Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
DutchGrasstrack

2014 European Speedway Championships

WHEN banning GP riders from the SEC was first being seriously mooted over 12 months ago BSI warned the FIM that they would be opening a can of worms. The horse had already bolted but, as mentioned so often, this is a power struggle at the FIM, about who controls what. However, like so many similar organisations, they work so slowly and instead of tackling the issues there and then they have allowed them to drag on to the point where we are now.

I have to say that had the former General Secretary, Gut Maitre, still been at the FIM it would never have got this far.

There is also a lot of truth in assertions that those involved in Polish speedway see themselves as all powerful and the tail is trying to wag the dog. It is also true that riders wishing to race in more than one country require an international licence which is where the FIM hold a trump card.

It is also true that riders wishing to race in more than one country require an international licence which is where the FIM hold a trump card.

This of course assumes that national speedway competitions continue to respect the authority of the FIM.

There is also a lot of truth in assertions that those involved in Polish speedway see themselves as all powerful and the tail is trying to wag the dog.

Or perhaps Poland is the dog, because no-one makes a living out of FIM competitions?

As far as I can see though, there's not a single person with a track racing background in any position of authority within the FIM these days.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

THE CCP Director has much more autonomy and power than the old President of the CCP ... Armando Castagna has a fine racing background, remains passionate about speedway and has a lot of very good ideas. Whether he sinks or swims remains to be seen.

Certainly cannot see a countries like Sweden and Denmark, through SVEMO and the DMU, for example not respecting the authority of the FIM.

THE CCP Director has much more autonomy and power than the old President of the CCP ...

Yes, but I guess the acquisition of income is much more the remit of the FIM Board and GA, than the CCP.

Certainly cannot see a countries like Sweden and Denmark, through SVEMO and the DMU, for example not respecting the authority of the FIM.

I'd see it more along the lines of what happened in F1, where the Constructors' Association led by Ecclestone wrested effective control of the F1 World Championship and kept most of the income whilst staying under the umbrella of the FIA. More than 3 million quid is going out of speedway under the current arrangements.

Stuff them. Two World Champions in 75+ years? They're not that good.

If I was rude, I would say - stuff you !, but obviously - I won't :-)

The point isn't whether, or not, Poles are good at speedway. Although if you've looked at the winners in the SWC of recent years, you might think otherwise.

The point is that ENEA Polish Speedway Ekstra Liga provides all SGP riders for GP rounds that are held on Saturdays. After that they (the riders) , tired, exhausted, or even injured have to rush across Europe for their engagement in Sunday's fixtures in Poland. It needs to be changed.

The traditional race day in Poland is Sunday, so why deliberately move to an off-day just out of spite.

It would not be "just out of spite".

You might as well recall that in the years gone by British promoters were calling the same tune, because the British League was constantly ( in their opinion) interfered with by absences/excuses of SGP riders, who instead of riding Thursday's and Friday's fixtures in England. Not to mention Saturday's one had rush for official practice day of BSI event.

The same is happening in Poland right now. After Saturday's GP rounds all GP participants have to rush for Sunday's fixture in Poland. Often they are tired, exhausted, deflated, or even injured. They are paid well there, so promoters and the fans expect them to perform accordingly. And often, on more occasion than one, it doesn't happens. Fans and promoters are frustrated, if not openly fed up. It can't go on. He who pays calls the tune. That's all what's to it.

It would not be "just out of spite".

You might as well recall that in the years gone by British promoters were calling the same tune, because the British League was constantly ( in their opinion) interfered with by absences/excuses of SGP riders, who instead of riding Thursday's and Friday's fixtures in England. Not to mention Saturday's one had rush for official practice day of BSI event.

Humphrey should recall that,because it is something he has often said himself!!!

The same is happening in Poland right now. After Saturday's GP rounds all GP participants have to rush for Sunday's fixture in Poland. Often they are tired, exhausted, deflated, or even injured. They are paid well there, so promoters and the fans expect them to perform accordingly. And often, on more occasion than one, it doesn't happens. Fans and promoters are frustrated, if not openly fed up. It can't go on. He who pays calls the tune. That's all what's to it.

That's a different issue of course, but I remember it was said the British leagues were just being inflexible by wanting to ride on Fridays and Saturdays.

The main professional leagues should have got together years ago to coordinate fixtures, use of riders, and to ensure they benefited if they gave up prime dates to the SGP. However, they were more concerned with competing with each other rather than addressing the real issue - all the while BSI were skimming off the cream.

It's only taken 13 years for the penny to finally drop... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

The main professional leagues should have got together years ago to coordinate fixtures, use of riders, and to ensure they benefited if they gave up prime dates to the SGP. However, they were more concerned with competing with each other rather than addressing the real issue - all the while BSI were skimming off the cream.

It's only taken 13 years for the penny to finally drop... :rolleyes:

Could not agree more HA, many of them have been very short sighted and even warning signs a few of years ago were ignored.

Also I do not understand the need for all these controlling bodies, maybe they are needed, but they do seem to take a lot of money out of the sport, and cause conflicts.

Also I do not understand the need for all these controlling bodies, maybe they are needed, but they do seem to take a lot of money out of the sport, and cause conflicts.

Motorcycle sport is obviously multi-discipline which complicates any overarching structure, and track racing is itself quite removed from most forms of motorcycle sport.

I do not see the need for both a global and continental body controlling speedway (and other track racing disciplines) though, not least because speedway is primarily European based anyway. Since it was created, the UEM has basically gone around and created hordes of pointless competitions. It probably mattered little whilst they remained relatively low key, but someone has obviously realised they can use these to gain political leverage, and now we're likely to see destructive in-fighting in what's already a marginal sport.

Motorcycle sport is obviously multi-discipline which complicates any overarching structure, and track racing is itself quite removed from most forms of motorcycle sport.

I do not see the need for both a global and continental body controlling speedway (and other track racing disciplines) though, not least because speedway is primarily European based anyway. Since it was created, the UEM has basically gone around and created hordes of pointless competitions. It probably mattered little whilst they remained relatively low key, but someone has obviously realised they can use these to gain political leverage, and now we're likely to see destructive in-fighting in what's already a marginal sport.

Not sure about "hordes of pointless competitions"

Ok,i might agree with one or two of the competitions.Not really sure there is a need for a European Ice Speedway competition,when Ice Speedway is pretty much 100% a European sport anyway.I did think the Euopean U19 championshi was ok,but then it turned into an U21 championship.But the main thing is helping clubs make money on a meeting,helping riders gain experience and hopefully also make money and giving the fans the sort of meetings they want.If one or more of these factors doesn't work then the competitions would have died a death long ago.

We also hear about the formation of a European League,but one of the "pointless competitions" is a European Team Championship

Phil keeps telling us how much of a success BSI have made of the GPs and in particular how many tracks in Poland want to host the meetings.This in itself is probably a big factor in why the SEC took off.Add to that Togliatti.A superb facility in a country that has a few well supported tracks and a few very good riders.Now they also haven't managed to come to terms with BSI.On the other hand you have a track like Vojens which seems to be able to join or leave the GP when it likes!!!!

I don't think this situation has been created just by a few in the old UEM who want to "gain political leverage".It is far more complicated than that.

Edited by iris123

IT would be inconceivable not to have a GP in Denmark and Vojens only returned when Copenhagen was originally off the 2014 calendar. Five Polish tracks were in the market for a GP next year, which is pretty high percentage.

I don't think the current dispute has anything to do with the old UEM, rather the new concept with people like Frank Zeigler and Wolfgang Glas tending to carry out their own agenda and some of the Polish officials happy to tag along.

OneSport actually wanted to increase the number of SEC rounds to eight in 2014 and that might well have been the straw that broke the camel's back at the FIM.

IT would be inconceivable not to have a GP in Denmark and Vojens only returned when Copenhagen was originally off the 2014 calendar. Five Polish tracks were in the market for a GP next year, which is pretty high percentage.

Totally agree Phil.Just i get the impression Ole is fighting his own little battle with Haderslev council for funds.He pulls out of the GPs one time saying the stadium isn't up to standard,then comes back in the fold.Then he pulls out again saying the stadium needs upgrading and then comes back in again.Like i have mentioned before,Vojens is the best situated GP standard(?) track for me,but i think Ole has little hope of much backing from Haderslev these days.Oles troubles i think go back to the formation of the "Super" sports club based in Haderslev and includes Vojens Ice Hockey team,but more importantly the Football and Handball teams for that region.As someone from Danish tv once told me,Speedway stands no chance against Football + Handball in Denmark

We also hear about the formation of a European League,but one of the "pointless competitions" is a European Team Championship

It's pointless whilst speedway leagues are organised in the current way, but it could work if it was pitched as a standalone premier competition (possibly in conjunction with an extended SGP) on the basis of one rider, one team.

I don't think this situation has been created just by a few in the old UEM who want to "gain political leverage".It is far more complicated than that.

Not necessarily people in the UEM, but those who see it can be used as vehicle for their agendas.

I don't think the current dispute has anything to do with the old UEM, rather the new concept with people like Frank Zeigler and Wolfgang Glas tending to carry out their own agenda and some of the Polish officials happy to tag along.

Half of FIM Europe seems to be the same bunch of Italians that were there previously...

Ok,i might agree with one or two of the competitions.

Not entirely sure of the European Grasstrack Championship either, when there's already a World Longtrack/Grasstrack Championship that seems to be struggling for hosts. If nowhere in Germany, the spiritual home of longtrack, wants to host next season, and they're having to resort to 'long' speedway tracks, then that's a very sorry state of affairs.

Not entirely sure of the European Grasstrack Championship either, when there's already a World Longtrack/Grasstrack Championship that seems to be struggling for hosts. If nowhere in Germany, the spiritual home of longtrack, wants to host next season, and they're having to resort to 'long' speedway tracks, then that's a very sorry state of affairs.

Wouldn't disagree with you there