British Speedway Forum
Trees

Your Stadium Assessment?

Was thinking this morning how I notice things that aren't so great about our stadiums and which could be put right with a little effort. So why not start a thread to give our promoters an idea about what we think could be improved . .

Kings Lynn: nobody has done more in the last few years than Buster to improve their stadium and he's still going strong but I'd like him to make sure the tannoy system is always loud enough on the first bend, I'm also wondering if there is anything he could do about the centre grey, I realise it gets a lot of hard from the stocks and bangers but I'm wondering if it was painted in places if it would last with some touching up during the season? Might be a complete waste of time I guess! I'm a huge fan of flags too, those were the days when we had them up in the centre green etc

I'd also like to see pics of all the Stars teams over the years put up in the bar, celebrating the history of the club . .

At most stadiums the speedway promoters are only tenants not the owners. It is up to the latter to make imporvements and if asked they probably would consider it - but of course increasing their rental to pay for the work. And possibly asking a substantial deposit upfront for work.

So far as the stadium owners are concerned, their only requirement is to meet the safety standards for stadiums as required by 'Elf 'n Safety rules. Improvement to benefit speedway are not really their concern unless undertaken on a contractual basis with the speedway promoter.

I know that Gustix BUT there are things that the speedway promoters can do I'm sure if it improves the stadium, paint, repair, clear up etc ............. all fans moan about how old and decrepit stadiums are, perhaps they could do something about it, working party etc? Just a positive thought ;)

The toilets at most stadiums are pretty, let's be polite, dire!

That would be one of my stipulations.

• Like 1

I agree. But at the end of the day it's up to the stadium owners not the speedway promoter who can only ask for improvements to be made.

Firstly to be able to comment on the state of any Stadium you have to have been there recently (this season).

Yes some facilities are not what we would like and improvements could be made, but they still run our beloved sport..

So to facilitate and satisfy others, can we please have a list of these Stadium owners that dont run the speedway operation are and why they dont improve facilities after receiving complaints?

Went to Kings Lynn in the Play Off Final and couldnt think of a better place to host speedway. Everything was brilliant, the bar the shop the coffee the track the toilets are some of the best Ive visited this year! The stands were at a brilliant height but that is for the stock car racing i suppose cause the wall around the outside was high!

Been to Stoke and thats a differnt story all together, horrid place but only needs some TLC and a lick of paint and some grass that looks nice and again were away!

Buxton aswell was great, yes it was containers and portacabins but just needs some TLC and spuruce up and again it would be better!

If the Heathens ever get a track I would help out cleaning, tidying litter picking and I would really look after it as it would mean so much to me!

• Like 1

Great reply Hunty :)

I guess we need to approach our promoters re helping?

Working parties etc probably go on every year, I know they do, but let's give our promoters an idea about what we think needs to be done? Maybe a paint company could be approached by the BSPA (Johnstones?) to sponsor them with paint (probably been done before?) as a whole for advertising at every stadium?

If Sandhu had his way Brandon would probably look very different than it does now. Brandon is known as a decent Speedway stadium but lets be honest even Brandon could do with an upgrade.

Great reply Hunty :)

I guess we need to approach our promoters re helping?

Working parties etc probably go on every year, I know they do, but let's give our promoters an idea about what we think needs to be done? Maybe a paint company could be approached by the BSPA (Johnstones?) to sponsor them with paint (probably been done before?) as a whole for advertising at every stadium?

How much paint would be needed for a stadium. I could not be done by working parties but because of "Elf And Safety would have to be done by professional teams because of the structure of a stadium and the scafolding needed. A good idea but it would also need, as I said before, in most cases the approval of the stadium owners.

Donated paint by a sponsor company sounds a good idea but it would be expensive although I have no idea what a costing would be from a paint company to improve a stadium. Would the value of supplying the paint be worthwhile to them?

For all my views, it does look like something well worth giving consideration to.

Yes - but that is only a 'WEE' problem after all. ;):o:D:D

Birmingham's stadium at Perry Barr is always and span and very presentable and the toilets are maintained to a very high standard. Unfortunately the venue is let down by the fact that much of the spectating areas are very flat and don't give a very good view of the track. The view from the tiered glass fronted bar area however is excellent but of course, many supporters do not like watching from inside even this this has its consolations on wet or cold nights.

The speedway club has done what it can to improve things, purchasing two temporary sections of covered terracing and adding other uncovered terraced areas where there is room to fit them in. The GRA have been very co-operative, especially the staff at the stadium, but they won't allow anything which obstructs the view of the greyhound track and the bottom line is that at Birmingham, we can only work with what we have got.

I also regularly visit Wolverhampton where the viewing is very good, the toilets clean and well maintained although watching from inside the bar isn't so good as it is not tiered and only the people on the front row get a decent sight of the track, and Coventry which although a stadium needing a bit of a facelift, has good viewing and customer facilities though I don't much like the centre "black!"

Yes - but that is only a 'WEE' problem after all. ;):o:D:D

But if could be more of a major problem !!!!

But if could be more of a major problem !!!!

Oh!! Sh*t. :o:blink:

I never thought of that. :D

• Like 1