British Speedway Forum
Phil

No Sky Or League Sponsorship Money Etc...

Ah yes, Cycle Speedway that's the future.....!? :t: Poole are pretty good at that too! :drink:

Of course - league winners, rich club, flying in Poles to make sure no one beats them. Not a lot changes lol

• Like 1

HRF is correct though, the EL does need to keep the likes of Holder, Ward and Woffinden. It's how you manage to keep them in this league and stay solvent.

Of course he's correct. It doesn't take an einstien to work that out. And it would be good to entice a few more to come back like Greggy ETC. But 3 things spring to mind, a shorter EL fixture list sponsorship and a TV deal. And thats why i say, two challenge fixtures end of march to give the riders a blow, then straight into the fixture list.

But again, do you have one home fixture every two weeks or once a week, and how do these stay away riders fit the EL in to their schedual?

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

I was alluding to the fact that we need more top class riders not just the 3 in the example. From my point of view, I want to see the top riders racing in the UK. The skill these ride possess is amazing and that is what I want to see on our tracks - and they don't always make the gate you know!!

hmm name one top gp rider that wouldnt out trap anyone in the EL next season.

ideally every team should have one, or no one should, dont think we can afford them now anyway

ideally every team should have one, or no one should, dont think we can afford them now anyway

Bomber was a GP rider and we all know about his starts.

Each team having a top rider was how it used to be of course so no change there and everybody bemoans the 'good old days'.

I just think the BSPA/Promoters/team owners are looking at it from the wrong angle. It appears that they are saying, this is the revenue we will get, how do we make the rider costs etc fit.

Successful businesses thrive by being bold and maybe in this case turn it upside down and say, this is standard we want the EL to be, now how do we achieve that revenue. I know it isn't easy and it requires all promotions to be on board but I just see the sport continuing to spiral down. I am not a Poole apologist but this seems to be Poole's strategy and they appear to be quite successful.

• Like 1

I was disappointed to see the 'dig' (?} at cycle speedway. It is a well organised amateur sport in its own right an run by people who are dedicated to it. There has been cycle speedway at least since 1946.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_speedway

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclespeedway

Not a 'dig' at all! (not from me, maybe Semion?!) The Poole track at Baiter is well attended and its a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!! In the context of the thread, my post was in response to Semion's, which seemed to be describing Cycle Speedway, which is just not, and never will be a 'replacement' for motorcycle speedway!

Edited by Skidder1

Martin Smolinski :wink:

What is a problem, is not having enough genuine number 1's to go around the elite league.

Current genuine number 1's currently in the EL:

CHRIS HOLDER - poole

DARCY WARD - poole

GREG HANCOCK - poole

NIELS K IVERSEN - kings lynn

TAI WODFINDEN - wolvehampton

FREDDIE LINGREN - wolverhampton

There may be another or 2, but how many of these be around next season

But is there is not enough to go around 10/12 teams..

Not a 'dig' at all! (not from me, maybe Semion?!) The Poole track at Baiter is well attended and its a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!! In the context of the thread, my post was in response to Semion's, which seemed to be describing Cycle Speedway, which is just not, and never will be a 'replacement' for motorcycle speedway!

That's because it's a different sport and does not attempt or want to be a substitute for motorcycle speedway. I appreciate your explanation.

Regardless of Sky money or not until the penny drops that the main role of a promoter is to provide a show that is must see week in week out and worth the price of admission, the sport will continue to lose fans slowly and contract. Sadly its either a case of continual cost cutting (except admission) or find ways around the rules to gain advantage. The dwindling quality, quantity and value for money for speedway over the last 25 years is plain to see. Its still the best sport around and on a good night is worth more than the value of admission. Sadly it used to be worth the value of admission every night, win or lose and that difference is the only reason the terraces get thinner each year.

• Like 7

There is no simple answer that will satisfy everybody. Most of us would like to see the worlds top riders in the Elite League but that won't happen for various reasons, for some riders it's the money for some it's too many meeting. Hancock said last week if the fixture list was halved he would consider coming back but a shorter fixture list wouldn't suit the riders who don't race abroad or indeed most fans, so realisticly we must say bye bye to Greg and other top liners who share that view. With others it maybe cash, if there is no Sky deal or other big sponsorship the top riders may be faced with a take it or leave it situation. Fans complain about the price of admission now so can you imagine the reaction if the BSPA said if you want to see the top riders then you will have to pay another tenner to get in. Then on the other hand some fans may say "I'm not going any more cos there's no good riders over here" Some Elite fans look down on the Premier Leagus cos it lacks the star names so they're likely to be the first one to stop going.

If YOU were in charge what would you do to keep the top men without a major sponsorship and without putting up the entrance fee? Bit of a problem isn't it? So whatever the BSPA decide let's do OUR part and keep going, cos if we stop going there will be no Speedway.

• Like 2