British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

How Do Grass Track And Speedway Compare?

It's hard to make a comparison but what standard would leading non-speedway linked 500cc grass track riders rate in regard to a speedway standard? I hope that question makes sense?

Most top speedway riders think grasstrack riders are mad. Just ask Chris Holder on what he thinks about Grasstrack.

It's just not possible for me to fulfil that request but I would be interested in Chris Holder's opinion if available.

I think that speedway riders back in the 80s use to do both and maybe before this but i can only remember as far back as the 80s. Now that most speedway riders ride all the time they dont find the time to do both. I still go to grasstrack and think that you can see some great racing. what i like about it is that you can have a speedway rider turn up who is really good at speedway and they will race with an amateur and not always win. Could you image this on a speedway track.

I have seen some really fantastic races on the grass, but those same riders are just average at speedway. Chris and Dave Baybutt, Gerry Short are typical - champs on the grass.

There again, the like of Peter Collins, Chris Morton, Jeremy Doncaster, Simon Wigg and others were spectacular on both, and successful on both.

Unless my memory is paying tricks I can recall attending Grass Track meetings in Kent during the late 60's, and seeing Malcolm Simmons perform really well. I also recall watching John Louis in Scramble meets at Ramsden Essex, before he switched to Speedway.

I saw a Grass Track meeting yesterday at Ugley, near Stansted airport. I haven't been to a meeting for a while and unfortunately, some classes were lacking in riders, i.e. a 350 cc heat, had only 3 riders. The main event was the British under 21 championship and was won by James Shanes, who I understand rides speedway at NL level, but is tipped as a great future speedway prospect, I understand. He was brilliant! Very exciting and full throttle! The best supported class was the upright class, which had a rider by the name of Stephen Green, not heard of him before, but was also very entertaining and not a youngster! I had a great afternoon.

Will Rayleigh ever have speedway again?...what a lovely thought. I have fond memories of Rayleigh. My father and I helped Len Silver with work at the old Arterial Road ground prior to the Rockets joining the old British League 2nd. Division.

• Like 1

Will Rayleigh ever have speedway again?...what a lovely thought. I have fond memories of Rayleigh. My father and I helped Len Silver with work at the old Arterial Road ground prior to the Rockets joining the old British League 2nd. Division.

I remember hitching a lift from Upminster to Rayleigh to watch an Easter Trophy meeting. This would have been 1963 I think. My friend and I sat on the grass overlooking the 3rd./4th. bends to watch lower order riders, presumably Provincial League competing in the Spring sunshine. I believe this was Easter Sunday afternoon. As I recall the meeting was won by Jim Heard with Malcolm Brown second. My word it does not seem 50 years ago.

• Like 1

When I was racing grasstrack in the 70s, it always struck me that PC, Chris Morton etc, whilst bad gaters in speedway,, were generally at the first bend ahead of us ! In those days 16 riders in a heat was not uncommon, made for congested first bends too!

, it always struck me that PC, Chris Morton etc, whilst bad gaters in speedway,, were generally at the first bend ahead of us !

My claim to fame in grass track was that I could out gate both PC and Chris Morton.

One race I was round the 2nd bend before PC passed me - mind you I didnt see him again until I was back in the pits. :D

My claim to fame in grass track was that I could out gate both PC and Chris Morton.

One race I was round the 2nd bend before PC passed me - mind you I didnt see him again until I was back in the pits. :D

I'd have been happy to outgate them!

My claim to fame is that I ran into Chris Morton when he locked up in front of me. I shut off, and he cleared off to win the race! That's what made them better than average....they come out on top.