British Speedway Forum
markyb

Speedway 2014 And Beyond

Worked it out for the future.

Forget the league system - just have challenge matches from March until Late August and then

Have a raffle between all the sides who want to compete in an "elite" (Laughs out loud !) league for the play-offs

I will even provide the raffle tickets (99p stores)

This way no need to moan about endless guests and rider replacement facilities - and in September/October, the teams that win the raffle can use all the money they robbed off their supporters during the summer months to bring in the top quality riders.

Simples !

Reduce meetings down to 10 heats and bring back the Golden Helmet match races for those riders who can race on super-dewy track surfaces.

Worked it out for the future.

Forget the league system - just have challenge matches from March until Late August and then

Have a raffle between all the sides who want to compete in an "elite" (Laughs out loud !) league for the play-offs

I will even provide the raffle tickets (99p stores)

This way no need to moan about endless guests and rider replacement facilities - and in September/October, the teams that win the raffle can use all the money they robbed off their supporters during the summer months to bring in the top quality riders.

Simples !

Don't forget to make sure the winning tickets go down Dorset way.

Some sort of second half racing could be provided, surely......? Even if its a couple or 3 of reserves only races and a "star of the night" type event.... so as below;

3 reserves races perhaps including an up and coming NL rider against the home and away reserves. ... 1 race in between each of the mini star of the night races (that would eliminate waiting with the inevitable 2 rides on the trot scenario)

The three heat star of the night event could work like it used to.... 3 qualifying races, the 3 winners and fastest second place to a final...

Giving 7 extra races..... so a total of 22 in total or 20 if reverting to 13 heat matches..

Why did the traditional second half dissappear anyway?

Edited by Never to old

The second half disappeared for two reasons: Firstly, the truth is that most fans left as soon as the match was over, and the terraces were virtually empty. Secondly, more and more riders were getting permission from the referee, to leave early, and miss their races because of other racing commitments. That's how I recall it, anyway.

The second half disappeared for two reasons: Firstly, the truth is that most fans left as soon as the match was over, and the terraces were virtually empty. Secondly, more and more riders were getting permission from the referee, to leave early, and miss their races because of other racing commitments. That's how I recall it, anyway.

Spot on, and despite the constant clamour to "Bring back second halves" people still leave in (comparative) droves straight after the main match, and that's in addition to those that have already left before heat 15!

Can someone tell me the benefit of having second halves brought back?

Edited by george.m

Can someone tell me the benefit of having second halves brought back?

Not sure there are any, those days are long gone and best kept in the past imo...
  • Like 2

I was thinking of the "value for money element" for spectators.....

Or, increase the number of races in league matches then.... make the matches 18 races

Why oh why do we have to moan so much. Let us just go to the stadium, support our teams and enjoy the racing. Thought that was the basic idea of speedway. It is a spectator sport and ther for our entertainment.

• Like 1

I would bring back the old "Rider of the Night" second halves, with points accumulated in the finals throughthe season counting as qualification for the League Riders Championship meeting, plus two heats of reserves and home track second strings, like we used to have

May need to revert to the old 13 heat match to accommodate this - definitely will need to revert to the old tactical substitute system, which at least gave fans extra rides from the better riders

So that's a 19 heat programme each meeting, with a meaningful 2nd half

I would bring back the old "Rider of the Night" second halves, with points accumulated in the finals throughthe season counting as qualification for the League Riders Championship meeting, plus two heats of reserves and home track second strings, like we used to have

May need to revert to the old 13 heat match to accommodate this - definitely will need to revert to the old tactical substitute system, which at least gave fans extra rides from the better riders

So that's a 19 heat programme each meeting, with a meaningful 2nd half

It used to bring a lot of youngsters through racing against second strings I could name a few that came through that system and rode for Cov first team in the 60s/70s