British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

True, but a lot of what you say is your assumption. All I said was give the BPSA time to detail their plans when a lot of the negatives should be answered. I personally don't think they went far enough.

So the if we have to wait for the BSPA to detail their plans, then all we have really got at the moment is an "idea" with no concrete evidence of how it will be acheived in reality.

World peace and a cure for all diseases are also good ideas - we just have to give time to sort out the details - simple.

• Like 1

So the if we have to wait for the BSPA to detail their plans, then all we have really got at the moment is an "idea" with no concrete evidence of how it will be acheived in reality.

World peace and a cure for all diseases are also good ideas - we just have to give time to sort out the details - simple.

Now you're being extreme. I am of the impression that the BSPA have hit upon a new idea, to reduce costs, fast track the British youngsters. Sure, they could have said nothing until all the details were finalised, but they decided to announce the idea before they'd had time to finish. All I said was give them a chance . There's bound to be a few issues to iron out but so what.........

• Like 1

So what if a few young riders are compelled to ride above their level and above their financial means too soon and are lost to the sport.

Make no mistake, it will be sink or swim for some of these young lads.

At least a handful of promoters will have saved a few quid.

Edited by Shale Shaker
  • Like 1

Not read through all the posts but want to touch on what White Knight said a couple of pages ago, he summed up my thoughts when i read the statement about these young riders no doubt going out to buy the best and fastest bikes they can and then racing above their level of ability and end up injurying themselves and possibly others.

Not against the concept of pushing the younger riders but like everything with the bspa its always done in a way which suits them first and the sport second.

One other thing, all very well having these new rules but whats going to be done to improve the match day experience? if meetings are still going to be long drawn out affairs on poorly prepared tracks with little or no entertainment then what is the point.

• Like 1

what worries me is the "allocated" NL riders, straight away thats open to abuse, should be a straight forward draw.

You really couldn't do that. How could a rider based (just as an example.) in Essex, with a job/college commitments manage if he was allocated to, say, Belle Vue - a Monday night track...? Yes of course budding Speedway riders need to be flexible and do have to take a lot of time off but they also need to be able to make their own career decisions: being 'allocated' whether by draw or pick smacks of bloomin' serfdom!!

I think the allocation idea just complicates the issue. Fair enough, make the rule to include young British riders at reserve for a year, but let the Clubs and Riders do the sorting out of who rides for where. That way everyone has a chance to ride where they want.

• Like 2

So, am I to assume my 'BL team' will comprise a 1-5 of one or two Elite League riders, three or four double uppers. This will be topped up by NL riders at six and seven? Looks like £10 Adult speedway admission price has arrived!

• Like 1

As much I see pitfalls, it's a good idea in principle if the riders are allocated via a draft and the meeting formats are altered.

However, why do we need fast-tracks so quick. The aim should be to achieve this (NL reserves in EL spots) within 3 to 5 years.

Why not initially use British riders with say no more than 7 years experience in the EL reserves spots and then British riders with say no more than 4 years experience in the PL. Then as you build towards the final objective.

Riders develop at different rates just like everyone else.

Some come on faster than others, it does not mean that slower developers have any less potential.

The fast-tracking approach just seems too heavy handed and will discourage as many riders as it benefits.

• Like 2

I thought that there were three different AGM's the EL, PL & NL. When people say the "BSPA" who exactly do they mean?

The BSPA are the promoters of EL and PL promotions. The Chairmen of stand alone NL teams are 'affiliated' to the BSPA, usually under the direction of Peter Morrish.

Just a few points to correct some wrong assumptions above.

The idea may be new to the UK, but it already works well in both the Polish and Swedish leagues. We are copying something that works for leagues that are more successful than us at the moment.

Riders will not be NL only, as they will be a mix of the better young riders in both the NL and PL. John Cook has already explained this in his interview in the SGP site.

Riders wil be riding similar standard riders in most of their races, so they will not be riding above other riders as much as they do in say the PL. A rider may be racing above their level of ability but no more than any other rider who takes a step up in either the EL, PL, NL or the JDL's. It's how riders develop and always will be.

It's already been stated that the 20 or so riders would be allocated with respect to where they are based.

• Like 2

So, am I to assume my 'BL team' will comprise a 1-5 of one or two Elite League riders, three or four double uppers. This will be topped up by NL riders at six and seven? Looks like £10 Adult speedway admission price has arrived!

You should be so lucky! Wont lower the price at all. I dont see what the issue is with watching these youngsters ride. Many a Heathen fan will tell you that the racing on Tuesday night is a darn lot better than on a Monday night when Wolves Ride!

Yes its quicker but the riders in the EL are not on a level playing field finacially and this factor dose not aid good close racing. Look at Smolinski, got a good bike under his new sponsers and he romps around at the front every week and has got himself to the GPs by having that backing.

I think you will be suprised when you see the NL ride and how great it is to watch.

• Like 3

So what if a few young riders are compelled to ride above their level and above their financial means too soon and are lost to the sport.

Make no mistake, it will be sink or swim for some of these young lads.

At least a handful of promoters will have saved a few quid.

They have two races against riders of the same level, they still get to ride in NL and PL and what they are to be paid hasn't been disclosed. I have already of one rider who is likely to be in the 20 who will jump at the chance if asked. There is no compulsion, they can opt out if offered the chance.
  • Like 1

Riders develop at different rates just like everyone else.

Some come on faster than others, it does not mean that slower developers have any less potential.

The fast-tracking approach just seems too heavy handed and will discourage as many riders as it benefits.

Must agree, and surely these lads must have some say in where they ride, otherwise all the good intentions may do more harm than good..

• Like 1

My doubts are based on what the riders will actually gain from this.

If the likes of Newman Howarth andGarrity are in the allocation what will they learn? They are already PL 2nd strings and will now be getting additional races at the equivalent of NL heat 13 PL heat 2 and PL heat 8.

The likes of Ellis Nielsen Blackbird are not too far off the same position.

These will be looking to push for PL heat leader positions and aiming for PL heat 15 which would offer them better experience.

The ring fencing of heats will do little for their development IMO.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv