British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

Where do you draw that line? Someone, somewhere has to miss it.If Tully is considered too old at 26, then surely Blackbird, also 26, should be the same?I don't like the idea of riders being "handpicked".It sounds far too dodgy for my liking. There should be a strict guideline, eg under 25, never achieved PL average of 6+, and never held a full time EL spot, for example.That way at least everyone knows where they stand.I don't agree with everything on Screamer's list, but fair play on the old chap for giving it a go!First person I've seen give it a try.

Thanks mate.

I purposely put that list together to frustrate others giving Kings Lynn Lambert & Kerr and putting other club assets elsewhere and they took it. Some clubs are going to be upset with who they get and some will be extremely happy.

I do think though that the riders first and foremost should be allowed to say yes or no. They just can't be forced to take a spot they don't want.

The teams who have run junior sides should now get the reward for that by being able to use their assets or riders they've given track time to & the rest who didn't, well you had the chance.

• Like 3

There is a possibility that riders like Kyle Howarth and Josh Auty could find themselves without EL rides unless they are included in the 'Draft Riders'. Whilst both have EL averages in the 4's they have hardly 'made it' in the EL. I think both would be risky main body riders and I'd question whether teams would go for them especially given that the reserves are likely to be weaker this year than previous years.

I hope some common sense prevails here as both of these riders are still young and improving and surely this system should be designed to help them as well as others who aren't yet at that level. You could also argue a case for the likes of Richard Lawson.

• Like 1

There is a possibility that riders like Kyle Howarth and Josh Auty could find themselves without EL rides unless they are included in the 'Draft Riders'. Whilst both have EL averages in the 4's they have hardly 'made it' in the EL. I think both would be risky main body riders and I'd question whether teams would go for them especially given that the reserves are likely to be weaker this year than previous years.

I hope some common sense prevails here as both of these riders are still young and improving and surely this system should be designed to help them as well as others who aren't yet at that level. You could also argue a case for the likes of Richard Lawson.

thats the problem with promoting NL stars to EL, its puts up and coming Brits like Howarth and Auty at risk

• Like 2

thats the problem with promoting NL stars to EL, its puts up and coming Brits like Howarth and Auty at risk

Depends on the new heat format. If the lowest of your top five will have two rides against your opponent's reserves, then the likes of Birks, Howarth and Auty would beat them with one hand tied behind their backs.

Depends on the new heat format. If the lowest of your top five will have two rides against your opponent's reserves, then the likes of Birks, Howarth and Auty would beat them with one hand tied behind their backs.

Think you're being more than a tad ignorant and disrespectful towards some of those "draft riders".

They could easily beat a "genuine" EL rider (or riders) on their day.

It wasn't so long ago that Josh Bates beat a former EL number 1 (Jason Doyle) on a track he'd hardly seen before.

Think you're being more than a tad ignorant and disrespectful towards some of those "draft riders".They could easily beat a "genuine" EL rider (or riders) on their day.It wasn't so long ago that Josh Bates beat a former EL number 1 (Jason Doyle) on a track he'd hardly seen before.

This is where you would see the big gulf in class , you might get a Andy Smith,or a Sean Wilson break through i reallly hope so.But you will have a few who disappear broken and skint along the way they're are some very good second strings out there who could have a field day i hope i am wrong though.

Think you're being more than a tad ignorant and disrespectful towards some of those "draft riders".

They could easily beat a "genuine" EL rider (or riders) on their day.

It wasn't so long ago that Josh Bates beat a former EL number 1 (Jason Doyle) on a track he'd hardly seen before.

But Doyle only had a lap to try and pass him though as he got held up by his team mate (newman) for 3 laps. before almost getting him on the line.

This is where you would see the big gulf in class , you might get a Andy Smith,or a Sean Wilson break through i reallly hope so.But you will have a few who disappear broken and skint along the way they're are some very good second strings out there who could have a field day i hope i am wrong though.

No doubt about it - there's always a few riders who suddenly kick on for whatever reason. No reason why some on Screamer's list can't do that. Others will do as you expect, and then there are a few who will really struggle and find it tough going.

Why not allow the teams to pick their own reserves within laid down guidelines. And each team have a pool of 3 reserve riders. that way all teams will be covered for the inevitable injuries, and /or form or availability.

• Like 1

No doubt about it - there's always a few riders who suddenly kick on for whatever reason. No reason why some on Screamer's list can't do that. Others will do as you expect, and then there are a few who will really struggle and find it tough going.

You could be right Mungo,wouldn't that be great,going back when i first started going in 1969. When the old second halves were here i thought it was great when the juniors mixed it with the big boys.Looking back a hell of alot of good career riders came through that way.I suppose the difference was it was alot slower then but never the less alot of juniors progressed why do you think ? since say the late 80s has the talent dried up.

Will Ashley Birks be riding again next season? He suffered a bad injury at Plymouth.

Who do you think will be the riders in the groups? Where would you place them? Here's my list

Group A PL Ave:-

Ashley Birks 7.30 (Swindon)

Josh Auty 7.24 ( Birmingham)

Andrew Tully 7.19 (Belle Vue)

Kyle Howarth 6.63 (Poole)

Lewis Kerr 6.09 (Kings Lynn)

Jason Garrity 5.45 (Leicester)

Kyle Newman 5.32 (Eastbourne)

Lewis Blackbird 4.93 (Wolverhampton)

Charles Wright 4.30 (Coventry)

Adam Ellis 4.25 (Lakeside)

Group B NL Ave:-

Robert Lambert 10.30 (Kings Lynn)

Paul Starke 9.93 (Wolverhampton)

Ashley Morris 8.83 (Birmingham)

Joe Jacobs 8.71 (Coventry)

Robert Branford 8.53 (Swindon)

Stefan Nielsen 8.00 (Leicester)

Ben Reade 7.70 (Belle Vue)

Jake Knight 7.62 (Eastbourne))

Josh Bates 7.49 (Poole)

Daniel Halsey 7.43 (Lakeside)

All 20 Elite League reserves have to be riders who are also riding in the National League at the start of 2014. Some of your riders did not even ride in the National League in 2013 because they were not eligible so it is highly unlikely they will be in 2014.

All 20 Elite League reserves have to be riders who are also riding in the National League at the start of 2014. Some of your riders did not even ride in the National League in 2013 because they were not eligible so it is highly unlikely they will be in 2014.

Where does it say that?

they will not have to be in the NL in 2014 - some may well have been NL as far back as 2011 and still be on the list.
  • Like 2