British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Pointless having the AGM before we know where we are with Sky. Teams can be sorted once the BSPA know whether sky or another TV company are onboard or not.

Certainly foolhardy to go ahead and deal with team building plans etc before the finances are known.

At the Poole celebration night last night is was reported that Matt ford was more confident the sport would be shown on TV next year, though whether it's Sky or BT who knows? He did say whatever the league structure, Poole would build the strongest possible team under the rules of the league.

I would have thought the exact opposite would be more sensible.

Bring in a structure that the sport can afford and that would be attractive to the fans who attend meetings and then if you can sell what you have it's a bonus.

The alternative is to wait for a TV deal and if it happens spend every penny it pays on trying to survive rather than to help with the long term future. If it doesn't happen it will be too late to make dramatic changes and you will have lost riders and fans who won't or cant wait around until just before the season to arrange their own lives.

The biscuit crisis is dependent on the TV deal. A tentative offer has been made on a bulk order of chocolate digestives but if no TV deal is finalised by January they will be left on the shelf and plain digestives substituted. At the current meeting chocolate cake has been purchased in order to show Sky how confident they are.

Edited by Vince
  • Like 1

I don't see why we need to wait for any Sky negotiations at all.

Sort the leagues out so they can all run within their budgets WITHOUT tv money. If Sky, or another company subsequently come on board then that is a bonus and that money should be used towards the future of the sport.

Although I agree whole heartedly with your post the fact remains there is little point in agreeing stuff that a broadcaster may want to change anyway. I would say that is where the problem lies. At the end of the day the broadcaster calls the shots and Russell will be desperate for a deal as he makes a packet

Edited by TMW

Just seen the post on Pooles website from the AGM nothing has really happened and nothing has really changed. No mention was made on TV covearge but it has still got a few days to go. Just the same old people and the same old rubish we hear every year

It doesnt start till tomorrow I think?

Matt Ford did say whatever the league structure, Poole would build the strongest possible team under the rules of the league.

Now that must be the first radical change for years ie Poole abiding by the rules!!

And before anyone bites, it's only a light hearted jibe to warm up the dark nights before the life changing AGM.

I don't see why we need to wait for any Sky negotiations at all.

Sort the leagues out so they can all run within their budgets WITHOUT tv money. If Sky, or another company subsequently come on board then that is a bonus and that money should be used towards the future of the sport.

Absolutely. With a caveat to ensure ALL clubs in ALL leagues get an equal share of any TV revenue which might accrue, after investment in grass-roots.

• Like 2

Absolutely. With a caveat to ensure ALL clubs in ALL leagues get an equal share of any TV revenue which might accrue, after investment in grass-roots.

GREAT idea. :t::approve:

NO chance though. :sad::sad:

We all know that it's going to be the best, greatest and most successful AGM ever. Like it is every season.

what a load of tosh why should a premier club get as much as a elite club out the t.v pot ,

that's like saying a championship football club should get as much as premier league football club

• Like 2

Pointless having the AGM before we know where we are with Sky. Teams can be sorted once the BSPA know whether sky or another TV company are onboard or not.

Certainly foolhardy to go ahead and deal with team building plans etc before the finances are known.

At the Poole celebration night last night is was reported that Matt ford was more confident the sport would be shown on TV next year, though whether it's Sky or BT who knows? He did say whatever the league structure, Poole would build the strongest possible team under the rules of the league.

Simple assume they get nothing and anything extra is a bonus. Its the only way!

• Like 1

what a load of tosh why should a premier club get as much as a elite club

Because some teams have bigger tracks so will need to use more yellow paint
  • Like 7

If the points average is decreased for Elite League clubs then I will not be a paying customer in 2014.

I think it's important that anybody else who feels the same should speak up now. It is not a case of not supporting speedway, it's a case of being a consumer who expects the highest standards for their buck. Anybody with a real passion for the sport wants to see the best of the best, not a selection of inferior riders who will leave our shores as soon as they start to reach the standard we expect to see!

Matt is quoted as saying "I have been told that one or two people have effectively decided they are not coming to Poole Speedway next season because certain changes are afoot." I think "one or two" is grossly inaccurate.

Edited by Synikalle

If the points average is decreased for Elite League clubs then I will not be a paying customer in 2014.

I think it's important that anybody else who feels the same should speak up now. It is not a case of not supporting speedway, it's a case of being a consumer who expects the highest standards for their buck. Anybody with a real passion for the sport wants to see the best of the best, not a selection of inferior riders who will leave our shores as soon as they start to reach the standard we expect to see!

In an ideal world we all want that but if things carry on as they are just watch track after track close and then we have no speedway at all !

• Like 4

this is ridiculous.. let each track do what they want. if some don't want yellow paint why should they be forced to use it? if a track has some purple left over then why not let them use that.? the starting marshal can surely point it out before the start of each riders 1st race can't he? Whilst he's at it he can also point out the crowd changes for that day and remind the riders what time their plane leaves. ...We have to stop burdening tracks with unnecessary expense wherever possible.

• Like 2

In an ideal world we all want that but if things carry on as they are just watch track after track close and then we have no speedway at all !

We need to address the real issues. The corruption at the top spearheaded by Terry and Ronnie Russell, the god awful marketing campaigns, the complete ignorance surrounding the vast marketing power of the internet and the embarrasment of promoter squabbles coming out in public.

If we keep ignoring these issues while diluting the product further and futher people will simply stop attending! Eventually orange squash will simpy become water if you keep diluting it.

The product is not broken, it needs a completely fresh approach to GROWTH, not RETENTION!

Edited by Synikalle
  • Like 1

We need to address the real issues. The corruption at the top spearheaded by Terry and Ronnie Russell, the god awful marketing campaigns, the complete ignorance surrounding the vast marketing power of the internet and the embarrasment of promoter squabbles coming out in public.

If we keep ignoring these issues while diluting the product further and futher people will simply stop attending! Eventually orange squash will simpy become water if you keep diluting it.

The product is not broken, it needs a completely fresh approach to GROWTH, not RETENTION!

the biggest issue costs have spiralled out of control ,the simple fact is british speedway cant afford what it offers , it's time it went back to basics and started again at a lower costs ,its not just the elite either the premier is just as bad finance wise

• Like 3