British Speedway Forum

Have to say this interview would have looked much better on Euro sport ... as for putting someone on a question of sport I think it would have to be Chris Harris .

logical - he has history of being picked ahead of more worthy candidates! wink

Another BBC program that might be worth a shot is The One Show - think he would be able to get a longer slot in the program with a few more action shots and a chance to give a bit more info on/sell the sport than he on the beeb this morning

According to google, Tom Sykes is also a motorcycle road racer. But neither of them are in the betting for SPOTY, whereas Tai is.

Yes. That's the betting that I was referring to.

Tom Sykes is on the verge of becoming World Superbike champion and comes from Huddersfield. Will be interesting to see if the BBC pick up on him if he wins that championship.

Also, Sam Lowes has just become World Supersport champion and comes from Lincoln. He was interviewed by Chris Evans on Monday but not heard anything more about him, certainly not on the TV.

Edited by Hel'n'Back

The BBC changed the rules for SPOTY so you only can now vote for about a dozen people . How democratic is that. This was done to stop Barry Briggs or Bob Nudd the fisherman from winning. The Speedway Star and Angling Times asked all their readers to vote for these two which they did. As BBC did not show these sports there was no way they were going to let these contestents win. . It's great with all the sports people that play in Britain you cannot vote for 99% of them .Well done the BBC. Ryan Giggs won SPOTY yet he only played 11 full time matches for Man Utd that season

Philip R it would be interesting to hear your views on the Barry Briggs stitch up in the 1960's

OF course, there has never been any definitive proof because the BBC would not reveal voting numbers and a top Sunday newspaper columnist of the time denounced the original "a vote for Briggo is a vote for speedway" campaign led by Speedway Star in 1964 after Barry had won his third World title in Sweden. But there was certainly a very string belief that Barry did, in fact, poll more votes than Mary Rand, who ironically became a close friend and near neighbour of Barry and June in California.

There was far less suspicion of rigging in 1966 (BB again won in Sweden) when he was runner-up to Bobby Moore who, of course, had England to their first and only World Cup win at Wembley.

how much are the blankets, i reckon i could do a roaring trade flogging those off at rye house next season!.

not just at rye house mate....

these beauties will fly out all round the country...

there is an option for 'tassels' on the blankets should they be wanted and I believe that as an added bonus, on the night in question there will be the opportunity to purchase extra strong cotton, which will be demonstrated as ideal for sewing on 'patch badges' to sleeveless denim jackets (or even wulfsport ones)!!! ;):D

Speedway needs a positive image, Not one with tattoo's and a view that speedway is a trash sport.

We need a world champion like Darcy Ward, No tattoo's and speaks articulately.. Ward's interviews are fascinating and the tone of his voice is really interesting.

Oh aye! Has the perfect image for promoting the sport.

Let's have a look at his roll of honour ....

... on second thoughts best not to.

They can't even be discussed on an internet forum.

Never mind, I'm sure the Aussie bobbies found him articulate when he was wired to the moon.

But his voice was really interesting when they read him his rights.

• Like 1

Phil , I was told by sombody in the BBC that they would not allow Barry Briggs to win and I think Bob Nudd the Angler polled so many votes that the BBC were so embarrassed they would not allow it. . So now they have a closed shop, so if you wanted to vote for Tai Woffinden you will not be allow to. What sort of competition is this.

Phil , I was told by sombody in the BBC that they would not allow Barry Briggs to win and I think Bob Nudd the Angler polled so many votes that the BBC were so embarrassed they would not allow it. . So now they have a closed shop, so if you wanted to vote for Tai Woffinden you will not be allow to. What sort of competition is this.

what it always was...

a farce...

simply an opportunity for the beeb to self indulgently show the nations licence fee payers that they still cover some sport...

if it hasn't been covered by the beeb, you wont win...

simples,,,

if it hasn't been covered by the beeb, you wont win it

simples,,,

Good point just like Bradley Wiggins last year ... :blink:

Good point just like Bradley Wiggins last year ... :blink:

indeed.....

and the many other olympic champions were manna from heaven for our nations broadcaster.....

Are you a troll or just totally clueless?

Someone trying very hard to create an image .... Unsuccessfully.

Smokescreen for something else?

Your dead right about darcy ward what a wonderful role model & has for his articulate cut glass vocabulary I am very suprised he's not in downton.

I'm surprised He's not in Porridge!

• Like 2

don't think Tai will be on the nominated 10 for people to vote for at SPOTY...these are decided by an sporting panel and will be dominated by high profile names or ones appearing regualarly on the BBC....cannot see Tai getting into that, although he will no doubt get a mention in the round up of British world champions

i think he is a certainty to be invited on Question of Sport though...and A League of their Own on Sky maybe ..i think he would be ideal for that show

a do agree that more people out there could name Cal Crutchlow though.....

Totally agree with your expectations for Tai. That should be the minimum, but it is really the maximum he will get. I'll accept it for what it is.