British Speedway Forum

If Poland,Sweden,Denmark etc have their own Championships is it too difficult to have them all, including the British Final, on the same day or weekend.

In most sports this system would be acceptable - but we are talking about speedway! :rolleyes:

Edited by Guest

If Poland,Sweden,Denmark etc have their own Championships is it too difficult to have them all, including the British Final, on the same day or weekend.

Very good point! Far too sensible tho!

• Like 1

It isn't hard to grasp, far from it. But do you seriously think it is in anyway a possibility or a probability?? From another perspective we expect to penalise Tai from earning in Poland to ride in the National Championship??

A weekend for a big event would be great i agree, but i doubt it will happen. Just saying.

The BSPA can do what they want with this one. If they day the British Final is the day of the 2nd leg of the Polish play=offs then if Tai is not at the British Final his license is taken away, however much the Poles want him their. It's about time we started doing things our way and not pandering to the Poles

Bring the meeting to Scunny, an awesome stadium,

Its a Sh1thole!

It has only been held on a Monday night for the TV cameras, stick it on a weekend, more people will go. The fact that it probably won't be on TV too will make even more people actually attend the meeting.

Say it every year but there should be more than two qualifiers, if you're British, have a licence and want to try become British champion there should be a route available for you to do so. No seeding or wild cards, you earn your right in the final and the winner/highest placed finisher if Woffinden wins goes to Cardiff as the wildcard.

Run it on a Saturday night, not a Sunday afternoon and it could be a great weekend for Speedway fans too, similar to Cardiff.

It has only been held on a Monday night for the TV cameras, stick it on a weekend, more people will go. The fact that it probably won't be on TV too will make even more people actually attend the meeting.

Say it every year but there should be more than two qualifiers, if you're British, have a licence and want to try become British champion there should be a route available for you to do so. No seeding or wild cards, you earn your right in the final and the winner/highest placed finisher if Woffinden wins goes to Cardiff as the wildcard.

Run it on a Saturday night, not a Sunday afternoon and it could be a great weekend for Speedway fans too, similar to Cardiff.

People will only come IF all the best Brits are there.

People will only come IF all the best Brits are there.

If they are the best Brits they should qualify easily.

Think you're underestimating people too, everyone loves an underdog and it is the national final. So what you may get a NL rider qualify? That's the beauty of it, anyone has a chance and it's something fans will enjoy.

If one of the 'best' Brits can't negotiate a semi final then tough breast, he doesn't deserve to be in the final.

If they are the best Brits they should qualify easily.

Think you're underestimating people too, everyone loves an underdog and it is the national final. So what you may get a NL rider qualify? That's the beauty of it, anyone has a chance and it's something fans will enjoy.

If your going to charge £20 fans want to see the top riders.Sure we would all like a pure format but reality says that if Woffinden or Harris cannot attend a semi final through injury it devalues the British final.

That's got to be one of the most superb suggestions ever, simple but perfect. Football used to have World Cup qualifiers and other competitions all over the joint lol until they sorted out a unified international calendar.

Come on you know the rules No sensible posts allowed
  • Like 1

Loved the British Finals at Coventry, especially the one that Martin Dugard won as my friends couldn't stand him. :P I can't remember any years but there was one that was rained off twice and it was third time lucky in the end. I can also recall having to leave the car near the beginning of the road to the stadium as the traffic just wasn't moving. We walked the whole length of that road with two small children. No wonder they have grown up not liking speedway. :D

Loved the British Finals at Coventry, especially the one that Martin Dugard won as my friends couldn't stand him. :P I can't remember any years but there was one that was rained off twice and it was third time lucky in the end. I can also recall having to leave the car near the beginning of the road to the stadium as the traffic just wasn't moving. We walked the whole length of that road with two small children. No wonder they have grown up not liking speedway. :D

I may be wrong not checked but I went to every British final from 1990 to 2007 and I don't think Martin Dugard ever was British Champion. He won the British Grand Prix at Coventry in 2000 as a wild card so you may be thinking of that.

My best race was the 1997 run off between Louis and Loram. 2 great friends racing hard but fair. unfortunately I don't have a link

I may be wrong not checked but I went to every British final from 1990 to 2007 and I don't think Martin Dugard ever was British Champion. He won the British Grand Prix at Coventry in 2000 as a wild card so you may be thinking of that.

My best race was the 1997 run off between Louis and Loram. 2 great friends racing hard but fair. unfortunately I don't have a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITeJSQm30n4

.......Gavan...... I may be wrong not checked but I went to every British final from 1990 to 2007 and I don't think Martin Dugard ever was British Champion. He won the British Grand Prix at Coventry in 2000 as a wild card so you may be thinking of that.

Thanks Gavan that was the one I was thinking about. This proves that when you're old and senile you just shouldn't get involved with 'conversations' on here and leave it to the ones who know what they are on about. :D