British Speedway Forum

I agree with SS as it should be on a different track from time to time. Tai probably would have won anyway but he does have home advantage which cannot bee right.

Its awful that the league and Worlds best rider in 2013 had home advantage. How on earth did he manage to get any points on board throughout Europe all season.

• Like 1

Would love to see this around the EOES, as wont be a home advantage to any rider, and be nice to go somewhere different and spread the events around a bit.

• Like 1

On a weekend would be nice too.

Probably impossible because of other European leagues running. Anyway, it's only a British event not an international fixture so the championship has no priority outside the UK.

Does anyone on here not think that Brandon Stadium, packed to the rafters on a hot sunny Sunday afternoon in the eighties and early nineties, watching Mark Loram, Andy Smith, the Collins boys, Morts, Kenny Carter, the Grahame bros, Louis, etc fight it out on well watered, grippy racing strip wasn't the best years of the British Finals????

(May have missed a few star names as well)

Anyone have a particular final they remember from those days.......???

• Like 2

Loved the British Finals at Coventry, especially the one that Martin Dugard won as my friends couldn't stand him. :P I can't remember any years but there was one that was rained off twice and it was third time lucky in the end. I can also recall having to leave the car near the beginning of the road to the stadium as the traffic just wasn't moving. We walked the whole length of that road with two small children. No wonder they have grown up not liking speedway. :D

• Like 1

Probably impossible because of other European leagues running. Anyway, it's only a British event not an international fixture so the championship has no priority outside the UK.

National Championships take priority over everything except GPs and GP qualifiers. If we want to run it on a Sunday afternoon then Poland can do sod all about it.

National Championships take priority over everything except GPs and GP qualifiers. If we want to run it on a Sunday afternoon then Poland can do sod all about it.

True, except the only decent Brit wouldnt be in it because he would be in Poland. And a National Championship without the best Brits would be a farce anyway.

True, except the only decent Brit wouldnt be in it because he would be in Poland. And a National Championship without the best Brits would be a farce anyway.

What bit of National Championship takes priority over everything is hard to grasp? If we say the British Final is on a Sunday, Tai is riding there and not in Poland.

Its awful that the league and Worlds best rider in 2013 had home advantage. How on earth did he manage to get any points on board throughout Europe all season.

You need to read what I posted or not twist it. I said he would probably still have won but having home advantage is not a hindrance is it.

• Like 1

Does anyone on here not think that Brandon Stadium, packed to the rafters on a hot sunny Sunday afternoon in the eighties and early nineties, watching Mark Loram, Andy Smith, the Collins boys, Morts, Kenny Carter, the Grahame bros, Louis, etc fight it out on well watered, grippy racing strip wasn't the best years of the British Finals????

(May have missed a few star names as well)

1975 British final was the Best individual meeting I have ever seen. Won by John Louis with a supreme 15 point maximum. Fantastic racing throughout and one of the best races I have witnessed in the run off for third place between Ray Wilson and Martin Ashby.

• Like 2

1975 British final was the Best individual meeting I have ever seen. Won by John Louis with a supreme 15 point maximum. Fantastic racing throughout and one of the best races I have witnessed in the run off for third place between Ray Wilson and Martin Ashby.

I wish I could remember specific races and the actual years but there are only a few things I can recall and even then I wouldn't have a clue what year it was. :oops:

Bring the meeting to Scunny, an awesome stadium, awesome promotion and some of the best PL fans around :) come on BSPA, pull yer finger out

I remember it because I was stood next to Steve Shovlar....in those days he was resplendent in Robins colours!

• Like 1

What bit of National Championship takes priority over everything is hard to grasp? If we say the British Final is on a Sunday, Tai is riding there and not in Poland.

It isn't hard to grasp, far from it. But do you seriously think it is in anyway a possibility or a probability?? From another perspective we expect to penalise Tai from earning in Poland to ride in the National Championship??

A weekend for a big event would be great i agree, but i doubt it will happen. Just saying.

You need to read what I posted or not twist it. I said he would probably still have won but having home advantage is not a hindrance is it.

In case you didn't really read my post properly it was said as tongue in cheek. Being the best rider in the World makes no difference what track it is on personally speaking.

If Poland,Sweden,Denmark etc have their own Championships is it too difficult to have them all, including the British Final, on the same day or weekend.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 2