British Speedway Forum
Phil

No Sky Or League Sponsorship Money Etc...

so in a nutshell the money Sky gave to speedway in previous seasons has gone to waste?....its little wonder when you have guys on £100-£200 a point and promoters in the winter months being played off of each other by riders demanding higher wages.

Looking at riders nowadays, most of them need at least two or three mechanics, a new and sign written van, more engines than they can count on one hand, engine tuning every week when in reality the real problem is the consistancy of the rider himself!

The main and biggest problem is that riders are taking more out of the game than is coming through the turnstyles, harsh but sadly true, how is this rectified? In reality it is nigh on impossible but somebody somewhere needs to buck the trend and sooner rather than later.

• Like 5

so in a nutshell the money Sky gave to speedway in previous seasons has gone to waste?....its little wonder when you have guys on £100-£200 a point and promoters in the winter months being played off of each other by riders demanding higher wages.

Looking at riders nowadays, most of them need at least two or three mechanics, a new and sign written van, more engines than they can count on one hand, engine tuning every week when in reality the real problem is the consistancy of the rider himself!

The main and biggest problem is that riders are taking more out of the game than is coming through the turnstyles, harsh but sadly true, how is this rectified? In reality it is nigh on impossible but somebody somewhere needs to buck the trend and sooner rather than later.

Good Post. Not nice to be so blunt but true. We in the UK cannot compete with the foreign countries when it comes to the number of supporters. For that reason we need a reality check. It is so wrong that the riders are being paid the kings ransom just to perform here when we haven't a chance in hell of making it pay. We need a structure in place that govern these things. If the riders are prepared to ride for these affordable prices, then good, if not then goodbye. We have to get back to the situation where the sport is the most important and the riders are just people who partake in it. and not the other way round.

We need speedway in this country, at a price that's affordable, and sustainable. if that can't be done with the top riders then we goes with those we can afford. SIMPLE!!!!

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 6

You've got some riders already on low money, only problem is they're basically broke, so have to pack up, it's a vicious circle, basic equipment is just not good enough.

The Promoters are their own worst enemy, they could all agree to only pay £50 a point, only trouble is, there will be one or two glory hunters who will pay a bit more, so then the rest have to follow suit, so as to remain competitive.

You've got some riders already on low money, only problem is they're basically broke, so have to pack up, it's a vicious circle, basic equipment is just not good enough.

The Promoters are their own worst enemy, they could all agree to only pay £50 a point, only trouble is, there will be one or two glory hunters who will pay a bit more, so then the rest have to follow suit, so as to remain competitive.

if a rider can't afford to fund a hobby then surely they shouldn't start in the first place?..after all in reality a lot of riders do not make a living out of the sport.

regarding sky in Brittany/Normandy.

yes its easy to get ( i have had it in the past) either by just moving your equipment across, but there are also companies in that area specializing in installing sky, i assume legally?

We moved our boxes with us and had dish installed by Brit Ex-Pat. Unfortunately Sky rang out of the blue and asked me my address. For my sins I was honest and told them. They kept flashing up a notice on screen telling me they needed more information from me. I have swopped the viewing card and so far so good, I await the next round !

BT Sport are spending an estimated £1bn a year, so will need around 5m subscribers to break even.

If they are not in that ball park of subscribers and new broadband customers by the end of next year, there will be an awful lot of pressure to pull the plug.

Have just signed up for free BT Sport. They said they will probably have to start charging customers next year, especially with the new football deal. They now have 4 million customers as opposed to Sky's 10.5 million, out of the 26 million homes in the UK.

Wouldn't cross the road to watch cricket and to hear anyone anywhere talking about it is a rarity.

its worth rembering that revenue for broadcasters (excluding BBC) also includes earnings from advertising. this figure is varable depending on the viewing numbers starting at a base level and building up from there. So there are many sports which have larger TV viwing than speedway so yet again another reason why the promoters need to make the sport more appealing to the public - I cant get to the meeting but I will watch it on TV!