British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

I'll give you your Screen, Stoney and Wilson. You can also add in Paul Fry, Ray Morton and Andy Phillips who all went on to have decent careers.

Fry and Phillips also learned much on grasstrack... but it isn't the point. Few names can be provided for so many seasons of junior league racing. Without the junior league I suspect these riders would have still came through. Many riders became professional juniors and settled for being after-interval stars, thinking it was job done... then spending the early hours Hollywooding it in the bar.

If posts reflect on a few names that the Junior League supposedly produced over 10 or so years, how many riders did the old second-halfs bring on?

Edited by moxey63

Double Uppers??

My guess is that they should be reduced as taking out 2 riders of Elite standard

Means there will be more riders available.

However the points limit will determine the middle order riders and I can see a few not coming into the UK

next year

Cheers mate, so not straight forward then,.

Edited by Starman2006

First of all commiserations to Panthers fans. Looks like Frost was too shy to tell his fans personally. A real shame and hope someone comes forward to give their fans a team in 2014.

Many on here have been crowing for Brits to be in the team at reserve. The BSPA have obliged.

The result? Moan, moan. bloody moan. People on here were saying no more rubbish foreign 3 and 4 point journeyman taking up places where Brits could be used. The BSPA obliged. Moan, moan, bloody moan.

Sure Ward V a NL rider would be a foregone but by the sound of it that isn't going to happen. IN three or four years time we might just start to see the budding flower from the seeds sewn in 2014. Teething problems? There's bound to be some but we now have an extra 20 Brits coming into the EL and gaining real experience.

Any team can keep their top men as well. Lets be more positive on here.

Be positive about this news. No foreign journeymen taking up Brits places. Brits have got these places!

• Like 6

Double Uppers??

None hopefully, 20 riders forced out of the EL do we really need double uppers, why not just put all the riders names in a hat and draw out a team for the following weeks fixtures!

The other thing people haven't mentioned is that there will be 20 riders in the National League riding Elite League standard machinery.

Won't this massively increase the cost of riding in the NL as all riders will need better equipment in order to stay competitive?

• Like 4

There is a heck of a difference between the best twenty young British riders, whether under-23 or under-21 or any other arbitrary figure, and the top twenty National League riders, for what are pretty obvious reasons unless the Premier League has mysteriously ceased to exist.

Yes, it's great to give protected team places to young British riders but only if it is the best that are included. Using the best is a talent-developing strategy, just using 20 NL riders is suspiciously close to just employing riders on the cheap and passing it off as some grand strategy.

Funny how the BSPA wake up to promoting British talent once the financial drip-feed is under threat.

If this was a properly though-out scheme to promote young British talent I'd support it completely. I really don't think it is.

The comparison is made with Poland and Sweden. I would suggest that the riders involved in those countries are at a rather later stage of development than the NL.

The progression of course should be NL-PL-EL. The fundamental failure of this scheme is the suspicion that that vital middle step is being omitted.

I hope it works but really can't see how it's more than exploitation rather giving opportunities - as it has been every time I've seen it tried before. What we have here is instead of stripping cost out of the EL consistently through the riding order we're probably seeing second strings replaced by NL riders.

On a different note we are told that a new TV deal is imminent - it would be interesting to see how much money is on the table....

Edited by rmc
  • Like 3

First of all commiserations to Panthers fans. Looks like Frost was too shy to tell his fans personally. A real shame and hope someone comes forward to give their fans a team in 2014.

Many on here have been crowing for Brits to be in the team at reserve. The BSPA have obliged.

The result? Moan, moan. bloody moan. People on here were saying no more rubbish foreign 3 and 4 point journeyman taking up places where Brits could be used. The BSPA obliged. Moan, moan, bloody moan.

Sure Ward V a NL rider would be a foregone but by the sound of it that isn't going to happen. IN three or four years time we might just start to see the budding flower from the seeds sewn in 2014. Teething problems? There's bound to be some but we now have an extra 20 Brits coming into the EL and gaining real experience.

Any team can keep their top men as well. Lets be more positive on here.

Be positive about this news. No foreign journeymen taking up Brits places. Brits have got these places!

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/speedway/speedway-news/financial-concerns-lead-to-the-closure-of-panthers-1-5687960

The devil is definitely in the detail here. If it is two genuine NL riders then it would be a farce. If it is two Brits aged 21 or under then it could be great. Having these guys potentially ride in all 3 leagues could be great. Can't be hard to have a formula that sees them riding each other twice and taking on the second strings the other two races. A similar rule in the PL would mean these youngsters getting some great experience.

Could be some fallout for the NL though. A rider riding EL and PL is probably going to want a lot more than what is currently on offer to ride in the NL as well.

Edited by AlanF
  • Like 1

Someone has just put on Twitter, that the NL reserves will be graded A & B and those will be allocated to the teams by the Management Committee.

I've not read all the way through yet, A couple of observations 1/ which riders in the N/L would want to ride in the E/L? 24 and more WHEN the injuries occur. 2/ Surely their costs are going to increase in order to ride, even against fellow N/L riders. Most, if not all, N/L riders are employed, therefore not able to commit to E/L as well as N/L. All this and all tracks to have air fences! Ludicrous action as far as I can see. I'd love to know out of all the promoters, who was in agreement with these new rules.

MY understanding is that the heats involving NL riders will be "protected" which presumably means they will only race against each other...

Is that how Sweden do it ?

Think we gotta let them release a full statement before getting to over excited at seeing a national league rider go should to shoulder with Holder and Ward etc.... Hopefully its along the lines of those who have been in recent British U21 finals or Under 25, British and not yet gone Elite on a permanent occasion. May just give some riders who arent upto a consistant premier league level a new lease of live to gain the confidence again.

Exactly HOW will that bring them on in their Speedway Career Development - Simple answer is - IT WON'T.

The National League Riders, if forced to move up at all, should be racing in the Premier League. That would make some sort of sense. As it is - Elite League Supporters are going to have to put up with their Teams being degraded (again), pay the same or more Entrance money and the National League Riders will get no chance to prove themselves against better Riders and will be absolutely murdered if they do. How this is going to help with improving a Riders ability by riding against better Riders, he can't. Perhaps in the Premier League this sort of idea might have worked - but - NOT in the Elite League.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But the fact is the Premier League (while being a pretty good product in itself) hasn't done nearly enough to bring on new British talent. There are far too many third-rate foreigners earning easy money in the league and British riders seem to reach a certain level and sink into a comfort zone. Sure, Woffinden came through the PL, but where are the other British riders (Bomber excepted) capable of challenging for a GP place? Progress for British riders is painfully slow compared to the Scandinavian countries, Kyle Howarth, Ashley Birks and others are good lads, but shouldn't they be regularly winning EL races by now?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the PL, but in reality it's a stand-alone, semi-pro league that hasn't been about rider development for many years.

Putting two and two together (and probably making five) I suspect the EL promoters are deliberately easing the PL to one side with the aim of using the NL as a direct source of home-grown and (hopefully) cheaper talent.

Without knowing what the heat formula will be and exactly how riders will be allocated it's hard to predict how this will turn out, but if it does bring on young British riders and maybe reduce the need for guest reserves then I can't see the problem.

And, of course, Terry Russell can now go to Sky and tell them an agreement has been reached which will keep Tai, Darcy, Chris, Niels and so on, in British racing, while the brightest British talent will be fast-tracked into the league - TV loves that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

I hope all the british riders get an elite league chance not just NL but where is the reduction in admission to entice the most important people (the supporters) back to the sport. This imo was the first important step the sport has to make to getting the missing thousands back .Sadly it hasnt happened and i cant see the sport recovering any time soon

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Is that how Sweden do it ?

They get two reserve races but in others are up against heat leaders.