British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

My agenda :rofl: The 1-5 will cover for each other :rofl: Even Hougaard racing has never come out with anything that crackpot.

So what you are saying is a format will be produced where tape exclusions, injuries to riders which cause them to be withdrawn and any other unforseen circumstance which makes a rider miss a ride will be covered by the 1-5 rather than the reserves.

I can't wait to see that one :rofl:

2 milliseconds later and it still sounds bonkers but please as I am sure you have thought it out longer than me. Enlighten us to this magic format where reserves no longer cover for the ups and downs of the main body during a meeting.

The answer is staring you in the face but if you can't work it out you'll have to wait for the rules. You won't like it of course because you won't like whatever they do, but for the moment just accept that you are completely wrong in banging on about reserves Coming out to replace a number one etc. Wait for the rules to be published then you can bang on to your hearts content about rules that actually exist instead of finding fault with rules that exist only in your imagination

• Like 2

The real problem is if fans only go to the NL meetings, then suddenly your EL team is losing thousands of pounds a week. This is what happened at Oxford. Their EL team was performing terribly and their NL team very well, so fans missed EL meetings in favour of attending NL matches.

As others have said, running an NL team does not attract any new fans, unless you come up with a cleaver gimmick, like Dudley Heathens. You are therefore totally reliant on existing fans attending more meetings, which in the current climate is a big ask.

Did not know that happened at Oxford but I get your point.

Anyone from anywhere is welcome at Brough every week.

I just feel calling a team Sunderland in Newcastle would not attract local fans and, yes, it is, I'm afraid, a football thing, about the name.

We have always been made VERY welcome at Brough Park and loads of good folk know where we are from - no-one makes us feel unwelcome and we always have some playful banter.

We have great chat and great fun - apart from Double Points, which, in the area we stand, mostly agree the Rule is ridiculous. ;)

It is truly a shame that it can't always be like that. :sad: :sad:

The real problem is if fans only go to the NL meetings, then suddenly your EL team is losing thousands of pounds a week. This is what happened at Oxford. Their EL team was performing terribly and their NL team very well, so fans missed EL meetings in favour of attending NL matches.

Hmm, not sure that's right. The year Oxford won the CL title they had barely any home fixtures from May 'til late September - when they completed the season via a series of double headers, at least two of which the FIRST match in the set of two was halted after heat 12 because of fears of breaking the curfew later. It was the low point in the history of the third tier - that a club holding the CL in such utter contempt were allowed to do this and end up as champs..

Yes. A consumer making the decison not to spend their money on a product that does not cater to their requirements is very "adult like".

What a foolish post.

Why view their opinion then on a website then that caters for speedway supporters? See, it's bit of a giveaway in the supporters bit. I mean speedway's hardly thriving and what we really need is spoilt men behaving like 3 year olds. But who cares if people feel the "urge' to watch polish speedway and the British league suffer more.

• Like 1

The promoters are offering what they can afford to offer. Being a promoter means that they are taking the risks! The new set-up can help British riders, lessen the dependence on foreign riders and hopefully mean that everyone can afford to carry on. They might not be offering what YOU want, but I wan't to give it a fair go. Trying to blackmail them by staying away won't suddenly make them wan't to risk everything on more expensive options, that's already been tried and it lead to this.

How about the promotors offering riders at the other end of the pay-scale what they can afford to,that's the area that's got them in more of a bad financial situation afterall,

The answer is staring you in the face but if you can't work it out you'll have to wait for the rules. You won't like it of course because you won't like whatever they do, but for the moment just accept that you are completely wrong in banging on about reserves Coming out to replace a number one etc. Wait for the rules to be published then you can bang on to your hearts content about rules that actually exist instead of finding fault with rules that exist only in your imagination

I think a reserve coming out to replace a rider in the top five is a lot more likely than riders in the top five replacing each other .Even if you were correct that rule would be a lot worst

So Koscuich gets £100 + a point, air fares paid, a van, a mechanic to ride at reserve, but a British youngster is only worth £40 a point. Get rid of the GP riders if you want to save money, & stop pretending that this is being done to help them. Nothing against Norbi by the way, just using him as an example.

I totally agree the GP riders should go the sport should of been brave and tried to start again without sky. And balance the books and pay only what they can afford also this myth about helping British youngsters is total rubbish. Edited by sidney

Was just about to post something very similar. I don't know a great deal about Phil Morris, what I do know and have seen over a good few years is that he is very keen on helping youngsters make their way in Speedway. I don't believe that there is any way he would involve himself in a scheme that would hurt the development of young British riders.

If that pay rate is right it may not be a great payday but these are kids who generally would be riding NL at £10 per point (in theory) or PL and not earning any or much more than they are being offered. We don't yet know what the package is but the opportunity is there for a kid to make some big strides if they take advantage of it. As for upgrading to EL equipment that's not strictly true as they will be riding against the same people they would be in the NL and PL. However when the time comes to make the step up perhaps they will be better informed as to the upgrades they really need to make rather than just throwing money at stuff that won't actually make them faster.

These kids are at the sharp end of the NL and as your theory,will be riding for more than £10 a point I assure you,they'll pull in a bit of help here and there too

Equipment wise,you'll find these NL rides' 2 bikes sitting in the pits made up of incredibly similar set ups to the top boys,aside from some of what's inside engines-but not greatly as the area that the money all goes is in keeping things new or to as high standard as possible for as long as possible,clutch plates in machinery used in the NL/PL often have to last 2 or 3 times longer than EL when riders are on 1/3 of the money,and engines will simply have go another couple of meetings before a freshen up or rebuild

If promotors decide they need to try this approach to the reserve area of 6 and 7 then the £120 should be after a figure to cover their costs as previous import riders usually cost promoters anything from vans,board,flights and usually some form of guarantee etc,that's if their claiming that it's for the good of these lads

4 riders at every EL meeting costing promotors peanuts is a pretty low even by their standards,labelling it as "bringing on British talent",give them more of an honest figure to help them and reward them for their commitment,if if has to come from somewhere then it should be the other end,I appreciate that the whole ins and outs aren't exactly known but surely it makes sense regardless?

Will be great if a number of clubs take up this offer - remember back in 2002 that Peterborough, Wolverhampton, Sheffield, Oxford, Newcastle, Stoke, Swindon & Rye House all did this... Can't recall if Newport did or if they were stand-alone CL back then; but over the years KL, Newport & Rye have always been good at running or hosting a third tier side alongside their 'main' side.

Personally if they do (EL & PL clubs entering a 'second side' that is..) I hope they consider using a different main team-name.. To me it's better all round to have that entirely separate identity - better to provoke interest locally and certainly better for those of us at other NL clubs (particularly the stand-alones) to 'spin' the League.

They'll always be people who'll accuse the NL of being a 'reserve' division otherwise, when with some imagination it can have the look & feel of a fully-fledged third division.

The example, I'm thinking needs to be followed is when Poole ran a successful NL club under te name & branding of Bournemouth Buccaneers.

Question didn't that pack up through lack of support?

Question didn't that pack up through lack of support?

Had two seasons. I went to many Buccs meetings at Poole - always tremendous enthusiasm and good turn out. Won the League & Cup double in the first season.

Are they still going now? No. So did Matt Ford decide to pull the plug on the experiment? Yes. Does that make the Bournemouth Buccs a failure?: not in any way.

No-one suggests a top club (and let's be honest they don't come any bigger than Poole!) running an NL club should have to do it for ever but there's no doubt it's a good idea; and I'm sure people actually involved with a club like the Buccs (as I was) will tell you it was a 100% fulfilling and worthwhile experience.

• Like 1

How about the promotors offering riders at the other end of the pay-scale what they can afford to,that's the area that's got them in more of a bad financial situation afterall,

Those riders have other options if you fail to satisfy their requirements, but the new points limit and only five places available and more fixtures all seem to be having that effect as the number or big earners is reduced.

You can't change anything with that attitude.

It's time to speak with actions, not with words. The promoters have nobody to blame but themselves.

But it's doing the same as it has been the last 10 years ..bringing in rules that will bring in less fans ...unless more fans are found speedway will be dead .this is hardly a drastic measure it's just another way of trying to save money thinking that the same numbers will still come and watch .

So what would you do? if you had a free range of the rule book.

Edited by TMW

Some questions answered hear: -

sports-radio.co.uk

(Click on the podcast "The speedway Tavern")

Edited by guitar_art

So as I originally posted (to which you disagreed); ill thought out, half-arsed proposals made up on the hoof. As so much appears to be attached to these changes one would imagine that the full consequences of the changes had been considered and suitable regulation drawn up before going public. It is clear that even you are awaiting the rules to be cobbled together. Elite League? More like Amateurs!