British Speedway Forum
DutchGrasstrack

2014 European Speedway Championships

ALL riders qualifying for the SGP are theoretically then "invited" to compete by the FIM, which effectively means that once they accept they agree to abide by the various regulations governing the competition.

It could be the FIM's way of getting round the possible restraint of trade repercussions. One of the conditions of "accepting the invitation" would presumably be an agreement not to ride in the SEC.

Many at the FIM (though presumably not FIM Europe) think the SEC should provide a route into the SGP via the Challenge. At least it would be a form of qualification on the track.

Still nothing official from the FIM as far as I know (but am in the US so not exactly on top of things) but this one obviously still has some way to run.

Whatever way it is written out it sounds like restriction of trade.Sort of reminds me of the Briggo affair when he was told if he didn't ride for Wimbledon he wouldn't be able to enter the world championships,even though he was world champ.But at least that was back in the 50s or so.We should have moved on a bit since those days

It does seem from some of the comments i have seen that BSI(no real doubt who is getting a lot of the blame here,rightly or wrongly)are losing a lot of support over this.Seen comments that fans should boycott BSI events in Poland.And also Bellamy's statement that he hopes lots of Russian fans attend the nearby Finnish GP has also upset people in Russia who have been saying they should be able to attend their won GP,not one in another country.And lay the blame on the unreasonable demands of BSI with regards Togliatti as a GP venue.Like you say this could run through the next few months and the fall out could last longer

Edited by iris123

NO doubt there will be some anti-BSI/SGP feeling whipped up in Poland by those with a vested interest in the SEC but judging by the number of Polish tracks vying for a GP there it cannot be that bad.

It was actually the Finnish promoters who made the original comment about attracting fans from Russia and cannot see how anyone can take offence at that.

As for going to Togliatti, as stated before tracks staging SEC rounds pay only 1,500 Euros as against the 20,000 required from SGP venues and OneSport do not pay the FIM over a million dollars a year.

If stories about the cost of admission in Togliatti (about £3) are to be believed it is hardily surprising that a SGP round there isn't considered viable, especially with a number of alternatives on hand.

The FIM stance on the SEC is borne out by the fact that other disciplines keep World and European Championships apart and riders (and/or teams) do not compete in both and many in Geneva believe that should also apply to speedway.

You and i know speedway is entirely different to all other motorsports.Could say it is totally different in the way it is run to any other sport.If this is the first step in bringing speedway in line with most other top sports,i.e riders ride for one team,not multiple,then i am all for it.If it is just a step to keep any opposition out of the sport then what you have is BSI looking after themselves whilst biting the hand that feeds them.The fans and riders.........

WHILE in an ideal world BSI would probably be happy with no SGP riders also in the SEC I know for a fact that they did not instigate this and would much prefer the SGP and the SEC to operate on a level playing field as far as fees are concerned.

They, like you and me, see speedway as being very different to other forms of motorcycle racing where riders are self-employed individuals rather than representatives of factory teams. But, to repeat myself, this is more about the FIM as a whole trying to bring FIM Europe into line and to stop them, as those in Geneva see it, over-stepping their lines of authority.

In the end i only see the fans and riders losing out in this civil war

WHILE in an ideal world BSI would probably be happy with no SGP riders also in the SEC I know for a fact that they did not instigate this and would much prefer the SGP and the SEC to operate on a level playing field as far as fees are concerned.

They, like you and me, see speedway as being very different to other forms of motorcycle racing where riders are self-employed individuals rather than representatives of factory teams. But, to repeat myself, this is more about the FIM as a whole trying to bring FIM Europe into line and to stop them, as those in Geneva see it, over-stepping their lines of authority.

No offence Phil but I don't believe that for a second. Of course BSI is the ones behind it.

• Like 2

WHAT I am hearing is that the FIM have decided the SEC should become a feeder series for the SGP and that a rider in the SEC will not be "invited" to compete in the SGP.

This talk has been going on for maybe a year already, least six months. No way did I see it become a reality with all the talk around SEC and BSI during the season. I think you should put your ear on the ground again and hear for us who is the FIM Europe person that is stirring the pot. :wink:

EDIT: The CCP has actually had quite a revamp recently. Many faces are now out and the most interesting newcomer for me was Stekkers as a DMU rep!

Edited by f-s-p

plenty of room for both partys. i would not be happy if i was a rider and us fans are losing out. :mad:

No offence Phil but I don't believe that for a second. Of course BSI is the ones behind it.

NO offence but you are wrong. But, hey, believe want you want...

This talk has been going on for maybe a year already, least six months. No way did I see it become a reality with all the talk around SEC and BSI during the season. I think you should put your ear on the ground again and hear for us who is the FIM Europe person that is stirring the pot. :wink:

VERY much doubt that it is one person but there is undoubtedly a conflict of interest and a power struggle taking place

EDIT: The CCP has actually had quite a revamp recently. Many faces are now out and the most interesting newcomer for me was Stekkers as a DMU rep!

I know for a fact that they did not instigate this and would much prefer the SGP and the SEC to operate on a level playing field as far as fees are concerned.

Well maybe, but perhaps BSI could also reduce the asking price of promoters who want to hold a GP.

The FIM stance on the SEC is borne out by the fact that other disciplines keep World and European Championships apart and riders (and/or teams) do not compete in both and many in Geneva believe that should also apply to speedway.

In fact, I think it's a nonsense that speedway has World and European Championships when the sport is hardly ridden anywhere outside of Europe. European Championships are effectively only ever going to be parallel competitions, competing for hosts and sponsors, unless they're pitched as some sort of feeder competition.

However, it's high time that the relationship between the FIM and BSI was brought under scrutiny, and the irony is that it's all of their own making. It was the FIM who advocated Continental Unions like the UEM (which is now FIM Europe) and it was clear that within speedway in particular, they were setting themselves up with competition.

It could be the FIM's way of getting round the possible restraint of trade repercussions. One of the conditions of "accepting the invitation" would presumably be an agreement not to ride in the SEC.

I think it's not entirely unreasonable, nor probably illegal to insist that an employee/contractor also does not work for a rival organisation. Much harder to argue though, if the rival organisation is effectively another department of the same organisation...

JUST about everything I have been told over the past 24 hours is, unfortunately, off the record but it would seem the core of the matter is that FIM Europe entered into a contract with OneSport that they were not empowered to do.

To answer a couple of Humphrey's points: one, why would BSI reduce their asking price of promoters, which are variable anyway, when there is no apparent shortage of organisers wishing to stage rounds of the series? And would the FIM accept lower rights and inscription fees if they did so? I imagine that one of the things that grates in Geneva is that the SEC produces little revenue for the FIM.

There are is no shortage of top rate lawyers at IMG (Rob Armstrong, Head of Motorsport there which includes BSI, falls into that category) and they have warned the FIM that any ban on GP riders competing in the SEC could be hard to implement.

And, of course, riders still have a choice. Who out of the 2014 line-up might decide to forsake the SGP and opt for the SGP instead? Prize or appearance money isn't the only factor. TV exposure, which forms the basis of some much of the sponsorship acquired by the top riders these days, is a major factor and 12 rounds of the SGP adds up to a lot more than four of the SEC.

I understand that GP riders will be allowed to compete in one round of the SEC as a wild card ... Sayfutdinov in Russia for example. And that the top three would indeed go through to the GP Challenge as a stepping stone to the SGP.

To answer a couple of Humphrey's points: one, why would BSI reduce their asking price of promoters, which are variable anyway, when there is no apparent shortage of organisers wishing to stage rounds of the series? And would the FIM accept lower rights and inscription fees if they did so?

That's something BSI would have to discuss with the FIM, especially if another organisation is able to undercut them.

If I was the FIM, I would have a Europan Championshups which formed the European qualifiers for the GP Challenge. The American champion should get a GP Challenge slot and the top 3 from the Australian Championship. That makes those national championships mean something and the top guys would enter them.