British Speedway Forum
muirspud

Teams Making The Move Up

Spot on ..the biggest laugh is about El over spending when just as many if not more Pl teams find themselves with more going out than coming in ...any sport that lost it's sky money would find it it hard and Speedway is the same

Are they ...the top riders in the Pl the Doyle's ,etc are owned by El clubs

What about the rest of the PL riders? Not just 'top PL riders' in the EL. A few PL second strings and even PL reserves ride in the EL.

What about the rest of the PL riders? Not just 'top PL riders' in the EL. A few PL second strings and even PL reserves ride in the EL.

So hardly a lot then .

They (SKY) gave up on the GPs. They gave loads of money to the Elite League, very little to the Premier League and, as far as I know, none at all to the National League where we are supposed to try and develop our young Riders.

Perhaps it is the Promoter's fault and they should have spread the riches around a bit - but - to be totally honest SKY has done absolutely nothing for the Premier/National Leagues. These two Leagues are getting through a very difficult financial Recession without any help from SKY - so, why should we be grateful to them?

I can see if you are an Elite League Supporter why you may be a bit peeved at the current state of things - but crucially - the Premier/National League have absolutely NOTHING to do with the predicament in which the Elite League finds itself. It HAD the money, almost all of it. It spent beyond it's means. It needs to sort itself out and NOT rely on the other Leagues for help.

If, as you say - "although clearly such comments will hardly help keep them (SKY) interested in the sport will they"? - I am NOT going to tailor my remarks around what SKY do or don't like. Frankly I couldn't care less - I support a prudent Premier League Club.

you make good points. but to put mine into context. My team too is a Premier League club. I also visit Elite league meetings I also watch spedway on TV and when possible I attend live GP meetings over and above Cardiff. The main question I had for you was "why do you say Sky mucked up our sport"? The fact that they provided cash to the EL with little (nothing) to PL or NL does not constitue "mucking up" actually it would appear the PL have done Ok running the league with prudent management. However, we must appreciate that Sky wanted something for their money, which was "elite2 racing featuring the best riders. There is no question that over the (sky) years as far as the UK is concerned this has proven to be the case i.e. with all the best will & rose coloured glasses in the world - 99% of EL team would win home and away v PL. In a much smaller way than the Premiership, Sky have funded (or part funded) the cost of attracting the best riders (players) but regretably the promoters have failed to provide a show which has grown in attraction or entertainment. actually in my opinion in the past few years it has lessened - but clearly this is not the fault of Sky & if you were to look beyond just your own club you would realise that Speedway on TV should be a great advertisment for the sport and guess what - this would lead to new people visiting their local track to see the sport live - so why would any speedway supporter do anything to put Sky off from continuing with covering the sport?

• Like 3

you make good points. but to put mine into context. My team too is a Premier League club. I also visit Elite league meetings I also watch spedway on TV and when possible I attend live GP meetings over and above Cardiff. The main question I had for you was "why do you say Sky mucked up our sport"? The fact that they provided cash to the EL with little (nothing) to PL or NL does not constitue "mucking up" actually it would appear the PL have done Ok running the league with prudent management. However, we must appreciate that Sky wanted something for their money, which was "elite2 racing featuring the best riders. There is no question that over the (sky) years as far as the UK is concerned this has proven to be the case i.e. with all the best will & rose coloured glasses in the world - 99% of EL team would win home and away v PL. In a much smaller way than the Premiership, Sky have funded (or part funded) the cost of attracting the best riders (players) but regretably the promoters have failed to provide a show which has grown in attraction or entertainment. actually in my opinion in the past few years it has lessened - but clearly this is not the fault of Sky & if you were to look beyond just your own club you would realise that Speedway on TV should be a great advertisment for the sport and guess what - this would lead to new people visiting their local track to see the sport live - so why would any speedway supporter do anything to put Sky off from continuing with covering the sport?

Well thought out, well set out. Good post!

A well reasoned Post 1 valve.

To answer your questions directly:

I) Play Offs

ii) Double Points

iii) Yellow Helmet Cover

The last one isn't that important - but crucially - I personally have a problem telling White from Yellow under lights. I would prefer the Yellow/Black Cover back.. IF they continue with the Double Points Ride - they could use a Green Helmet Cover for that.

My views on i and ii are pretty well know and I have no need to elaborate.

So - there are three ways SKY have spoiled the Sport for me. I have tried to answer your question as honestly as I can. I hope that you at least understand my stance.

• Like 1

A well reasoned Post 1 valve.

To answer your questions directly:

I) Play Offs

ii) Double Points

iii) Yellow Helmet Cover

The last one isn't that important - but crucially - I personally have a problem telling White from Yellow under lights. I would prefer the Yellow/Black Cover back.. IF they continue with the Double Points Ride - they could use a Green Helmet Cover for that.

My views on i and ii are pretty well know and I have no need to elaborate.

So - there are three ways SKY have spoiled the Sport for me. I have tried to answer your question as honestly as I can. I hope that you at least understand my stance.

As someone has already ask you where has it ever been said or shown that Sky had any input into those 3 rules ? We all know that double points rule was brought in as a cost saving measure .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

As someone has already ask you where has it ever been said or shown that Sky had any input into those 3 rules ? We all know that double points rule was brought in as a cost saving measure .

HELMET COLOURS & SKY

I am led to believe that y/b and w/b are hard to distinguish when viewed under lights on tv, same as green was initially trialled instead of white for similar reasons....

HELMET COLOURS & SKY

I am led to believe that y/b and w/b are hard to distinguish when viewed under lights on tv, same as green was initially trialled instead of white for similar reasons....

if you are correct I have to say that sky have ruined speedway be changing these helmet colours :rofl::rofl:

• Like 1

if you are correct I have to say that sky have ruined speedway be changing these helmet colours :rofl::rofl:

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit you know?

But unfortunately its also the funniest!!!!

:-))

are the colours the same as the sky remote control.. er... skybet springs to mind

are the colours the same as the sky remote control.. er... skybet springs to mind

Correct, white was changed top green for Sky Bet but it never took off, which was a shame really.

As for the tactical ride, sky can have NO blame for that one. Len Silver and Ronnie Russell invented that one and it was trialed in the 2003 PLKOC before being used in all competitions except weirdly the PLKOC in 2004.

Ultimately Speedway needs to forgot about Sky and it needs to probably forgot about being televised now. The British League system needs to package itself up better and become something interesting to watch.

I always read this EL and PL debate but now it's largely irrelevant. The problems for me stemmed from that the difference between EL no.1 to EL no.6/7 was so much wider than PL no.1 to PL no.6/7. Now forgot about the Sky money, the clubs need to get themselves under financial order and I think as a result, you'd see an EL and a PL with a minimal difference in rider quality. Therefore you open up the possibility of inter-divisional cups and promotion/relegation.

All clubs need to take a serious look at their outgoings etc and plan appropriately. If this means a license system with an overlooking body, I am all for it. Sometimes I feel Speedway causes it's self more damaging by trying to keep tracks open for the sake of keeping tracks open.

• Like 4

Sky may be back big style now that they keep losing other sports!!!

As along there is only 2 main sports broadcasters, the issue will be the same.

SKY know that could get Speedway on the cheap now, maybe even for nothing. If there was a serious third broadcaster, there would be a competitor against SKY.

iii) Yellow Helmet Cover

The Y/B helmet colour worked fine and should be reintroduced.

Speedway lost it's way once they flirted with yellow and then Green helmet covers.

There would be no problem differentiating between the B/W helmet and the Y/B as there is a marked difference between the colours yellow and white and anyone who can't see that should probably not concentrate on the helmet colours as blue and red can be frustrating at speed as well.

Perhaps we should experiment with displaying some kind of number and maybe even a name on race suits and perhaps some kind of team symbol rather than trying to cram every minor sponsor who has paid more than a fiver onto them.