British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Read my post carefully and you will see I was not talking about you, I was talking about the poster you were commenting on i.e the one that commented on the state of the stadiums.. You raised question, I was answering that, not criticising you at all.

My apologies.

In regard to the suggested by myself for a levy imposed by promoters to meet the cost of stadium improvements, I now think that my estimate for an additional 10 per cent on admission charges may have been too lower and that a figure nearer to 20 per scent is more realisatic. I have edited to this amount in my original comment.

Edited by Guest

He blames the promoters for the state of the stadiums because, as a chronic complainer who hasn't been to a meeting in years, he always posts the first thing that comes into his head, rather than to take the time to put forward constructive criticism,.

Have taken time to give constructive criticism, in my time stood on the terraces, but my advice wasn't listened to and I therefore followed the only other avenue I knew... no longer attending, which I would have stopped doing sooner but really prayed the old girl would change her ways.

Alas, like Mr Mox, many others turned off and headed right down the very same avenue.

Edited by moxey63

People should give their heads a wobble. defending the people who have taken SKY multi-million deal over 15 years and have nowt to show for it. The boom years of the 70s and post-war, you could say the same.

Posts that believe there is nothing wrong with speedway and the way it's been run over time should perhaps begin questioning why it is in such dire straits.

The sport is hanging on by the skin of its teeth; clubs relying on landlords not selling for redevolpment soon after the last heat time is given.

Speedway is a come day, go day sport.

Come on... you know it's the truth.

Nobody is defending the promoters, merely suggesting you get a few facts straight.

The real boom years were in the immediate post war period for just a few years before crowds were driven away by the crippling cost of the governments entertainment tax (passed on to admission charges) and the growth of television.By the end of the 1950's the sport had all but ceased to exist and was only saved by the founding on the cut price Provincial League, which of necessity was in rented stadiums. Whist a few clubs may have been comfortable speedway in general existed on a shoestring from that point on. If you read Len Silvers book he has always led a pretty much hand to mouth existence as a promoter, often subsidising the sport from his outside interests, especially in recent years.

Over the last 50 years the promoters have been collectively responsible for many things but being awash with money is not one of them.

As usual you again peddle the untrue line about people believing there is nothing wrong with speedway. Those of us that still go (which doesn't include yourself, as you never tire of telling us) are fully aware of the problems because we are confronted with them all the time. The last thing we need is those like yourself, who no longer have time for the sport doing your best to put the boot in and belittling those who still enjoy it by twisting the facts of speedway history instead of bothering with constructive discussion.

• Like 9

Read my post carefully and you will see I was not talking about you, I was talking about the poster you were commenting on i.e the one that commented on the state of the stadiums.. You raised question, I was answering that, not criticising you at all.

And i'm sure he'll apologise for going off half cocked again...hmm, maybe not.

Seems the B.S.P.A. don't have the monopoly on stupid ideas. From the start of the 2014 season, the final round of the Formula one GPs will score double points, meaning the winner of the final round will score 50 points!!!! wonder if they'll wear black and white.

Seems the B.S.P.A. don't have the monopoly on stupid ideas. From the start of the 2014 season, the final round of the Formula one GPs will score double points, meaning the winner of the final round will score 50 points!!!! wonder if they'll wear black and white.

Jesus wept man that would be insane :)

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 1

plus a cap on team expenditure to curb costs!!!

Where Speedway starts, others follow!! :t::rofl:

• Like 2

Nobody is defending the promoters, merely suggesting you get a few facts straight.

The real boom years were in the immediate post war period for just a few years before crowds were driven away by the crippling cost of the governments entertainment tax (passed on to admission charges) and the growth of television.By the end of the 1950's the sport had all but ceased to exist and was only saved by the founding on the cut price Provincial League, which of necessity was in rented stadiums. Whist a few clubs may have been comfortable speedway in general existed on a shoestring from that point on. If you read Len Silvers book he has always led a pretty much hand to mouth existence as a promoter, often subsidising the sport from his outside interests, especially in recent years.

Over the last 50 years the promoters have been collectively responsible for many things but being awash with money is not one of them.

As usual you again peddle the untrue line about people believing there is nothing wrong with speedway. Those of us that still go (which doesn't include yourself, as you never tire of telling us) are fully aware of the problems because we are confronted with them all the time. The last thing we need is those like yourself, who no longer have time for the sport doing your best to put the boot in and belittling those who still enjoy it by twisting the facts of speedway history instead of bothering with constructive discussion.

Still think I'm right..

I do have a slight insight into speedway's history, thank you... I know the boom and bust years off hand.

Must also add, never before has there been a period of money coming into the sport via live TV coverage (SKY)... but where has the money gone?

Never before has the sport warranted as much airtime. But what good has come of it? Possibly the same people still attend that did 15 years ago (minus me, o' course)

Regards promoters (a loose term of phrase) propping up clubs so they can survive... isn't that why the sport is a come day, go day sport?

If the animal is suffering, then let it drift off with some dignity. It'll only cost more in vets' bills if you dilly-dally.

Perhaps the reason the sport is as it is, is indeed because we let people run the sport who are (um de dum) quite hapy to lose money hand over fist. Perhaps, had they intended to make a profit, surely they would try to lessen their mistakes... and speedway, fans and anyone with and interest, would be better served.

Instead of all the hassle, wouldn't any sane person just open up his wallet on a windy day and wave a grande bye to his hard earned cash (even five or ten pounds), instead of putting his home, his family's lifestyle at risk, just so a group of dwindling fans can have their night out?

If they are so intent to lose money, I know of someone who'll gladly accept it.

It doesn't make sense. Anybody losing money the way promoters do (apparently) must be ape sht crazy. You wouldn't, would you.. even buying a bag of crisp, getting outside the store and throwing them away... is that what the promoters are doing with their money, which they have built up through hard work and business sense, only to go mad and throw it away for the speedway.

The debate continues. SKY are still aboard and yet, I bet, this time next season we'll still be discussing the sport and its one year closer to greeting the grim reaper. I hear the Speedway Star has at least one week's edition set aside in the winter to discuss it.

Edited by moxey63

Still think I'm right..

I do have a slight insight into speedway's history, thank you... I know the boom and bust years off hand.

Must also add, never before has there been a period of money coming into the sport via live TV coverage (SKY)... but where has the money gone?

Never before has the sport warranted as much airtime. But what good has come of it? Possibly the same people still attend that did 15 years ago (minus me, o' course)

Regards promoters (a loose term of phrase) propping up clubs so they can survive... isn't that why the sport is a come day, go day sport?

If the animal is suffering, then let it drift off with some dignity. It'll only cost more in vets' bills if you dilly-dally.

Perhaps the reason the sport is as it is, is indeed because we let people run the sport who are (um de dum) quite hapy to lose money hand over fist. Perhaps, had they intended to make a profit, surely they would try to lessen their mistakes... and speedway, fans and anyone with and interest, would be better served.

Instead of all the hassle, wouldn't any sane person just open up his wallet on a windy day and wave a grande bye to his hard earned cash (even five or ten pounds), instead of putting his home, his family's lifestyle at risk, just so a group of dwindling fans can have their night out?

If they are so intent to lose money, I know of someone who'll gladly accept it.

It doesn't make sense. Anybody losing money the way promoters do (apparently) must be ape sht crazy. You wouldn't, would you.. even buying a bag of crisp, getting outside the store and throwing them away... is that what the promoters are doing with their money, which they have built up through hard work and business sense, only to go mad and throw it away for the speedway.

The debate continues. SKY are still aboard and yet, I bet, this time next season we'll still be discussing the sport and its one year closer to greeting the grim reaper. I hear the Speedway Star has at least one week's edition set aside in the winter to discuss it.

Bound to be, as a sport can't be turned around in one season, not even by you.

The 'grim reaper' target is also a one we will all be approaching, including you and me.

• Like 3

Every year it seems the BSPA miss out key changes in the statement that come out of the AGM, it seems 2013 is no different.

Dont know whether this applies to PL aswell as EL:

1. Highest averaged rider doesnt have to ride in the number 1 postion, but top 3 have to ride 1, 3 or 5.

2. If any of your top 5 are missing then you have the option of a guest.

This was apparently said at the Brummies talk in last night.

Edited by Brummie Kev

Bound to be, as a sport can't be turned around in one season, not even by you.

The 'grim reaper' target is also a one we will all be approaching, including you and me.

The thing is though, in my opinion, something should have been, at least started, to be done about it 5 or more years ago, when it was apparent tthe sport was on the slippery slope downwards.

The thing is though, in my opinion, something should have been, at least started, to be done about it 5 or more years ago, when it was apparent tthe sport was on the slippery slope downwards.

You could also say that about 10 years ago as well, and even more importantly, not investing the money in stadia when the big money was being made in say the 80's. There was big money in them days and the current situation is our legacy because of poor investment. EL promoters caved in to the hiked demands of the big lads when the first SKY was signed, and spiralled the costs of all riders.

These are the real culprits, not the current ones who in many cases pay to give us Speedway. It is mostly subsidised now, and I am sure you would agree, telling others to invest more, is a damn site easier that actually doing it. The first signs of reality to get rid of foreign expensive riders has started, with the EL protected reserves initiative, but when they do take these steps, the usual suspects decry any actions even when the promoters do do something about the problems. Promoters are well aware things need to be done, but they can only do what they and the sport can afford.

• Like 3

You could also say that about 10 years ago as well, and even more importantly, not investing the money in stadia when the big money was being made in say the 80's. There was big money in them days and the current situation is our legacy because of poor investment. EL promoters caved in to the hiked demands of the big lads when the first SKY was signed, and spiralled the costs of all riders.

These are the real culprits, not the current ones who in many cases pay to give us Speedway. It is mostly subsidised now, and I am sure you would agree, telling others to invest more, is a damn site easier that actually doing it. The first signs of reality to get rid of foreign expensive riders has started, with the EL protected reserves initiative, but when they do take these steps, the usual suspects decry any actions even when the promoters do do something about the problems. Promoters are well aware things need to be done, but they can only do what they and the sport can afford.

I did say 5 or more (as a generalisation)!

Totally agree in what you say. It's OK some saying "you have to speculate to accumalate" but, if you haven't got the finances in the first place, you can't do that. I'd love to buy a Rolls Royce, but haven't got the finances to do so!

• Like 1