British Speedway Forum
Phil

No Sky Or League Sponsorship Money Etc...

Hello

is it me youre looking for?

anyone know the next line?

• Like 5

Well the Pre-AGM took place yesterday so I wonder what would have been discussed?

The sky talks began w/c 21/10 so I guess these are still dragging on.

There was a fierce debate and in the end, after much heated debate, it was decided to have Hob Nobs rather than Custard Creams at the coffee breaks (coffee having been voted in by a casting vote from the chairman) :)

• Like 6

There was a fierce debate and in the end, after much heated debate, it was decided to have Hob Nobs rather than Custard Creams at the coffee breaks (coffee having been voted in by a casting vote from the chairman) :)

:D

is it me youre looking for?

anyone know the next line?

How i wonder who you are and i wonder what you do, are you somewhere feeling lonely or is someone loving you, tell me how to win you heart as i havn't got a clue, so let me start by saying....

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

Think Matt will looking at riders like Mikkel Michelsen and Mikkel B all around the 5 point mark.

He can keep his thieving hands of Michelsen ;)

There is no simple answer that will satisfy everybody. Most of us would like to see the worlds top riders in the Elite League but that won't happen for various reasons, for some riders it's the money for some it's too many meeting. Hancock said last week if the fixture list was halved he would consider coming back but a shorter fixture list wouldn't suit the riders who don't race abroad or indeed most fans, so realisticly we must say bye bye to Greg and other top liners who share that view. With others it maybe cash, if there is no Sky deal or other big sponsorship the top riders may be faced with a take it or leave it situation. Fans complain about the price of admission now so can you imagine the reaction if the BSPA said if you want to see the top riders then you will have to pay another tenner to get in. Then on the other hand some fans may say "I'm not going any more cos there's no good riders over here" Some Elite fans look down on the Premier Leagus cos it lacks the star names so they're likely to be the first one to stop going.

If YOU were in charge what would you do to keep the top men without a major sponsorship and without putting up the entrance fee? Bit of a problem isn't it? So whatever the BSPA decide let's do OUR part and keep going, cos if we stop going there will be no Speedway.

This is where its all gone wrong......

The best riders wont ride here in the (elite league) the name alone suggests thats what it should contain.... The Elite ( THE BEST RIDERS)

Now we assume it means that, perhaps 15 years or so ago it did.. Most supporters I would say moan because the title is a con (Today) now it only contains a handful of the best in the world, because the best in the world are in such demand! Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Russia now included where they are being paid top dollar.. what we need to establish is WHY did the British Elite League lose all rhe top stars in the first place??? Why did this happen? Is it because of the constant changes in team building points limits? This has in effect gradually squeezed the top riders out annually because if you have a 10 team league, with a 50 pt team build threshold, for the league thats 500 pts, the following year its down to 45 and thats 450 thats around losing 5.5 9pt ish riders from the league, replaced by 5.5 ish lesser riders to just fill the teams and so on, just a downward spiral of reduced quality until you end up where we are now...... the average elite league fan id no longer getting elite league riders, just over hyped average riders............

• Like 1

While I am on the other side of the world to mainstream speedway, I have always taken a close interest in British Speedway through the pages of Speedway Star, Sky matches since they started being shown LIVE in Oz in 2010, and through these types of forums.

Been saying for many years that I have been expecting some major changes to take place at the BSPA Conference as each November passes, and each year very little happens. To me the Premier League can survive in something close to it's present form. Can the Elite League survive without the top riders, and with no Sky money on board? It really is stating the obvious that the answer to this is a resounding no.

My fear for 2014 is that the EL will only be marginally stronger than the PL, with the top riders sitting it our as money dries up at many clubs, but not the ones that are promoted properly.

If I was a current PL promoter I would under no circumstances agree to any proposal put up by EL promoters to once again go with "One-Big League". PL promoters should leave the EL promoters to sort out their own problems, that they have created themsevles

It is long overdue for the sport at EL level to get it's act into gear, if it doesn't do it this year, the old saying "Game Over" will certainly ring true and that would be sad from my perspective as without doubt many Australian riders over the years have beneffited from the experience gained, and they have been good loyal servants to British clubs.

The way I see it the best but probably most difficult thing to implement is have one maybe two set race nights, where the top stars are not riding in other countries and thus are available. Yes this means a problem regarding stadium availability in many cases, nd potentially a smaller fixture list, but it is a league that will more than likely attract Sky's interest. Clearly something has to be done. The "Schultz Theory" of "I know nothing, I see nothing, I do nothing" and leave things the way are is going to bring us to the end of the line to very quickly.

The time has come to act and DO in a positive manner.

Am I dreaming?

:D

How i wonder who you are and i wonder what you do, are you somewhere feeling lonely or is someone loving you, tell me how to win you heart as i havn't got a clue, so let me start by saying....

I know you are longing for Jaques love you again but it ain't gonna happen!!

I never did! He's like a bloody stalker! :D

• Like 5

The best riders wont ride here in the (elite league) the name alone suggests thats what it should contain.... The Elite ( THE BEST RIDERS)

Now we assume it means that, perhaps 15 years or so ago it did.. Most supporters I would say moan because the title is a con (Today) now it only contains a handful of the best in the world, because the best in the world are in such demand! Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Russia now included where they are being paid top dollar.. what we need to establish is WHY did the British Elite League lose all rhe top stars in the first place??? Why did this happen? Is it because of the constant changes in team building points limits? This has in effect gradually squeezed the top riders out annually because if you have a 10 team league, with a 50 pt team build threshold, for the league thats 500 pts, the following year its down to 45 and thats 450 thats around losing 5.5 9pt ish riders from the league, replaced by 5.5 ish lesser riders to just fill the teams and so on, just a downward spiral of reduced quality until you end up where we are now...... the average elite league fan id no longer getting elite league riders, just over hyped average riders............

The best footballers do not all play in the English Premier League, all the best cricketers do not all play in the English county Championships nor do all the best rugby players play in this country. So why do you think all the best Speedway riders should race here?
  • Like 1

i feel a few fans have got there wires crossed in thinking that top riders = top quality racing..

there are too many foreigners riding here that just dont try , if they gate they win if not they just give up , there not gonna risk injury and therefore put

a lucrative match in poland in doubt ..

give more british riders a chance and we will see some new heroes emerging!

• Like 3

Ha Ha, not really, don't know where you got that idea from. I don't even know her.

I never did! He's like a bloody stalker! :D

Ha Ha.

He can keep his thieving hands of Michelsen ;)

why??

Now we assume it means that, perhaps 15 years or so ago it did.. Most supporters I would say moan because the title is a con (Today) now it only contains a handful of the best in the world,

It is just a name FFS not an in depth analysis of the riding strength within it.

"The top league in Britain but nowhere near as good as Poland and not even as good as it was 15 years ago League"

is quite a mouthful so it can easily be condensed into the British Elite League, thats actually a perfect description, it is, after all, the best league in Britain.

Of course we then have a league that is clearly not the top league in Britain calling itself the British Premier League but you are quite happy with that

• Like 2

It is just a name FFS not an in depth analysis of the riding strength within it.

"The top league in Britain but nowhere near as good as Poland and not even as good as it was 15 years ago League"

is quite a mouthful so it can easily be condensed into the British Elite League, thats actually a perfect description, it is, after all, the best league in Britain.

Of course we then have a league that is clearly not the top league in Britain calling itself the British Premier League but you are quite happy with that

Just my thoughts.For good close racing of which the sport needs to keep fans wanting to watch, you need EVERY club to be able to field at least 2 top line riders for one reason or another this is not going to happen.(ie cost not wanting to ride over here etc .)So let them all go.Hopefully form a 12 team league.Introduce a wage cap, meet twice home and away with no doubleing up.Have riders like Harris,King,Nicholls etc as your top men.Then offer the better riders in the Prem league a little more money than they can earn in said league to encourage them to move leagues. Have 6 men teams so that you don't need as many riders with there being less riders to fill team places.The idea of all this is to hopefully form teams that the riders from nos 1 to 6 don't have a massive gap in ability like we have now and in hope create closer racing.As I said earlier if things are to change we all have our own ideas of how we would like things to go these are mine.