British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

I wasn't making any comment on the strength of the league in those years. I was merely calling out the silly statement that the points limit had reduced in each of the last 5 years, and that this had a direct relationship to crowd levels.

You and I both know that if all other factors remain stable, then the limit should always be approx. 42

However this has to be moved if other factors change. e.g. An increase or decrease in the number of teams taking part, or an increase or decrease in the number of riders wanting to ride in the EL at the terms available.

If more teams are coming into the EL then the limit has to be lowered to maintain the status quo, If teams are dropping out of the EL, the limit needs to be raised. If top riders are ruling themselves out by not wanting to race in the EL on the money available, then the limit has to drop, if top riders not currently racing here are willing to return on the terms available, then the limit needs to be raised.

The formula for setting the points limit is straight-forward.

Decide the number of competing teams, and multiply by 7.

Draw up a list of this number of riders who want to race here at economically viable terms.

Add together all these riders' averages and divide by the number of teams.

This gives the best average to ensure all teams start approximately equal with an even share of the riders available.

It doesn't matter what this figure is. It is the best figure to give a chance of equal competitive racing. And competitive racing is what is most important

Don't forget you always need to have extra riders not in the opening teams to cover for early injured riders. One would hope that all the Brits of reasonable ability and attitude, got places first and the remainder in the teams and on the reserve injury list are foreigners.

In all motor sport there is none other with a more level playing field equipment wise than a speedway bike you have a choice of 2 engines,2 exhaust makes, no gear boxes to worry about a choice of 3 carbs and they all race on the same fuel. The only bit that controls the changes to the bikes is the gear sprocket on the rear wheel that they alter to suit each track or track conditions and the cluch which eavery rider has his own personal settings.

So it dose not make a great big choice as say in motor GP with a choice of bikes frames engines team manifacturers etc. The choices to a speedway rider are very limited, the top lads probably have far better mechanics than lads at national level but the bikes are still the same. The other facter is that the top lads can have a choice of 4 or 4 bikes on a race night so that puts the poor humble lower league lads a bit of an unfair advantage. Plus they don't yet have that experance, skill and speeed that the likes of Tai etc have.

All in all their machines should be or should almost be identical.

Do what they did in Reanault sports car racing devolop a bike that is identical, do not allow any mods other than the rear sprocket and give them all one bike a piece ( I mean they have one identical bike apiece with no engine mods allowed).

It is then just up to the skill of the riders and not an unfair advantage of superior machines it is the rider alone that wins the race.

If people want to see the worlds top riders ovewr here then do something along the lines of premier football clubs. X amount of clubs with just the worlds to riders if that is what people wish to see.

I would rather see so good team speedway raced by even matched teams that gave first class racing. That what you are seeing now with a couple of top riders making a mad dash to the front and then a long strung out proccesion of rider that far behind that the next race is due to start before the last man finishes.

Speedway needs to have a complete rethink or all will be lost in a feqw years I am afraid

Have to agree, you only have to look and the massive crowds that F1 have to to see that fans hate long strung out procession racing ..I guess at least in f1 the same driver never wins every race

Edited by orion

I wasn't making any comment on the strength of the league in those years. I was merely calling out the silly statement that the points limit had reduced in each of the last 5 years, and that this had a direct relationship to crowd levels.

You and I both know that if all other factors remain stable, then the limit should always be approx. 42

However this has to be moved if other factors change. e.g. An increase or decrease in the number of teams taking part, or an increase or decrease in the number of riders wanting to ride in the EL at the terms available.

If more teams are coming into the EL then the limit has to be lowered to maintain the status quo, If teams are dropping out of the EL, the limit needs to be raised. If top riders are ruling themselves out by not wanting to race in the EL on the money available, then the limit has to drop, if top riders not currently racing here are willing to return on the terms available, then the limit needs to be raised.

The formula for setting the points limit is straight-forward.

Decide the number of competing teams, and multiply by 7.

Draw up a list of this number of riders who want to race here at economically viable terms.

Add together all these riders' averages and divide by the number of teams.

This gives the best average to ensure all teams start approximately equal with an even share of the riders available.

It doesn't matter what this figure is. It is the best figure to give a chance of equal competitive racing. And competitive racing is what is most important

So you agree that any points limit below 42 is a decrease in the strength of a league on the the previous season?

So you agree that any points limit below 42 is a decrease in the strength of a league on the the previous season?

If the exact number of teams, and the exact same riders that finished the previous season, were starting the new season, and none were on assessed averages, then the points limit would/should remain at 42.

This perfect scenario never happens though.

However I have shown that your assertion that the points limit has been reduced every year for the past 5 years was complete nonsense. (in fact quite the opposite). And I have also shown that the points limit has no direct correlation to crowd levels (again as you wrongly said).

What is crucial, is getting the correct points limit figure for a season, to ensure roughly equal and competitive teams, and competitive racing.

In any particular season, the correct figure may be the same, greater than, or less than the previous season.

Edited by John Leslie

In all motor sport there is none other with a more level playing field equipment wise than a speedway bike you have a choice of 2 engines,2 exhaust makes, no gear boxes to worry about a choice of 3 carbs and they all race on the same fuel. The only bit that controls the changes to the bikes is the gear sprocket on the rear wheel that they alter to suit each track or track conditions and the cluch which eavery rider has his own personal settings.

So it dose not make a great big choice as say in motor GP with a choice of bikes frames engines team manifacturers etc. The choices to a speedway rider are very limited, the top lads probably have far better mechanics than lads at national level but the bikes are still the same. The other facter is that the top lads can have a choice of 4 or 4 bikes on a race night so that puts the poor humble lower league lads a bit of an unfair advantage. Plus they don't yet have that experance, skill and speeed that the likes of Tai etc have.

All in all their machines should be or should almost be identical.

Do what they did in Reanault sports car racing devolop a bike that is identical, do not allow any mods other than the rear sprocket and give them all one bike a piece ( I mean they have one identical bike apiece with no engine mods allowed).

It is then just up to the skill of the riders and not an unfair advantage of superior machines it is the rider alone that wins the race.

If people want to see the worlds top riders ovewr here then do something along the lines of premier football clubs. X amount of clubs with just the worlds to riders if that is what people wish to see.

I would rather see so good team speedway raced by even matched teams that gave first class racing. That what you are seeing now with a couple of top riders making a mad dash to the front and then a long strung out proccesion of rider that far behind that the next race is due to start before the last man finishes.

Speedway needs to have a complete rethink or all will be lost in a feqw years I am afraid

I beg to differ the bikes are not all the same, they may look the same, but the quality of some of the parts differ from cheap, to expensive to very expensive. Also the big boys can afford to have their engines stripped down and tuned more often then the low scoring guys.

Rossiter just tweated that all hell is breaking out at the agm - more self interest I bet!

Or most likely a wind up.

An absolutely admirable aim. Unfortunately not all fans want the same thing. Just reading through this thread we have people who won't go if they can't see the stars of the sport cos they think that watching riders of a lower but equal standard doesn't make for good racing. No I don't understand that either. We then have others who say we can do without the big names cos they're too expensive. Someone thinks that Speedway is only worth a tenner, but without massive sponsorship, you really could only afford the National League riders at that cost. So while we all complain that the promoters can never agree on anything, neither can most of the fans. As I've said before there is no easy solution and whatever the promoters come up some fans won't like it. So do those fans say " Well I don't like it but I'll carry on going for the good of the sport" or do they go into a sulk and say " I'm not going anymore cos they didn't do what I wanted them to"? The choice of whether you carry on watching speedway is your's and your's alone. If YOU don't go because you don't like some of the decisions they make, remember there will be someone else who thinks "Thats a good decision. I'll carry on going"

As someone sort of said "You can please some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time, but you'll never please all of the people all of the time".

I agree you can't please all of the people all of the time, but the majority don't want the double tactical, they don't want a successful team split up every year due to the low points limit and they don't want to watch their team containing mostly guests from other teams and R/R.

• Like 2

Or most likely a wind up.

We'll find out in a couple of days or so - when the dust has settled. :blink:

Taken from speedwaygb.co

BRITISH SPEEDWAY AGM STATEMENT

BRITISH Speedway Chairman Alex Harkess has revealed how negotiations are ongoing to secure a new broadcast deal for the sport for the 2014 season and beyond.

And Harkess, who remains at the helm for a fifth successive season, says there is an air of optimism that these talks will prove successful in the not too distant future.

The Edinburgh promoter was speaking immediately after the conclusion of the AGM in Coventry, where key decisions were reached regarding the immediate future of the sport in the UK.

Harkess said: “Our ongoing discussions are proving very positive and I am confident we will bring this to a satisfactory conclusion. I am looking forward to sharing an announcement with our partners in due course.

“There has been an atmosphere of reality which has led to changes in team structure and league membership. I am saddened to acknowledge that Peterborough have resigned their position in the top league and that their owners have chosen to leave the sport.

“All is not lost as there is an opportunity for new owners to consider purchasing Peterborough, and we have left the door ajar for the club to participate in British Speedway.

“Peterborough’s place will be taken by Leicester, which retains the top league at ten clubs, and the Premier League will be at twelve.”

The senior league’s teams will work to a 32-point limit for their top five riders, with two places being occupied by riders from the National League.

This is a major shot in the arm for our young British riders and will fast-track their development, which will in turn encourage more youngsters to enter the sport.

Harkess added: “Of course, our current World Champion, Tai Woffinden, has reached the very top from his start in the National League.

“It was an absolute privilege and pleasure to welcome Tai to our conference as guest of honour to receive congratulations and a standing ovation from our members who are extremely proud of his achievements.”

The following key points will give supporters a flavour of the discussions with more detail to be revealed in due course:

Management Committee:

Unchanged from 2013: Alex Harkess (Chairman), Jon Cook (Vice-Chairman), Chris Van Straaten, David Hoggart, George English.
Elite League reserve member: Keith Chapman
Premier League reserve member: Rob Godfrey

Elite League:
10 teams: Belle Vue, Birmingham, Coventry, Eastbourne, King’s Lynn, Lakeside, Leicester, Poole, Swindon, Wolverhampton.
Points limit 32 (top five riders); National League riders at No.6 and No.7
Teams meet each other twice home and away - minimum 18 home fixtures, 36 in league programme.
Play-offs as before (for top four teams).

Premier League:
12 Teams: Berwick, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Ipswich, Newcastle, Plymouth, Redcar, Rye House, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Somerset, Workington.
Points limit 42.50
Extended regular league programme giving 14 home and 14 away fixtures.
Play-offs as before (for top six teams).
League Cup: Three groups of four teams
KO Cup retained as before

Shared Events: The format of these meetings remains as in 2013, and dates and venues will be confirmed at a later date.

Team GB: The resignation of Great Britain manager Neil Middleditch was accepted, and the BSPA wishes to place on record its appreciation for Neil’s efforts during his two spells in charge. Applications for the position will be considered in January.

So team limits 38 points if you take 3pt for each reserve.

Now a scramble for the best NL riders.

Nothing about Double Points - do they NEVER listen?

Oh Dear!!!!

NL riders in the EL?

Seriously?

When I first read it, I assumed it was a typo and they meant NL riders in the reserve spots in the PL.

That would actually make sense!

• Like 3

NL riders in the EL?

Seriously?

When I first read it, I assumed it was a typo and they meant NL riders in the reserve spots in the PL.

That would actually make sense!

NL riders in the Elite! If that's the case they will have to have a new rule about riders being lapped.

• Like 2