British Speedway Forum
brewer

14 Home And Away League

How many fans, from how many clubs, were asked how many fixtures they wanted?

In fact, when was the last time fans were asked what they wanted in general?

Wasn't the feedback from a lot of fans last season that they weren't enough fixtures?

Or did I imagine lots of the posts on this forum? :D

All the best

Rob

Wasn't the feedback from a lot of fans last season that they weren't enough fixtures?

Or did I imagine lots of the posts on this forum? :D

All the best

Rob

So, a few dozen fans from each club, who post on a forum, are "a lot of fans" now? And, all of a sudden, the BSPA and rule-makers, are interested in what is being said on a forum??

Maybe those teams whose meaningful fixtures ended before the beginning of September will welcome more fixtures, but I'm not so sure about those who had to run double-headers and twice a week to fit the fixtures in.

Edited by The Abbott

The only difference is that the US "extra" matches are not picked or done by geography but are based on a rotation over X amount of years so that you play all opponents over the course of the rotation; thus removing the bias that others are referring to here.

It's not entirely the case. The NFL is maybe the best balanced in that teams from any one division will all play the same opponents in 14 of the 16 matches, but there are still a couple of semi-random match-ups determined by finishing positions the previous season, plus one team may play a team in another division at home and whilst another would play them away.

The MLB inter-league games are a bit weird in that whilst one division will roughly play another division the same year, but not every team the same number of times, plus they always play a defined rival in a 'local' derby every year. Except for 8 teams who have two defined local rivals who they alternate playing against... :blink:

So, a few dozen fans from each club, who post on a forum, are "a lot of fans" now? And, all of a sudden, the BSPA and rule-makers, are interested in what is being said on a forum??

Maybe those teams whose meaningful fixtures ended before the beginning of September will welcome more fixtures, but I'm not so sure about those who had to run double-headers and twice a week to fit the fixtures in.

I think quite a few promoters are quite interested in what is said on forums.

Who had to run twice a week last year? There were 34 weeks in the speedway season, not an excessive amount of rain during the actual season (despite very wet winters either side), and no-one had anything like 34 official fixtures to stage at their track.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

I think quite a few promoters are quite interested in what is said on forums.

Who had to run twice a week last year? There were 34 weeks in the speedway season, not an excessive amount of rain during the actual season (despite very wet winters either side), and no-one had anything like 34 official fixtures to stage at their track.

All the best

Rob

Rye and Workington for two ran a double header and Newcastle had to run a Sunday and the following night in 2013. There's three for a start.

And the year before, when teams had to forfeit there second legs to help with fixture congestion? (i.e Workington)

Edited by The Abbott

Can't see what's wrong with having the season run into October, as long as the weathers ok. Makes the 'closed season' seem shorter!

It's not that long ago that Scunny and Sheffield organised a 'Halloween' meeting to end the season. When was that Rob, 2007 or 2008?

Remember getting wrapped up for that one, fireworks also seem better and more appropriate at that time of year rather than the end of August!

Can't see what's wrong with having the season run into October, as long as the weathers ok. Makes the 'closed season' seem shorter!

It's not that long ago that Scunny and Sheffield organised a 'Halloween' meeting to end the season. When was that Rob, 2007 or 2008?

Remember getting wrapped up for that one, fireworks also seem better and more appropriate at that time of year rather than the end of August!

October, if the weather is OK, is one of the best months, especially at the EofES, when moisture is retained in the track surface. Makes for plenty of passing, which is not something you get a lot of on hard dry surfaces anywhere

Well according to the B.S.P.A website:-

PLAY-OFF PICTURE - HOW IT WORKS

- Teams race 24 meetings (12 home, 12 away). The top six then go forward to the play-offs.

- The play-offs are split into two groups of three teams. Teams finishing 1st and 2nd after the initial 24 meetings get to choose the two teams they wish to have in their play-off group. A total of a further 4 meetings are then raced in each group (2 home, 2 away).

- The winner of each group then race off over two legs in the Grand Final. Winners of the Grand Final are crowned Premier League Champions.

That's last years rules, have a look at the 2014 fixture list.

Well The White Knight is up in arms about it. They normally means it's a damn good idea, but they just didn't happen to be doing it in 1972. :t::P

Personally, I have no problem with it. You set the number of fixtures according to what the number of fixtures that the clubs and fans want.

All the best

Rob

I don't normally respond to remarks like this but in this case I will make an exception.

The only point I will make is that the 'good ideas' I have railed about on here ie: Double Points, Joker, GP System, National League Riders in the Elite League Play Offs no Yellow/Black Helmet Cover any more (difficult to distinguish between Yellow Cover and White Cover under lights). The Green Helmet Cover which was dropped.

I would question whether ANY of these were 'good ideas' and in the INTERESTS of Speedway. IF they are 'Good ideas' - then why are people not flooding back to watch this wonderful new version of Speedway?

Wait - I know (though some will pooh pooh it on here).

Too many stupid bl**dy Rules and not enough PROMOTION!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I hope this helps Lucifer Sam.

• Like 1

I don't normally respond to remarks like this but in this case I will make an exception.

The only point I will make is that the 'good ideas' I have railed about on here ie: Double Points, Joker, GP System, National League Riders in the Elite League Play Offs no Yellow/Black Helmet Cover any more (difficult to distinguish between Yellow Cover and White Cover under lights). The Green Helmet Cover which was dropped.

I would question whether ANY of these were 'good ideas' and in the INTERESTS of Speedway. IF they are 'Good ideas' - then why are people not flooding back to watch this wonderful new version of Speedway?

Wait - I know (though some will pooh pooh it on here).

Too many stupid bl**dy Rules and not enough PROMOTION!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I hope this helps Lucifer Sam.

..........surely you have forgotten double downers or uppers , Riders championships at the start of the season, the 2nd phase ,..........as unusual you are a credit to the Old Farts rule ok Club and long may it survive.

• Like 1

..........surely you have forgotten double downers or uppers , Riders championships at the start of the season, the 2nd phase ,..........as unusual you are a credit to the Old Farts rule ok Club and long may it survive.

UNUSUAL!!!! - I have failed in my task. :shock: :shock: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

UNUSUAL!!!! - I have failed in my task. :shock: :shock: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sincere apologies, deepest regret at my typing error, good job you were aware that my intention was to use the word usual.

I do hope you can forgive me.

• Like 1

Sincere apologies, deepest regret at my typing error, good job you were aware that my intention was to use the word usual.

I do hope you can forgive me.

Nice one sean my friend. :t::approve::rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1