Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Those who consider the RUMOURED points limit to be the death of Speedway, couldn't be more wrong. The most likely cause of the death of Speedway (as we know it)is bankruptcy, surely a reduced points limit would lessen that possibility.

Don't they usually wait until Tuesday to give a press release anyway?

• Like 2

Would British speedway be any worse off if all the overseas rider didn't ride here. Would people still go or do they just go to see the top riders. With a level field with only Brtish riders it could make the racing more competitive.

Without the usual two riders or one rider so far in front and the rest with not less rider skill but inferior machines coming home half a lap behind.

It also may improve the quaulity for our home riders if they got the chance to ride in a better British league structure. We would then get a better class of young British riders that could compete at world level.

We sadly need to bring on more top class young British riders than we have now and they are being held back by place in the top flight of both the EL/PL being made up of overseas riders.

We will have to wait and see what happens at the end of this week, but I think people would see so fine racing on our tracks if things planed out that way.

Britain needs British riders. They need to become the stars of the future not for the sake of Brtish speewday or world speedway but for the sake of and the future of speedway to carry on as the way it is, it can't carry on for much longer the way it is going at the moment.

Bring down admision prices. For one I can't afford to go to every meeting and have to chose when I go.

If the admission price was lowered and the racing was on a more level footing and it came back to what speewday is all about that is a team contest on the track, with the team pairings, getting a good gate and getting to the front and then teying their upmost to keep the other teams from passing then I think you would get some very good racing.

Not sure this is ever going to happens, maybe just a dream. But something drastic has to be done before we see most of the clubs go under from wages for riders who ask far to much to ride when I say do we need them.

Do we just go to see the top world names or do we go to see some decent speedway meetings.

How many of the top riders are contracted over here? The sport in the UK was in decline in the 1980's when 99% of the top riders rode here......so in answer I don't think that the standard of riders makes too much difference.

The main things are in this order Valve for Money Atmosphere & quality of racing ie close/passing.

I can never understand the reasoning behind the points limit. We all know you need 46 points to win a meeting so reducing the points limit for initial team building just means every riders average going to go up because of the points they will score.

The financial side of things will not change because of a points limit. There are still going to be 90 points paid each meeting. The riders will still ask for as much as they can get reguardless of any points limit.

The promoters pay the riders its only them that can change this but reducing points limits only limits the quality of rider not the money paid out just fans not seeing the best available.

Edited by GM

I can never understand the reasoning behind the points limit. We all know you need 46 points to win a meeting so reducing the points limit for initial team building just means every riders average going to go up because of the points they will score.

The financial side of things will not change because of a points limit. There are still going to be 90 points paid each meeting. The riders will still ask for as much as they can get reguardless of any points limit.

The promoters pay the riders its only them that can change this but reducing points limits only limits the quality of rider not the money paid out just fans not seeing the best available.

It reduces the number of big earners. Lower average riders tend to be paid less per point and are easier to replace if they become over demanding. 90 points paid to a bunch of 3-7 point men will cost a lot less than the ridiculous demands that have been made by some of the top names.
  • Like 1

It reduces the number of big earners. Lower average riders tend to be paid less per point and are easier to replace if they become over demanding. 90 points paid to a bunch of 3-7 point men will cost a lot less than the ridiculous demands that have been made by some of the top names.

Does it though?

If your boss quits his job and you are asked to take his position, you'd expect the same salary that he was on, wouldn't you?

I wouldn't be surprised if Hans Andersen was paid more per point in 2013, than Leigh Adams was in 2010.

• Like 2

And a lot less fans to paid for it .

Exactly, under a points limit, surely the lesser rider's averge would rise even more quickly, and then they start to ask for more?

What do you do then, keep reducing the points limit year after year, each time excluding any riders who have foolishly increased their average?

• Like 3

Exactly, under a points limit, surely the lesser rider's averge would rise even more quickly, and then they start to ask for more?

What do you do then, keep reducing the points limit year after year, each time excluding any riders who have foolishly increased their average?

Unless their status rose on the world stage, they wouldn't get it.

We don't actually know what's going to happen but we do know that costs have to be reduced, whether a TV deal is struck or not.

And a lot less fans to paid for it .

You don't actually know that.

You don't actually know that.

He does know. Ever year for the past five seasons or more the points limit has been reduced and every season less fans turn up.

Yes, occasionally one club may see a boost in fans due to on-track success or other factors, but on average attendances have reduced across the board for the last several seasons.

• Like 2

For now. These riders will then become the top riders and they will in turn will ask for more money. The promoters have fiddled (well some clubs have :P ) whilst Rome has burned to the point where the supporters product has been diluted because the top riders have held speedway in this country to ransom. This is not Sky's fault. They paid monies for a minority sport and brought it back in to vogue and in to the public eye. £100k per year is not an inconsiderable amount of monies if you do your sums properly. It is the responsibility of the promoters to ensure a proper business model and they have failed year after year to take responsibility. It will be interesting to see how much exposure Tai gets in the local and national media on the back of winning of the world championship. He should be a huge plus point in getting the sport back on its feet but can you see the promoters taking advantage of this fantastic opportunity?

I do not know the answer but had the issue been addressed 10 years ago as it should have been then the likelihood is that speedway in this country would be on the way back. In the meantime, we continue going backwards in order to go forwards.

I do wonder where we have gone to with points limits in the 1980s I seem to remember 50 point limit crowds was good most things in speedway was going well is it just a coincidence that the continued annual points limit reduction has seen the continued loss of fans that are attracted each week to watch . If the points limit hadn't been reduced each season maybe most of the worlds top riders would still ride over here and in turn the missing fans may not have been lost to the sport as well .

Unless their status rose on the world stage, they wouldn't get it.

We don't actually know what's going to happen but we do know that costs have to be reduced, whether a TV deal is struck or not.

But if they were winning meetings for the team in the British league, then they become valuable among the British promoters and so they arguably would be able to start making demands.

If their status rose on the world stage, they probably wouldn't be riding in the UK anyway under a strict points limit.

You're really boring you know. Why do you make this crap up? Does it give you some kind of moronic thrill?

• 12 Elite League Teams
  • 38.00 Limit
  • Only 1 rider over 7.50

Because he needs to do something else with his wrists now and again. :rolleyes::rolleyes::shock::rofl::blink:

One of the main problems , over the years, since the points limit keeps being reduced is that most teams each year have to rebuild their side to get within the points limit.

Gone are the days when fans can relate to the riders year after year.

• Like 1

I do wonder where we have gone to with points limits in the 1980s I seem to remember 50 point limit crowds was good most things in speedway was going well is it just a coincidence that the continued annual points limit reduction has seen the continued loss of fans that are attracted each week to watch . If the points limit hadn't been reduced each season maybe most of the worlds top riders would still ride over here and in turn the missing fans may not have been lost to the sport as well .

In Poland they have ALL the top riders, lots of sponsors and publicity, but their crowds have been falling for years, we all remember the big attendances that they had years ago but in many cases what was 20,000 is now more likely in single figures or slightly more, their riders are being made to take pay cuts as a result. I think that most of the "missing fans" have gone elsewhere for other reasons than the status of the riders on view. Anyway, as I said earlier "we have to wait for the announcements" and those announcement are coming from those who put a lot of money on the line to keep the "sport" running.
  • Like 2