..., well done Poole but when are the promotion going to sort that track out at Wimborne road (Rough)!!

This fixture is far from certain and anyone who says it is, is completely wrong to do so.

I dare say nobody officially will say it but everyone knows its a foregone conclusion after last nights showing.

• Like 1

This is not over by a long shot.

Hancock and 2nd leg Elite League final leads don't work out!

Agree if Grajczonek gets injured in Heat 2 the final is back on anything can happen

Last night was hardly bad luck. Birmingham just got trounced by a much better side on the night.