British Speedway Forum
muirspud

Teams Making The Move Up

Leaving the NL clubs (and Glasgow, who really seem sadly doubtful) out of it, if there was total integration and a strictly north-south divide, you would have:

North: Belle Vue, Berwick, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Redcar, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Workington, Leicester,Peterborough and Wolverhampton.

South: Birmingham, Coventry, Eastbourne, King's Lynn, Lakeside, Poole, Swindon, Ipswich, Plymouth, Rye House and Somerset

Which is why any such talk of "one big league, split north and south" will never fly.

Plan B, anyone?

I'm sure prices could be reduced to Premier League type rates.....oh wait. It has been Elite in name only for some time, same as the Premier again in that regard.I'd like to see a couple more teams move up, but only if it can be afforded. Ipswich moved down and have managed to stabilise by all accounts so wouldn't want to see that work undone. But if the top league (whatever name) is able to become realistic on running cost then there's no reason a couple of the better attended second tier Clubs couldn't make the move. More likely than the one big league we saw in the early-mid 90's

If the GP men and the other no1's were missing then one big league might be the way to go.Doubt it will happen though.Difficult times for the sport IMO.I Personaly don't think many PL promoters would relish moving up.We shall see though.

If the GP men and the other no1's were missing then one big league might be the way to go.

Maybe two big leagues. 14-16 in an enlarged top flight but with lower costs (so 4-6 teams would move-up), and the rest in the National League.

Maybe two big leagues. 14-16 in an enlarged top flight but with lower costs (so 4-6 teams would move-up), and the rest in the National League.

That is more likely if they can persuade enough PL TEAMS to move up.Having been round most of the Northern tracks last season the crowd levels suggest it would be a bit of a gamble especially if a couple of Northern Teams made the jump and took away some of the Northern "local" derbies which does seem to attract travelling support.

Maybe Leicester, Ipswich, Somerset, Rye House and Plymouth joining a weaker top flight making 15 teams. Leaving the 8 northern PL teams to have a small league where they play each other twice. The National league would remain as it is.

Maybe Leicester, Ipswich, Somerset, Rye House and Plymouth joining a weaker top flight making 15 teams. Leaving the 8 northern PL teams to have a small league where they play each other twice. The National league would remain as it is.

so us northerners get 14 league meetings a season, while the top flight get 28 on a home and away basis don't think this will be the answer
  • Like 1

and thats where the lite league falls apart. fans dont want to see the same visiting team every 3/6 weeks

• Like 1

and thats where the lite league falls apart. fans dont want to see the same visiting team every 3/6 weeks

Bit of a fallacy this. If I had the time I'd break down the stats, but I'll wager that there's actually far less difference in the number of times teams are facing each other in the EL and the PL. How many times have Worky faced Newcastle or Edinburgh this season?

so us northerners get 14 league meetings a season, while the top flight get 28 on a home and away basis don't think this will be the answer

When I say play each other twice, I mean home and away twice so It would also be 28 meetings

Two leagues of 15 or 16 teams would generate 28-30 fixtures just riding home and away once. Variety and probably enough meeting

but could teams like Buxton and IOW afford to compete with the likes of Workington, Edinburgh and Newcastle?

I guess it depends on ones definition of what constitutes 'Elite'. A small number of riders demanding crazy fees for participating in a league that patently cannot generate the revenue necessary to fund those wages = ruin.

Frankly I care not a fig who rides, so long as I see competitive racing. Surely that is what provides entertainment?

Sounds awfully like the con-trick perpetrated on the lower division by a failing top league at the end of 1990........

• Like 6