British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Oh God, what have we done? Am I seriously expected to pay more next season for two Elite league season tickets, to watch National league riders? A lower standard than I was watching in the Premier league??????

MY understanding is that the heats involving NL riders will be "protected" which presumably means they will only race against each other...

I think most on here were all in agreement that the level of rider from no.1 to no.6/7 was simply too big in the EL.

They have now made it bigger.

• Like 1

Elite League:
10 teams: Belle Vue, Birmingham, Coventry, Eastbourne, King’s Lynn, Lakeside, Leicester, Poole, Swindon, Wolverhampton.
Points limit 32 (top five riders); National League riders at No.6 and No.7
Teams meet each other twice home and away - minimum 18 home fixtures, 36 in league programme.
Play-offs as before (for top four teams).

Premier League:
12 Teams: Berwick, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Ipswich, Newcastle, Plymouth, Redcar, Rye House, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Somerset, Workington.
Points limit 42.50
Extended regular league programme giving 14 home and 14 away fixtures.
Play-offs as before (for top six teams).
League Cup: Three groups of four teams
KO Cup retained as before

Do we usually hear the cuckoo as late as this in the year? :unsure:

Edited by Guest

I am thinking it could be 3 or 4 reserve only races in the meeting ? That could work

That would mean a quarter of elite matches will in effect be national lge matches. How pathetic is that...

• Like 1

I am thinking it could be 3 or 4 reserve only races in the meeting ? That could work

They're not going to make any improvement if they are only racing against other NL riders.

They have to race against the big boys.

If they're given access to some of their team mates equipment you would expect an improvement.

• Like 1

With 10 Elite clubs that's 20 National League riders to fill the reserve positions, and I assume some National League riders will have to fill Premier League 3 point reserve places, and take the place of a Premier lowest reserve if he is injured. If you take away the National League riders who don't want to ride Elite because they can't afford it, especially as they will only score points in heat two, or they want to progress through the Premier first, which is the sensible course of action, are there going to be enough riders to fill these Elite reserve slots with injury's etc and how will the National League continue with so many clashes of fixtures.

The Announcement doesn't appear to specify anything about the NL riders.

Current NL riders?

Next season's NL riders?

Riders that have ridden in the NL in the last 3 seasons?

The mind boggles.

I am still looking - I take it that NL plans, teams, compeitions, etc are from their own AGM to be held at another time. I can't see anything about the NL as such in the BSPA statement.

Great idea!

Can see were the bspa are coming from hopefully this should help develop up and coming young talent.

I am thinking it could be 3 or 4 reserve only races in the meeting ?

They really do have to keep the reserves away from the heat leaders. No more teams relying on flying reserves to get an advantage. With that gone and with the traditional tactical substitute system not being mentioned just where are the opportunities for team managers to use tactics?

They needed to cut cost but as usual it looks like they've come up with an unworkable compromise that'll have to be re-thought in a year's time. The reduction in cost needed to be spread through the teams to keep racing competitive. Difficult days and I don't think this is at all radical enough.

The Premier League seem to have defended their product reasonably well though but I really fear for the EL now.

Very sorry for Peterborough - that's the biggest disaster in there. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before a deal to run them in the PL is found.

• Like 1

MY understanding is that the heats involving NL riders will be "protected" which presumably means they will only race against each other...

Going to create a false market as clubs pay sums to get the best of the crop.

• Like 1

Even if the format is changed to allow the NL riders to race mainly against themselves, what happens if a team use R/R or lose a top 5 rider to injury during a match and need reserves to cover...

Costs will go up as the likes of Poole throw a fortune at the best NL riders.

Will the two NL riders be a permanent fixture in the team, or will it be just pick any 2 random NL riders per match? How can they be a permanent fixture in the EL when there would clearly be fixture clashes with their NL matches (and PL matches) left, right and centre.

If the heat format isn't changed, the NL riders will be destroyed. If the format is changed, matches will be swung in favour of those who bid top dollar to recruit the best NL riders regardless of what the top 5 do.

Presumably they can't be given EL averages from their EL races as it would end up with a mathematical mess more complex than Fermat's Last Theorum.

The potential for average fiddling and all kinds of dodgy dealing is immense.

• Like 6

Have 11 reserve races, and just 4 for your 1 to 5 riders, that would save a lot of heat leader points money.

• Like 2