Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
muirspud

Teams Making The Move Up

Why would Sky sign a new deal without knowing whats on offer?

Surely its down to the AGM to set out Speedways stall and then Sky (or any other) can decide if they want it.

Why would Sky sign a new deal without knowing whats on offer?

Surely its down to the AGM to set out Speedways stall and then Sky (or any other) can decide if they want it.

Not really. You have to know your income to know what you can afford and spend. Far better sitting down together and see what's on offer, or required by SKY; and respond with what you can do.

• Like 3

Not really. You have to know your income to know what you can afford and spend. Far better sitting down together and see what's on offer, or required by SKY; and respond with what you can do.

If knowing what a club can afford to spend forms part of the decision making process, how is it that many clubs seemingly overspend by tens of £thousands?

Is it simply that promoters expect to lose money and deem tens of £thousands to be an acceptable loss?

Or are their forecasts detached from reality?

Not keen on that bit Dave. I think SKY have mucked up our Sport far too much already. :sad::sad:

I agree with everything else in your Post.

• Like 1

Work out the income without Sky/AN Other, then, if there is to be a TV deal, that's a bonus.

• Like 3

If knowing what a club can afford to spend forms part of the decision making process, how is it that many clubs seemingly overspend by tens of £thousands?

There will still always be teams with more money than others, but the rest still need to try to compete for riders. It's a vicious cycle, which is why you can't have a free-for-all in sport, particularly the marginal ones.

The other issue of course, is there are few promoters who run speedway teams as a profession these days. Teams are essentially run by fan promoters with other businesses whose common sense goes out the window when it comes to speedway.

Or are their forecasts detached from reality?

I'm sure they know they're going to lose money, but without a fundamental restructuring of the sport as a whole, they're forced to pay the going rate for riders in order to sign a competitive team. It's actually an issue that exists right throughout all professional sport.

In a perfect world yes I agree - but what is the likelyhood of Sky saying do X and we will give you Y within the next 2 weeks?

So I would say plan for nothing to be forthcoming unless the above scenario is already in the pipeline.

The big danger would be to set out a structure on a 'promise' that then doesnt materialise.

• Like 1

Not keen on that bit Dave. I think SKY have mucked up our Sport far too much already. :sad::sad:

I agree with everything else in your Post.

Sky have mucked up our sport?? How can that be the case? we have had UK speedway & GP for years, which Sky provide cash to the UK promoters and GP rights holders - then the promoters spend it how the see fit. As I see it, the UK promoters have most probably not done the most with this opportunity - so I just cant see why Sky gets the blame - althoug clearly such comments will hardly help keep them interested in the sport will they?!!

• Like 2

Sky have mucked up our sport?? How can that be the case? we have had UK speedway & GP for years, which Sky provide cash to the UK promoters and GP rights holders - then the promoters spend it how the see fit. As I see it, the UK promoters have most probably not done the most with this opportunity - so I just cant see why Sky gets the blame - althoug clearly such comments will hardly help keep them interested in the sport will they?!!

They (SKY) gave up on the GPs. They gave loads of money to the Elite League, very little to the Premier League and, as far as I know, none at all to the National League where we are supposed to try and develop our young Riders.

Perhaps it is the Promoter's fault and they should have spread the riches around a bit - but - to be totally honest SKY has done absolutely nothing for the Premier/National Leagues. These two Leagues are getting through a very difficult financial Recession without any help from SKY - so, why should we be grateful to them?

I can see if you are an Elite League Supporter why you may be a bit peeved at the current state of things - but crucially - the Premier/National League have absolutely NOTHING to do with the predicament in which the Elite League finds itself. It HAD the money, almost all of it. It spent beyond it's means. It needs to sort itself out and NOT rely on the other Leagues for help.

If, as you say - "although clearly such comments will hardly help keep them (SKY) interested in the sport will they"? - I am NOT going to tailor my remarks around what SKY do or don't like. Frankly I couldn't care less - I support a prudent Premier League Club.

• Like 3

The Elite league will need more riders with the top boys being missing next year.So last year doubleing up did not really work(riders missing to many meetings to ride for their prem team) and with a lot more meetings being propose for next year doubleing up I m o just wont work.I have a feeling that they may stop it.If that's the case they may offer the top liners in the prem league a little more money than they can earn in said league to move up full time into the elite league(a lot cheaper than what they are paying the top boys and they somehow need to make the elite league attractive to the punters after loseing the top boys) and the better boys in the national league would then move up to the prem league.This could be the reason why there is a lot more intrest this year in moving up a league to me its the only way that they can then call the elite league the top league in Britain.Just my thoughts but sounds to me like a way they could go.

Edited by B.V 72

They (SKY) gave up on the GPs. They gave loads of money to the Elite League, very little to the Premier League and, as far as I know, none at all to the National League where we are supposed to try and develop our young Riders.

Perhaps it is the Promoter's fault and they should have spread the riches around a bit - but - to be totally honest SKY has done absolutely nothing for the Premier/National Leagues. These two Leagues are getting through a very difficult financial Recession without any help from SKY - so, why should we be grateful to them?

I can see if you are an Elite League Supporter why you may be a bit peeved at the current state of things - but crucially - the Premier/National League have absolutely NOTHING to do with the predicament in which the Elite League finds itself. It HAD the money, almost all of it. It spent beyond it's means. It needs to sort itself out and NOT rely on the other Leagues for help.

If, as you say - "although clearly such comments will hardly help keep them (SKY) interested in the sport will they"? - I am NOT going to tailor my remarks around what SKY do or don't like. Frankly I couldn't care less - I support a prudent Premier League Club.

Surely Sky had a contract with British Speedway and paid the agreed contract amount. I would have thought it was the promoter's who decided what was going to be done with the money. The promoters could easily have passed some of it on to the PL and NL if they wanted to.

• Like 6

Surely Sky had a contract with British Speedway and paid the agreed contract amount. I would have thought it was the promoter's who decided what was going to be done with the money. The promoters could easily have passed some of it on to the PL and NL if they wanted to.

+1

Its like moaning that Sunday League football gets none of the billions paid to PL clubs,

• Like 1

If anyone with decision-making powers in Sky reads thus, they'll certainly wonder why they should bother with the sport.

They have/had an agreement to pay x to British speedway, and it's to the BSPA to decide how to distribute that. Nevertheless, the coverage is primarily on the back of Elite League speedway, so it hardly seems unreasonable it gets the lion's share.

• Like 2

If anyone with decision-making powers in Sky reads thus, they'll certainly wonder why they should bother with the sport.

They have/had an agreement to pay x to British speedway, and it's to the BSPA to decide how to distribute that. Nevertheless, the coverage is primarily on the back of Elite League speedway, so it hardly seems unreasonable it gets the lion's share.

Whose teams are made up of a lot of PL riders.

• Like 1

Spot on ..the biggest laugh is about El over spending when just as many if not more Pl teams find themselves with more going out than coming in ...any sport that lost it's sky money would find it it hard and Speedway is the same

Whose teams are made up of a lot of PL riders.

Are they ...the top riders in the Pl the Doyle's ,etc are owned by El clubs