British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

your entitled to your opinion but surely he knows that British Speedway needs riders signed up for next season before they commit themselves to other Countries and were are left with the dregs.He should have been negotiating with Sky long before now regarding their intentions instead of being fobbed off with the excuse that contract doesn't end until the end of the year.They need to take lessons from other Sports. A lot of people seem to obsessed about TV MONEY but in reality it should just be a bonus for the Sport if the sport was run properly.

TERRY Russell cannot set the agenda for negotiations with Sky... they do. Trust me, he has been knocking on the door for months but nobody was answering until very recently.

I'd still like clubs to allow the away team a chance to get out on track before a meeting, giving those riders a chance to get set up, for the start of the meeting anyway!

The promoters are the only ones who know how much they can afford to pay the riders and what their demands are so it's a waste of time imo suggesting the strength of teams we want . .

I'd also like to add flying laps to the evenings entertainment and yes I like the idea of perhaps 3 6 lap races, reserves, 2nd strings and top scorers?

I'd also like to add flying laps to the evenings entertainment

Not quite sure if you just mean a flying lap for a rider or a heat with 4 riders all doing the flying lap? I have seen flying laps here in Germany.In fact i think Phil Morris was one who competed at Stralsund.Just a big bore if it is the old style 1 rider 1 lap.Couldn't understand the point of it all.How can you tell the difference between one lap and another when there are split seconds between each....

On the other hand the old style flying start to a heat was scrapped because it was relatively chaotic and had to be so often restarted as one rider was ahead......and we don't want that sort of stuff as we have nough delays as it is

• Like 1

I've heard already today, that one huge change is the white line/kerb will no longer be white... as of the start of the 2014 season they all must be painted yellow, proper yellow, not lemon, amber, proper road markings yellow. Any team failing to comply will be fined and docked 11 league points per offence.. (has to be re coated prior the the start of every meeting.

Terry Russell says if the kerb isn't painted ORANGE he's taking his bat home.

Edited by pugwash

TERRY Russell cannot set the agenda for negotiations with Sky... they do. Trust me, he has been knocking on the door for months but nobody was answering until very recently.

Is he the man for the job then ,should be looking elsewhere for the benefit of the Sport .Imo Live TV coverage in itself is not concern they are only thinking of the large sum of Sky money he can pocket for himself .

How about "from standing" starts..... 4 riders on kerb with bikes, mechanics behind them... start Marshall starts race with a gun, and off they go!!

Tapes exclusions - gone

Gardening dealys - gone

Less stress on clutch - cheaper for riders

No holding revs on at tapes - cheaper for riders

So; you've got rid of delays

Made it cheaper for riders

Job done!!!

I'd still like clubs to allow the away team a chance to get out on track before a meeting, giving those riders a chance to get set up, for the start of the meeting anyway!

I've always advocated this. Totally agree with you Trees.

I see on Edinburgh's Website that the BSPA chairman has pre meeting stated categorically that they will not be any merger between the Elite and any other league. Somewhat dictatorial isn't it?

Pointless having the AGM before we know where we are with Sky. Teams can be sorted once the BSPA know whether sky or another TV company are onboard or not.

You lot have it back to front. This is our sport, lets set British Speedway up for the future, and if Sky want a piece of that come January, then they are welcome to.

We MUST NOT run our sport based on what Sky want.

• Like 5

your entitled to your opinion but surely he knows that British Speedway needs riders signed up for next season before they commit themselves to other Countries and were are left with the dregs.He should have been negotiating with Sky long before now regarding their intentions instead of being fobbed off with the excuse that contract doesn't end until the end of the year.They need to take lessons from other Sports. A lot of people seem to obsessed about TV MONEY but in reality it should just be a bonus for the Sport if the sport was run properly.

Can you name a successful weekly professional sport that operates without a TV deal ?

How about "from standing" starts..... 4 riders on kerb with bikes, mechanics behind them... start Marshall starts race with a gun, and off they go!!

Tapes exclusions - gone

Gardening dealys - gone

Less stress on clutch - cheaper for riders

No holding revs on at tapes - cheaper for riders

So; you've got rid of delays

Made it cheaper for riders

Job done!!!

How about going back to concrete starts,that will take away any advantage in the gates,and take away any delays in gardening.

• Like 2

The BSPA have decided that they are trying to sell a product, the product is called speedway. They have to sell the product to their customers (there called Fans). Having consulted many large successful businesses for advice, they have decided to package their product on what their customers (Fans) actually want. What our customers want, said a BSPA spokesperson, can easily be found from various web sites and the trade magazine Speedway Star. The spokesman said "I know this is a "Thinking Out Of The Box", idea, but if we give the customers what they are asking for, we have a good chance of more of them actually paying to buy the product.

Problem is you can ask 10 different customers what they want and you get 10 different answers ! For all the people who are slagging the promoters off how are they supposed to satisfy the needs of all the posters on this forum,impossible
  • Like 1

Not quite sure if you just mean a flying lap for a rider or a heat with 4 riders all doing the flying lap? I have seen flying laps here in Germany.In fact i think Phil Morris was one who competed at Stralsund.Just a big bore if it is the old style 1 rider 1 lap.Couldn't understand the point of it all.How can you tell the difference between one lap and another when there are split seconds between each....

On the other hand the old style flying start to a heat was scrapped because it was relatively chaotic and had to be so often restarted as one rider was ahead......and we don't want that sort of stuff as we have nough delays as it is

I meant one rider one lap, a season long comp perhaps sponsored by whoever, perhaps a comp where the winning pot could grow over the season with sponsors adding to it over a season :-)

Can you name a successful weekly professional sport that operates without a TV deal ?

Speedway use to, then Sky came along and British Speedway has slowly declined further and further ever since.

In fact, since the introduction of Sky I'd go as far as that's when promoters stopped promoting and became reliant on false financing rather than concentrating on their main financial sponsor of all. The supporters

• Like 5

Wrong. Every year the riders get fixed up in Poland first, Sweden second and UK third because that's where the money is and that's where the sponsorship is, and if you doubled the UK points it would still be the same because the money abroad d is so much better.

Wrong. Every year the riders get fixed up in Poland first, Sweden second and UK third because that's where the money is and that's where the sponsorship is, and if you doubled the UK points it would still be the same because the money abroad d is so much better.

More money with less meetings,have a look and see what ex-World Champ Chris Holder says on the subject,put it this if hes asked to ride more meetings in the UK for less money then Poole wont be seeing him in their colours.He will ride in Denmark or Czech as an alternative.