British Speedway Forum

God, I remember some cracking British Finals from the 80's and early 90's!! From Brandon on a Sunday afternoon, hardly enough room to swing a helmet cover round ya head, absolutely packed out and the Roseycomb pub pre meeting drinking with the American riders!!

Why can't we bring some real importance back into this meeting.... suppose there's nothing materialistic to gain, especially if they select a rider for Cardiff, and there's no world championship qualifiers like the overseas and inter-continental finals anymore....

Nothing wrong with Monmore. Definitely one of the country's better tracks. I agree with ORLOVSKI, the major meetings should be shared around. Having said that, the British Final at Brandon and the ELRC at the old Hyde Road were superb times and packed crowds.

The British Final at Somerset's Oak Tree Arena, with an air fence, would be terrific, and the ELRC at the EOES would be my choice for 2014.

• Like 1

All the best British Finals, I can remember were all at Coventry. I remember parking half a mile away, and having to walk to Brandon, because the crowds were so good. It was a meeting everybody wanted to go to, riders and spectators alike. Just to ride there was an achievement in it's self. Many times, top riders failed the qualification to reach the finals. such was the importance, the meeting held. Not only was the track always in brilliant condition, it provided every rider the opportunity to race. Being centrally located enable supporters from all parts of the country to attain. The place was always packed to the rafters and the atmosphere was amazing. How times have changed.!!!.

Although, Wolves is not one of my favoured tracks, it is central to the country. But the occasion is not same value it once was, now its just a glorified open meeting, that means very little. They took what credibility, it had, away last year by nominating the entrance to Cardiff.

Probably the only two places I would go to watch it now, would be Lynn or Peterborough, only then because it would be close to home..

• Like 2

Wolves is a good track but like all events it should be at a new track every year ..

• Like 1

Monmore might well be prepared OK but its about the only track where riders bikes go backwards into the corners before they go forward. Put it on a different track for a change. Boring being at Monmore every year, as is the ELRC at Swindon.

Same old riders will be in the top 4 virtually every year unless we give another track a chance.

Same old riders will be in the top 4 on any track. We don't have a wealth of riders threatening to break the boredom sadly.

OMG - we agree on something? :t:

I am a little surprised that it is possible. ;-)

Think i'll go along with what others say on here. It should be run at a different track every year. Not Wolves nor Coventry. And to my mind Somerset should get a shot.

Edited by Starman2006

Wouldn't it be great if there was a plan to share it around the country, I'm pretty sure that all home fans would go to it at their track and there will always be a few travelling fans, it's up to the riders to make the fans want to support them in individual meetings. I love the idea of a Saturday night or Sunday afternoon meeting at Lynn ........... those were the days ;)

I agree with SS as it should be on a different track from time to time. Tai probably would have won anyway but he does have home advantage which cannot bee right.

Plenty of good Premier League tracks that could do a good job, it would be neutral for all the top riders..

Think i'll go along with what others say on here. It should be run at a different track every year. Not Wolves nor Coventry. And to my mind Somerset should get a shot.

Why not Coventry, if we are talking about trying to revive the British Final then Brandon would be the ideal venue. Fair track, easy motorway links and probably the only stadium that could cope with the crowds it used to get. If there had to be a permanent home it should maybe be Coventry but as I said earlier they should share it around.

• Like 2

i would like to see it at workington. good track and plenty of space for every one. sheff is also a top track. but if you want something different, try redcar. start at 7.30 and it will all be over by 8.00.

These top meetings should be held at different tracks each year, also I would like to see the elrc held on a pl track and the plrc held on an EL track where no top pl rider doubles up.

That's been tried quite a few years ago and it didn't work

Not sure Somerset would want to give up the Premier league pairs on the eve of Cardiff in exchange for the British final.

Why not Coventry, if we are talking about trying to revive the British Final then Brandon would be the ideal venue. Fair track, easy motorway links and probably the only stadium that could cope with the crowds it used to get. If there had to be a permanent home it should maybe be Coventry but as I said earlier they should share it aroun

Rubbish, Coventry fans come out with the same old drivel. Why the hell should Coventry get it. They don't have any right to be given it, just because as every Coventry fan comes out with the same old line "its Central" Tough. You are dead right to say it should be shared around, including Somerset. And i hope the moron who came up with that stupid ruling for the British final as last season keeps his gobstopper shut. Should Tai win it, the runner up goes to Cardiff as the wildcard End of.

Not sure Somerset would want to give up the Premier league pairs on the eve of Cardiff in exchange for the British final.

Maybe not, but they have proved they are capable of holding a high profile meeting.

Edited by Starman2006

If we get our stadium built, the National championship should be at the national stadium

:rofl::rofl:

• Like 2

Wolves and Coventry( i have seen 7 British finals at Coventry i hated it gaters paradise now at Wolves i would never have it there either .Sheffield (prepared top class )Somerset,Scunny, Workington all better race strips it won't happen though it will stay at Wolves.