British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number6

No Spark/ Dyno Change

I have having trouble to get a spark on a Jawa laydown I have cleaned all earthing points and checked all wiring. I am using a selecta red box and ignition from my running engine. The only thing I have not tried is the dyno (silver thing that sits in middle of red ignition behind case) But do I need a pulley to get them off or can I make something to use? Thanks

Two bolts that go al the way through the threaded holes in the rotor will do the job.

Brilliant thank you Vince, I have changed that so got my complete ignition and spark plug from my working bike and there is still no spark! any ideas on what could be wrong? Thanks

tried cut out still nothing. Could my timing be out? does anyone have the disc and tools needed to set up timing? also a brief run through of how to do it thanks

tried cut out still nothing. Could my timing be out? does anyone have the disc and tools needed to set up timing? also a brief run through of how to do it thanks

If the timing is out, you will still get a spark. Have you taken the cutout out of the sytem altogether and just tried it with the coil and stator?

You make no mention of the spark plug but I assume you have tried another.

I know that you said you cleaned all the earth connections but is the earth wire ok?

When you swapped the coil did you swap the plug cap with it?

Sorry if these questions seem pointless but if you have changed the coil and stator from your other working bike, and checked teh cutout it should work.

hello thanks I have tried every thing apart from trying to run without a cut out. Its just this bike was fully running and ok but I changed engine and nothing else changed i.e red box & cut out then I didn't get a spark so I took the plug, red ignition and dyno out of my running engine and put into this engine, still no spark. I am really confused that's why I thought if timing was out then I would not get a spark!

Maybe engine just needs to hit the scrap heap!!!

hello thanks I have tried every thing apart from trying to run without a cut out. Its just this bike was fully running and ok but I changed engine and nothing else changed i.e red box & cut out then I didn't get a spark so I took the plug, red ignition and dyno out of my running engine and put into this engine, still no spark. I am really confused that's why I thought if timing was out then I would not get a spark!

Maybe engine just needs to hit the scrap heap!!!

The engine condition has nothing to do with the spark. I hope that when you are saying there is no spark you are meaning no spark at the plug and not that the engine doesn't run.

In effect, there are only 4 components to the system: the spark plug, the cutout, the coil, and the stator/rotor.

You have changed the coil and the rotor/stator from a good bike that runs so they are ok. Can you confirm that you changed the rotor as well as the stator?

You have changed the plug for a good one so that is ok.

That only leaves the cutout, so connect up the system without it in the loop and see what happens, or swap it from the bike that does work.Hope this helps.

I will try by passing the cut out every thing is off my running bike even the cut out! It is really strange.

From my running bike I am using the same chassis and following parts from my running engine,

Cut out

Red Ignition box

Spark Plug

Spark plug Cap

Red ignition (behind casing)

the Silver cylinder magnet dyno that sits on shaft in middle of red ignition.

All earthing points have been cleaned as well.

So I am really stumped as everything has been used from my running bike onto this engine.

I will try by passing the cut out every thing is off my running bike even the cut out! It is really strange.

From my running bike I am using the same chassis and following parts from my running engine,

Cut out

Red Ignition box

Spark Plug

Spark plug Cap

Red ignition (behind casing)

the Silver cylinder magnet dyno that sits on shaft in middle of red ignition.

All earthing points have been cleaned as well.

So I am really stumped as everything has been used from my running bike onto this engine.

How are you testing for a spark ?

having plug in plug cap and wife holding it against the engine plate whilst I spin the back wheel

It's probably sparking , it's really difficult to turn the wheel fast enough and see the spark at the same time . heres a couple of suggestions for you , 1. assemble the known good ignition and try starting the bike , 2, get your wife to hold the plug not the cap and see if she yelps :) . . whats your skill level with speedway engines on a scale of 1 to 10 , because there is another way but you would need to be at least 6 .