British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kingbee

Tactical Sub Rule

Well if they revert to the old style tac subs, hopefully it'll be at the same stages as now i.e. must be 10pts down for the first and 12pts down for the 2nd and none after heat 12.

I'd hate to see the old style 6pts down rule return, it was always so unfair on a side that had excelled itself to get a lead then see it wiped away - at least at 10 points ahead that would be less likely, and fits the purpose of 'making scores closer' and giving the losing team a chance, rather than handing a top heavy losing team an easy route to pinch an undeserved win.

CVS stated that the double points rule would be dropped if SKY aren't covering.

No idea if the current rule remains tho.

True but the points scored may be worth twice as much.

Yes but if the losing side are 10pts down and get an 8-1, they're still 3pts down and can't try it again until they're 12pts down.

Old TS rule however, at 6pts down, a 5-1 puts them just 2pts down, plus an opportunity to use TS again only two heats later if they go 6pts down again!! I've seen many matches in the old days where teams have won (unfairly in my opinion) by doing exactly that where they've contrived to get their best riders on the night in most of the heats through a succession of TS replacements.

Edited by Star Fever
  • Like 1

Forget all tacticals and only allow changes of gate positions . . .

• Like 1

How about

1) If a side is 10 points down they can nominate a "Golden Substitution" where they can replace a rider in the opposite team in one heat i.e. remove no.1 and replace with no.3/5

2) If a side is 6 points down they can nominate a "Silver Substitution" where they replace a rider in their own team to try and get back into the meeting

can only use Gold/Silver rule once each per meeting - i.e. maximum 2 subs per meeting.

It will keep the other team manager on his/her toes

only allowed between heats 5-12

The double points is statistically more fair than the old tac sub rule, but I don't like it much - and it looks like we're stuck with it if Sky's deal is sorted out. Some kind of tac sub rule would be more in line with other team sports, replacing an out of form or injured rider with an in-form rider (substitutes in football and both codes of rugby, bowlers and field placings in cricket).

To make it more fair, maybe tac subs should be restricted to riders with a lower average than the one they are replacing. That would at least be simple. And six points is too little for the rule to kick in - looking back I can't believe it was so few!

Edited by Conkers in Gravy

How about

1) If a side is 10 points down they can nominate a "Golden Substitution" where they can replace a rider in the opposite team in one heat i.e. remove no.1 and replace with no.3/5

2) If a side is 6 points down they can nominate a "Silver Substitution" where they replace a rider in their own team to try and get back into the meeting

can only use Gold/Silver rule once each per meeting - i.e. maximum 2 subs per meeting.

It will keep the other team manager on his/her toes

only allowed between heats 5-12

Hmm..not sure a rider on the opposite team would be too chuffed with another team manager reducing his nightly points money..

Suddenly you've got number ones who are only getting 4 rides a night..probably not going to keep them happy for very long.

Maybe to keep things simple just allow 3 substitutions between riders 2-7 throughout the meeting if your 6 points or more down, only one tactical ride per rider etc. works in other sports

just thought how good it would be to be able to play with the oppositions side, or instead of maybe removing an opponents rider, maybe a "tactical switch" where they can swap riders rides lol

Maybe have the riders carry coloured water during the race and then empty whatever doesn't get spilt into a large container on the centre green. The team with the most water get an extra 4.5 points.

• Like 3

Why not use the old tactical rule but a team can only use it when 10 points behind? Watching the likes of Ward and Iversen ride a extra heat would give more value for money for fans wouldn't it?

Maybe have the riders carry coloured water during the race and then empty whatever doesn't get spilt into a large container on the centre green. The team with the most water get an extra 4.5 points.

.....but they have to wear a hessian sack hood over their helmets so they are blindfolded....

each rider is represented by four buxom serving wenches dressed as milk maids, who carry the water in two pails attached to a wooden pole balanced across their respective shoulders and riders have to take these pails from them to the centre green container..

as blindfolded riders are an obvious health and safety risk, each of their four buxom assistants stands at the start and finish of each straight and shouts "left!, left!, left!" as their rider goes past,,,

now that is a £20 sport!!!

It'll pack 'em in I tell yer, pack 'em in..... :icon_smile_clown::wink::D

In 2012 they tried the TACTICAL RUN OFF in the KO Cup matches which in some cases was ok, but in some it was pointless as any team that as losing nominated a rider to take on Darcy Ward or Freddie Lindgren etc

At the time I made the suggestion to Pete Adams that maybe a better idea would have been for the losing team to nominate a rider to face the opposing teams equivalent rider. ..... So Wolves could in effect nominate Jacob Thorssell (#5) to take on Kyle Howarth (#5) ..... or Joe Jacobs (#7) to take on James Sarjeant (#7)

This may not be great but at least it provides possibly two extra races and the losing team gets to use the inform rider when they want and it doesn't rely on top riders making up the defecit.

How about awarding Double Points in Heat 15 or for your final match of the season award double match points (i.e. a big away win gets you 8 points instead of 4).

Just something totally unique I've thought of that's never been considered in a sport before.

How about awarding Double Points in Heat 15 or for your final match of the season award double match points (i.e. a big away win gets you 8 points instead of 4).

Just something totally unique I've thought of that's never been considered in a sport before.

That's not sport, its more like 'Its a Knockout'.. :D

Old TS rule however, at 6pts down, a 5-1 puts them just 2pts down, plus an opportunity to use TS again only two heats later if they go 6pts down again!!

The tactical sub rule should only have come into play at 8 points down (which was actually the rule for a short while) as a team is then at least two maximum heat advantages behind.

Ref Tactical Rule...

Leave everything as it is, except there does need to be a bit of jeopardy in it for the team using it, so....

Tactical rider nominated goes off 15 metres

Tactical rider only scores double if he WINS the race...

Thats it....