British Speedway Forum
skthecat

Are There Any British Premier League Riders, Ability Wise, Who Could Take The "step Up" To The Elite League?

If the Sky deal is not renewed...... All of them

They might kind of speak the lingo but British they aint! Even if Alex was born in Peterborough.

Are his parent/s British?

Cameron Heeps best be or Mildenhall and Ipswich have some questions to answer. :neutral:

Last year he rode in the Oz champs which I think means he has lost any 'right' to appear for GB.

Cameron Heeps best be or Mildenhall and Ipswich have some questions to answer. :neutral:

His twitter bio states "Australian". Plus he's raced Aussie titles bad not British.

Part of the blame (if there needs to be any) lays with the authorities - Nick Morris for example seemed ready to make the pledge but was not offered any qualifying place that wouldve confirmed his allegience and hence rode in the Oz champs instead.

• Like 1

Ability wise, Barker & Cook should be full time EL riders, I think Barker has said the current setup makes it too difficult to make the EL pay unless you can get some good rides on the continent.

If they can stay as they are,that's ideal for them,they're the kind of riders that can get a ride in Poland etc.The Elite/Premier gap is always closing,who knows what will happen next year if SKY pull the plug,I could see the Elite league possibly getting diluted Edited by Gearhead

Do you not think that the likes of Cook, Barker, Auty etc doubling up is stifling premier league spots for the up and coming national league riders.......... perhaps doubling up should only be allowed for one season? Then you takes your choice....

Do you not think that the likes of Cook, Barker, Auty etc doubling up is stifling premier league spots for the up and coming national league riders.......... perhaps doubling up should only be allowed for one season? Then you takes your choice....

Dont agree. They are not blocking spaces for NL calibre riders. The perenial sub 4 point foreigners are blocking those spaces if anyone is.
  • Like 2

It's called ambition and it leads to the Swedish and Polish leagues. It also leads to a good SWC team.

Edited by tiberon

Part of the blame (if there needs to be any) lays with the authorities - Nick Morris for example seemed ready to make the pledge but was not offered any qualifying place that wouldve confirmed his allegience and hence rode in the Oz champs instead.

I'm pretty sure he didn't ride in the Oz championships which is why Swindon got a British discount last year. Following some politics in the GB setup, I think he then chose to ride for Australia in a test series and I think it was that which sorted out his speedway "nationality". Although certain Poole posters probably know better as they went on about for the whole season :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he didn't ride in the Oz championships which is why Swindon got a British discount last year. Following some politics in the GB setup, I think he then chose to ride for Australia in a test series and I think it was that which sorted out his speedway "nationality". Although certain Poole posters probably know better as they went on about for the whole season :rolleyes:

As I wrote the SS recently there is a direct link between the decline of the national side and the doubling up rule. Since Harris, only King and Woffy have become int. standard riders. Cook scored a max.at Leicester in 2011 and should have moved up two years ago. Worral this year and Kerr next. Maybe even Lambert. All the best Brits of the past 30 yrs did one year or less in lower tier Eg Lee, Carter, Havelock, Tatum, Nicholls and Richardson. It,s even worse if you support a Friday night track with numerous opposition riders missing due to PL commitments.

Kyle Newman has improved year on year and with top equipment would be very good indeed .

You took the words right out of my mouth mate, i was going to post this last night but couldn't post.. Kyle has improved a lot in the last two years, and went a long way to proving that in the EL final home and away, but has never really had the Equipment to be able to prove it. Kyle is a very nice lad, who comes across very well, not flashy, but very down to earth, he talks to people on their own level, he explains things to them, and always thanks them for their interest, and although he has quite a few very good loyal smaller sponsors, he needs a big backer for him to be able to compete with the bigger boys. The better his equipment the better he will go.