British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Richie Worrall tweeted that he is excited by the prospect of the new rule, reckons he has done all his learning in the EL . . . but what does he know?

I would be happy as well if I was him ... with a couple of races against NL riders per meeting !

• Like 2

Also IMO if a youngster is good enough and has the cash to make his machines competative he will rise through the ranks like has always been the case , fast tracking to the Elite and ringfencing thier races will only impede any progress ... not speed it up IMO.

Bottom line is,none of the youngsters will be forced into this.It is a decision they have to make for themselves.They should still have the PL and or the NL safety net.Most if not all the riders in line to be picked should already have decent equipment.From what i have seen most seem to be equiped with much better equipment than they really need.Just last winter i was surprised to see a foreign PL rider selling off 2 or 3 GPlevel!!!! bikes and two!!! vans.....As we know from experience,if the young Brits don't take these spots then you can be sure there will be plenty of foreign riders who will be more than willing.Now,who would we rather see get the chance?

• Like 1

As you know, it has nothing do with anything like that, but nice try. Neil has always wintered in OZ, and it was well known that when the time came he would move over there. Surprised it has taken him so long to take the decision. Best of luck to Neil. :P

think you need to yalk to him before you decide the reason he wants to sell up, and he is not emigrating to Australia this winter, he has already said he would help the new promoter if he wants help

If the Premier league is such a good product why not have just one big league (increasing the amount of fixtures)and ditch the real people that are raping the sport of its cash the top riders ?

People like just to pick one at random Kenny Bjjere must have been "earning" the entire gate money alone at Peterboro and I think after a few years the top riders would lower thier cash demands and come back on lower terms , I know quite a few speedway riders and apart from the top 5% no one is earning any cash out of Speedway and for the risks they run I am amazed any of them do it and we have a sport to watch !

For a sport that is based on averages for team building it is amazing how many times the richest win !

Also IMO if a youngster is good enough and has the cash to make his machines competative he will rise through the ranks like has always been the case , fast tracking to the Elite and ringfencing thier races will only impede any progress ... not speed it up IMO.

You may need a Doctors appointment on the back of this Oilyrag; I actually agree with you!

• Like 1

Bottom line is,none of the youngsters will be forced into this.It is a decision they have to make for themselves.They should still have the PL and or the NL safety net.Most if not all the riders in line to be picked should already have decent equipment.From what i have seen most seem to be equiped with much better equipment than they really need.Just last winter i was surprised to see a foreign PL rider selling off 2 or 3 GPlevel!!!! bikes and two!!! vans.....As we know from experience,if the young Brits don't take these spots then you can be sure there will be plenty of foreign riders who will be more than willing.Now,who would we rather see get the chance?

The brit everytime ... but on merit , not just because he's cheap !

think you need to yalk to him before you decide the reason he wants to sell up, and he is not emigrating to Australia this winter, he has already said he would help the new promoter if he wants help

Neil wants to sell because he's losing money every week , Sheffield has been "for sale" for about 5 years now !

Edited by OILYRAG

Trouble is i doubt anyone would say costs didn't need to be cut.If they got rid of all the best riders then people would be saying "I'm not going to watch that rubbish" If they upped prices people would say "I'm not paying that much to watch that rubbish".Not sure what alternative they really have apart from just forgetting no 6 + 7 and following the Danish style and just having 5 rider teams.Maybe 6 rider with one youngster?Of course it is cutting costs,but the hope is that it will build a decent group of homegrown youngsters and that would surely benefit the sport in the long run

I don't see the idea as a negative step,just hope it doesn't end up in a farcical meltdown and they have to change the rule

Cook, being vice chairman of the BSPA is hardly going to come out and say this idea is rubbish and we are using young lads to save British speedway is he..... And if this is working well in Sweden, who are the up and coming superstars that have benefited and developed like we are led to believe?? Rosen, Engman, thorsell??

Reading the article in the EDP, Rob Lyons added another description of the riders, able to facilitate the reserve berths in the team, as those riders being able to ride in the National League. This could eliminate some names, already mentioned.

So that must be at least 4 different definitions of a NL rider.

I see Poole are aiming for Kyle Newman who last rode NL in 2011 with PL/EL since then. Perhaps because they are having trouble fitting in Holder and Ward into the main team, Ward will be the other NL rider having riden for Boston in 2008!!

• Like 2

Richie Worrall tweeted that he is excited by the prospect of the new rule, reckons he has done all his learning in the EL . . . but what does he know?

I'm not surprised he's happy, I would be equally happy if I was gifted a promotion that I had not earned. No offence intended whatsoever but Richie Worrall isn't exactly my idea of "elite".

Edited by Synikalle

I would be happy as well if I was him ... with a couple of races against NL riders per meeting !

He won't be a reserve rider will he, too good!

Is no-one paying any attention!

The 6 & 7 will have TWO programmed rides only; both against the opposing team's 6 & 7...

How is that so many can't grasp this..?!

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly
  • Like 2

Is no-one paying any attention!

The 6 & 7 will have TWO programmed rides only; both against the opposing team's 6 & 7...

How is that so many can't grasp this..?!

What happens when a rider gets injured and rider replacement is required? Will these 13 heats be shared amongst the 1-5? How would this work fairly? Surely that would mean that if a rider 5th in the averages becomes injured and a guest is not available only the rider in 4th be able take his place? This would mean that rider would have to take up to 10 rides in a night? The only way we could have a rider in all races is if all the riders took an extra ride for him but that is just opening the door for abuse! The rider at the bottom of the 1-5 is having a bad month and he's not on the pace at all so he is pulled out sick or with an injury allowing the number 1 and 3 to take rides for him?

£10 says this is the first rule Matt Ford is accused of manipulating next season.

Edited by Synikalle

"The 6 & 7 will have TWO programmed rides only; both against the opposing team's 6 & 7..." is incorrect.

"The Elite League race format will be altered to hand these riders two races against their opposing reserves instead of one, and easier outings against rival second strings" was what Jon Cook said.

Is no-one paying any attention?

• Like 2

"The 6 & 7 will have TWO programmed rides only; both against the opposing team's 6 & 7..." is incorrect.

"The Elite League race format will be altered to hand these riders two races against their opposing reserves instead of one, and easier outings against rival second strings" was what Jon Cook said.

Is no-one paying any attention?

Read my post above.