British Speedway Forum
pirateandi

Birmingham V Poole Grand Final 2nd Leg

I don't mind the Play Off's although the League Winners should be the Champions and the Play Off winners, should be, well, the Play Off winners.

Poole have been the best team in the Play Off's by a country mile, however an unbalanced EL fixture list devalues any Play Off qualification and subsequent title win.

Should Poole win the Play Off's, such a victory will ultimately be the most hollow and meaningless in the sport's history due to their dubious shenanigans over the greater part of the season :t:

Edited by yerropes
  • Like 1

This is not over by a long shot.

Hancock and 2nd leg Elite League final leads don't work out!

Reading didnt have much of a lead did they

Edited by foreverblue

not really true depends what dross you have backing it up.

Poole had Ward Holder and Magic at the start and couldnt win anything because the rest were poor.

Now you have got decent back up you win matches.

Its how the team is built not just the two big hitters at the top

Youve been saying how crap poole are apart from Ward and Hancock for weeks now yet they make the final and romp away with the first leg and you say they have good back up?

You talk complete nonsense and your anti poole rants are comical you get so worked up

Just face it poole had a bad start but made changes and have come good when it matters and the other teams have flopped. Poole have been the form team for weeks now and despite the fact they finished fourth they have always looked the favorites to me and to most others including the bookies

• Like 2

This is not over by a long shot.

Hancock and 2nd leg Elite League final leads don't work out!

What price are you quoting Poole then.

Personally I think it's a 50/50 match.

Poole to score at least 50 in each leg? :lol:

Barring a major shock, and I wish the Brummies well, the title is Poole's. So a damp squib end to Sky's weekly

coverage of the Elite League.

Like most paying customers I loathe the principle of double points. You might get away with explaining to a non speedway person that a rider can get 6 points for winning a race. But one who scores 4 for second place when the winner gets 3 defies all logic.

I also feel that no two teams should both use rider replacement in any match. I dont care if one team is

missing a number 2 while its opponents are missing a number 3 - it means too many delays. Equally when an

unsatisfactory start is called with all four back the pit gate should remain locked.

Meetings should start on time and no excuses for 2.5 to 3 hours to run 15 races is acceptable except for

serious injuries. Speedway, with or without Sky needs to think of paying fans and their kids who have work/school the next morning.

I cant congratulate Poole, too many factors in that Belle Vue v Pirates televised match stunk to high heaven.

Edited by remembertheracers
  • Like 8

A league title should not be decided on one bad night.

Perhaps i should break the astonishing news that the title is decided decided over two legs .

WARNING there is history of a famous comeback by the underdog in a two legged match between Birmingham and Poole

In July & August 1955 Poole (then in div2) & Brum (div1) met in the National Trophy and it took 4 meetings and 72 heats to decide the tie, the first leg at Perry Bar ended Bummies 56 Pirates 52 the second leg was won by Poole with the same score and tie had to be replayed, this happened on 17th & 18th August Birmingham won the 1st match by 26 points 67 – 41 the next night at Wimborne Rd Poole against all the odds won 69 – 39 this now part of Poole folk law.

I am not saying that history will repeat its self this time in favour of Birmingham., BUT IT COULD DO

It doesn't involve Poole but in 2007 Birmingham were trounced away at Rye House (I can't remember which competition it was in, or be bothered to look). In the return leg Rye, who were operating r/r, lost Woffinden and Tommy Allen in the first couple of heats and had to complete the rest of the meeting with 4 riders and lost the meeting and the tie heavily. Obviously, the odds are monumentally heavily against it but it's not impossible.

I would prefer a system where there is a trophy for finishing top of the league e.g. The minor championship and then an overall one for winning the play offs much like Australian rugby league.

The problem is if you are top of the league you are unlikely to make changes during the season bar injury as you are doing well. However if you are doing badly through injury or initial pick then you change to strengthen. Whilst weak at the beginning of the season it is clear that Peterborough and Poole were the strongest as it approached the play-offs. Can't blame them for changing their teams as the purpose is to win the league but it just feels a little unfair on teams like the Brummies who stay with the starting 7.

• Like 1

Agree if Grajczonek gets injured in Heat 2 the final is back on anything can happen

dont wish injuries on people. i know what you are trying to say but would rather it be won on the track

Youve been saying how crap poole are apart from Ward and Hancock for weeks now yet they make the final and romp away with the first leg and you say they have good back up?

You talk complete nonsense and your anti poole rants are comical you get so worked up

Just face it poole had a bad start but made changes and have come good when it matters and the other teams have flopped. Poole have been the form team for weeks now and despite the fact they finished fourth they have always looked the favorites to me and to most others including the bookies

ha ha comical.

if you care to read posts correctly ive always said how bad Poole were at the start then due to Darcys injury made changes and ive actually said Matt Ford is good for Poole in this way.

Ive said its obvious Poole are the form team and should romp the play offs.

2 weak links in Tungate and Dyer happen to be missing helps them.

Have a good look at what i write before coming up with your usual dross

and the only signing ive said is weak is Dyer instead of Howarth and i was proved right.

nothing like twisting words

and just in case you still cant comprehend please check out post 28 in 'congratulations elite league champs poole' where i do praise Matt Ford and what he does for Poole, but yet how bad he is for British Speedway

oh and also that particular post has got 10 people liking it but i guess we are all wrong and the poole massive are right

I cant congratulate Poole, too many factors in that Belle Vue v Pirates televised match stunk to high heaven.

For the umpeenth time we would not have been at Belle Vue that night had it not been for Water(main)gate.

Do you think that was honest and above board? We would have got 4 league points that night if it had gone ahead.

Edited by Pirate Baz

For the umpeenth time we would not have been at Belle Vue that night had it not been for Water(main)gate.

Do you think that was honest and above board? We would have got 4 league points that night if it had gone ahead.

And how many against Lakeside when you called it off ?
  • Like 2