British Speedway Forum
2ndbendbeerhut

Speedway At The Crossroads

Wow! A lot of good relevant points in that, particularly regarding Speedway as a team sport NOT an individula sport as the FIM seem to be trying to turn it into. Would like to see "proper" second halves back but I fear most riders would not be interested and if the top riders were involved that would add more to the cost. Perhaps this article could be sent to the BSPA as it seems to encapsulate all the things us fans have been saying for the last couple of years. Kudos to the writer, whoever he/she is.

Just another rant like we get on here by the woe is me brigade. Nothing to see. Move along.

• Like 3

Very interesting points but i have to say some i do disagree with. Theres nothing more boring than when two home riders hit the first corner then just sit side by side not racing at all. I realise im probably alone but i prefer individual speedway where the riders actually race eachother. I also would be lost to speedway if all the top riders are drummed out

Nothing particularly new or ground breaking.

well you make some suggestions then

Just another rant like we get on here by the woe is me brigade. Nothing to see. Move along.

thats because, where the sport is concerned, there is woe

not at Poole, obviously, but you can't ace against yourselves every week

well you make some suggestions then

thats because, where the sport is concerned, there is woe

not at Poole, obviously, but you can't ace against yourselves every week

I've made plenty in the past, as have numerous other people. I don't disagree with the report, but it doesn't contain anything new.

I've made plenty in the past, as have numerous other people. I don't disagree with the report, but it doesn't contain anything new.

fair enough

• Like 1

Some excellent points,aside from the only real money club-Poole,who can really afford the top GP riders next year without the Sky cash? I'd rather do without them for the sake of the sport,some of the wage bills being talked of are mind boggling,back to basics and rebuild from there I say

No good hoping to get any sense from that tart from the South Coast, the attitudes emanating from down there are exactly what is ruining the sport. I was in favour of keeping the turbo twins intact, simply because they were draw cards in a product very much devoid of any other interesting fayre. The fact remains that there is a need for a degree of equality, within the League and certainly we need the top riders to be here if possible. Once we have decided we either can or cannot afford the best, by that I mean the league or the sport as a whole. Then we must go forward and somehow make speedway attractive again, we need to find a way to make speedway the close racing spectacle it once was, don't ask me how, but that is the basis point to which we must return, or we might as well put the shutters up.

As others have said, 15 minutes of racing featuring a smattering of world class riders duelling with Premier League reserves who are about half a lap behind, doesn't seem to be working. We must have equality of some kind. We must have a quality that enough people are prepared to pay to come and see.

I agree that in an ideal world, every club would have the riding staff and financial clout that Poole have at there disposal. it would make for an attractive League, and you cant knock them for trying, but it isn't in the best interests of the sport.

Sadly the best interests of the sport have been neglected badly both here and throughout Europe since 1978, but for a few brief years in the early 80's the sport has continued its serial decline in this country especially.

We now have a new English World Champion, this presents both an opportunity and a risk, lets hope the promoters take advantage of the first option.

Wow! A lot of good relevant points in that, particularly regarding Speedway as a team sport NOT an individula sport as the FIM seem to be trying to turn it into. Would like to see "proper" second halves back but I fear most riders would not be interested and if the top riders were involved that would add more to the cost. Perhaps this article could be sent to the BSPA as it seems to encapsulate all the things us fans have been saying for the last couple of years. Kudos to the writer, whoever he/she is.

That's why I have often suggested that the second half rides count towards qualification for the * * * * * * * League Riders Championship at the end of the season, thereby making the second half races more meaningful than just "Rider of the Night" and hopefully ensuring that team members appear in the second halves rather than flit off to the next country they are due to ride in

• Like 2

What a pointless, pompous, patronising post!

• Like 3

Some excellent points,aside from the only real money club-Poole,who can really afford the top GP riders next year without the Sky cash? I'd rather do without them for the sake of the sport,some of the wage bills being talked of are mind boggling,back to basics and rebuild from there I say

Back to basics indeed. I am all for that. I think that the sport should drop all team competitions and experiment for at least two seasons using the USA style of meeting format - individual events over scratch start and handicap start.

After the 1928 UK start for speedway the following year (as we all know :unsure: ) team racing was brought in. But somehow from being a then easy-t-follow basic format it has become complicated an involved and long lost the basic team principle of club organisation because of averages, rider-replacement and "what have you".

Two seaons of American-tyle individual racing could be the stimulation British speedway needs to recapture the interest of the sporting public at large. If it fails to dramatically improve the general public's interet in the sport then - and onl then - bring back team racing - but more akin to the format of the old days - 1929 to mid-1950s.

Edited by Guest

There's nothing wrong with Team Racing if you are watching YOUR team every week not Guest riders,Rider replacement and even reserve replacements how you you expect fans to get interested in THEIR team.They need to introduce a Squad system that covers the teams and not having every rider riding for every team in the league it makes a mockery of the team ethic.

• Like 3