British Speedway Forum
DutchGrasstrack

2014 European Speedway Championships

The American champion should get a GP Challenge slot and the top 3 from the Australian Championship.

What about the New Zealand, Canadian, Argentinian and South African championships? How would their riders get a look-in?

How do they get a look-in now ?

Their federations can in principle apply for places in the GP qualifiers, and this has happened in past years. I doubt getting places in GP Challenge could be justified though.

NO doubt there will be some anti-BSI/SGP feeling whipped up in Poland by those with a vested interest in the SEC but judging by the number of Polish tracks vying for a GP there it cannot be that bad.

Not bad ? Anti BSI/SGP feelings of Polish fans have been known for some years . It's nothing new, and the last move of BSI/FIM looks like a last straw.

There are already voices calling for 'twit for tat'. If BSI/FIM wants to play dirty, let them, but they will be paid back by the same tactics. Sundays matches in the Polish Ekstra Liga are likely to be switched to Saturdays. Which means that unless BSI will pay more than Polish League, SGP riders will ride on Saturdays in Poland. That's one option already mentioned. There are many more to be considered.

• Like 1

If BSI/FIM wants to play dirty, let them, but they will be paid back by the same tactics. Sundays matches in the Polish Ekstra Liga are likely to be switched to Saturdays.

I hold no particular candle for BSI, but what exactly would be achieved by this? The traditional race day in Poland is Sunday, so why deliberately move to an off-day just out of spite.

Questioning in whose benefit the top flight of the sport is run is long overdue, but are Onesport planning to put a more benevolent structure in place, or just looking to usurp BSI? Otherwise it just comes over as overtly nationalist rhetoric rather than meaningful change.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

THEN it would be up to the FIM to sort it out

THEN it would be up to the FIM to sort it out

A battle once already lost, when Ward, Vaculik and Prota all declined a place in the GP in favour of the polish league.

JUST about everything I have been told over the past 24 hours is, unfortunately, off the record but it would seem the core of the matter is that FIM Europe entered into a contract with OneSport that they were not empowered to do.

The thing is then Phil,it should have been sorted out before last season started.You get the feeling that probably no-one was really that bothered about a competition that had just drifted along more or less for years.I have been to a few meetings in Germany in the past and they were fairly low key meetings in places like Stralsund.Now all of a sudden someone has come along with an idea and got money and media attention.It got some people sitting up and paying attention and of course some don't like what has happened.BSI could have done the same thing with it.

You have to be honest and say the asking price for the competition going on past history had to realisticaly be low.Hardly anyone in their right mind would have thought the competition would have taken off.Now a lot of people get the feeling BSI and some within the FIM are surprised and p'd off.They would have been laughing in their coffee had the new adventure fallen flat.

• Like 1

You have to be honest and say the asking price for the competition going on past history had to realisticaly be low.Hardly anyone in their right mind would have thought the competition would have taken off.Now a lot of people get the feeling BSI and some within the FIM are surprised and p'd off.They would have been laughing in their coffee had the new adventure fallen flat.

The organizer paid the points money to riders as listed in the rulebook. For a euro quali it was something like 10 k for the lot. It's all in the rules... The same applied this year for the quali's, SEC/OneSport came to play after the ECC when it turned to a championship series.

The organizer paid the points money to riders as listed in the rulebook. For a euro quali it was something like 10 k for the lot. It's all in the rules... The same applied this year for the quali's, SEC/OneSport came to play after the ECC when it turned to a championship series.

Sure.I mentioned on here last year,i think that one German club were complaining that it was more expensive to host a German championship meeting with fees etc than it was an FIM event.Probably why places like Stralsund have had lots of UEM meetings in the past given that they can only attract relatively small crowds,no matter what meeting they have

Edited by iris123

In fact, I think it's a nonsense that speedway has World and European Championships when the sport is hardly ridden anywhere outside of Europe.

That's crap, mate. Of the last five World Champions, three are non-Europeans. There might be more riders in Europe, its just that they're not very good.

If I was the FIM, I would have a Europan Championshups which formed the European qualifiers for the GP Challenge. The American champion should get a GP Challenge slot and the top 3 from the Australian Championship. That makes those national championships mean something and the top guys would enter them.

On the right track, mate. Maybe not directly to the GP Challenge meeting itself for all of them, but seeded high enough up. Maybe two from European Championship and Aussie Titles, runners-up, plus top men from US, Argentina and other non-Euro speedway nations into the semi-finals?

• Like 1

Will the new financial rules in Poland have an effect. Jarek had been reported saying the new rules could mean a top rider earning less in Poland than in Sweden so could this mean the Polish league has less on an influence than it does now?

Not bad ? Anti BSI/SGP feelings of Polish fans have been known for some years . It's nothing new, and the last move of BSI/FIM looks like a last straw.

There are already voices calling for 'twit for tat'. If BSI/FIM wants to play dirty, let them, but they will be paid back by the same tactics. Sundays matches in the Polish Ekstra Liga are likely to be switched to Saturdays. Which means that unless BSI will pay more than Polish League, SGP riders will ride on Saturdays in Poland. That's one option already mentioned. There are many more to be considered.

Which is the crux of the matter. This is Polish gangsters v FIM. The Poles lost the last battle over silencers, now they want to run the whole show.

Stuff them. Two World Champions in 75+ years? They're not that good.

FIM should simply say that it is our way or the highway. You run your league and your championship, but riders will be black, and cannot ride anywhere the FIM is in control (ie, the rest of the world).

That's crap, mate. Of the last five World Champions, three are non-Europeans. There might be more riders in Europe, its just that they're not very good.

What have the number of World Champions got to do with it? As far as I can tell, speedway is only ridden in Australia, New Zealand, the US, Canada, Argentina and possibly South Africa outside of Europe. I doubt any rider in these countries is making any sort of living from it either.

There are more than 20 countries in Europe where speedway is ridden, and 4 or 5 of these have professional leagues. Virtually every World Championship meeting is staged in Europe, and 90% of the line-ups were European riders.