British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Neither can I. Some people appear to be implying that what it will be, is that the two reserves in each EL team have to be NL riders and will only have two programmed rides and these are against each other (ie heat 2 times two..).

Is this correct..? Or have I totally misunderstood..?!

So effectively 5 man teams.

i know we're all dumbstruck but at least 1. NL riders surely can only benefit with more rides can't they?, it can't be right that we have foreigners at reserve... and 2. it's better than doing nothing.

I wonder if this reduction of quality will see a reduction in admission prices?

thats the key i think, i've said for ages paying more than £1 per heat is too much

2brits at reserve! How many years have people been calling for a system that gives the young brits a look in?Now it looks like being implemented , the majority of comments are negative!FFsake wind your necks in and lets give this proposal some SUPPORT.Something needed to be done, and a step has been taken in the right direction. Lets give our home grown talent a chance.They will be part of a team with much more experienced riders they can learn from, they will have a couple of reserve rides each meeting PLUS the opportunity to mix it with the big boys, confidence will come with racing against reserves and that will hopefully be carried across to any extra rides they may get. Sure, it may be too much of a step for some but not for others but no one will know until the idea is tried out.Roll on 2014

• Like 6

In answer to "castrolargh", yes we want incresed chances for Brits at reserve but the justifiable negativity this evening is because this is going to mean offering too many chances to Brits who've already shown they can barely cut it in the Premier League !!

I've no reason to doubt how Phil The Ace has arrived at his 10 A-graders and 10 B-graders but doesn't that prove how daft this system's going to be.

At least half those B-graders have never yet looked like hanging on to a Premier League reserve berth for any length of time ... now we're expecting them to put on some sort of show in the Elite League and develop their careers without having their confidence obliterated by trying to compete at a level way beyond their current ability (and in plenty of cases, way beyond the level they can ever hope to reach during their career).

As I mentioned earlier, allowing for injuries you really need a pool of about 26 graded riders unless you let just those top 20 have umpteen guest bookings ... I dread to think who would be Phil The Ace's standby riders given some of the names he had to dredge up for that B-list.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 3

2brits at reserve! How many years have people been calling for a system that gives the young brits a look in?Now it looks like being implemented , the majority of comments are negative!FFsake wind your necks in and lets give this proposal some SUPPORT.Something needed to be done, and a step has been taken in the right direction. Lets give our home grown talent a chance.They will be part of a team with much more experienced riders they can learn from, they will have a couple of reserve rides each meeting PLUS the opportunity to mix it with the big boys, confidence will come with racing against reserves and that will hopefully be carried across to any extra rides they may get. Sure, it may be too much of a step for some but not for others but no one will know until the idea is tried out.Roll on 2014

I remember something similar circa late 1950s early 1960s when teams instead ox sid team and two reserves became 10 a side - six team men and four reserves with, I am fairly certain, the reserves only racing against each other. It started to go wrong when some of the reserves riders were not always available - something like that anyway. The formula was dropped - if I am right - after just one season? It could be we are in for a similar scenario?

So most things stay the same, good for the premier league,

The elite league have crapped themselves over the t.v money, still keep a strong top 5 and pay the reserves peanuts.

Can't see many grand prix riders in the league next season.

I wonder if this reduction of quality will see a reduction in admission prices?

HAHAHAHAHA Thats a good un Mikey......think we know the answer to that one. :rofl:

Hmm... does this mean that the EL teams are now 5 riders, and each meeting the punters will be forced to watch NL "filler heats"?

Hope the price will be dropped to reflect this :P

I've no reason to doubt how Phil The Ace has arrived at his 10 A-graders and 10 B-graders but doesn't that prove how daft this system's going to be.

At least half those B-graders have never yet looked like hanging on to a Premier League reserve berth for any length of time ... now we're expecting them to put on some sort of show in the Elite League and develop their careers without having their confidence obliterated by trying to compete at a level way beyond their current ability (and in plenty of cases, way beyond the level they can ever hope to reach during their career).

As I mentioned earlier, allowing for injuries you really need a pool of about 26 graded riders unless you let just those top 20 have umpteen guest bookings ... I dread to think who would be Phil The Ace's standby riders given some of the names he had to dredge up for that B-list.

Just going of last year averages mate

I could be totally wrong with the list if riders though

The NL riders at reserve is totally clueless. Surely the correct route is NL to PL to EL? If they are good enough then fine, but that rule needs changing to two Under-23 British Riders (regardless of league).

• Like 9

I think it will do gates in the Premier League no end of good.

I hope you are right. :t:

They will be allocated?

It gets better!

I see nothing wrong with that at all!

That should suit Poole then. :sad:

Well A/F they are going to lose me, I have had enough,with a heavy heart its goodbye speedway. after 50 + years

I seem to be being pushed out of the door too - after forty years. :sad:

So what actually constitutes a national league rider? Is it going to be a premier league rider with a average under X amount (who is eligible) and under a certain age? Hope they change the national league eligibility just so the elite league isnt going to be a joke.

But surely that is just it. The Elite League IS a joke. :sad:

Totally gutted for Peterborough Supporters. Been there - done that - forty years ago at Sunderland. :sad:

This AGM is yet another nail in my Speedway coffin. :sad:

Looks like im one of not many that thinks it could be a brilliant idea. Id hope the allocation will be a least based on assets to start with? Didnt we have a similar system years ago when speedway was supposedly great that reserves only raced each other? It could work just need to see the finer details

• Like 2

Reading the comments on here, I expect the next figures they'll be using at BSPA HQ will be ones on the tape measure, sizing up the coffin in preparation for British Speedway's impending death.

As for giving young Brits chance to race each other in efforts to progress - that is commendable. – but I expect favoured in NL circles and not the EL… unless admission prices are reduced accordingly.

Dring, dring… is that SKY, at this anti-social hour… just desperate to sign the EL to another 5-year deal? Hold on though, it could be BT Sport…

Edited by moxey63

Look at the experience Jake Knight had at Sheffield last season ... now he's lost to the sport !

Two National League Riders at reserve in the "Top League". Why not adjust the programme so that these Riders only have programmed riders against other NL riders or opposition second strings? Throwing them in against the Heat Leaders will destroy there confidence, deny the Public of competitive racing and provide the Top riders easy pickings - only let them take these rides to cover Exclusions etc.

• Like 1