British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

No Chris Holder In 2014 In British League.

If he isnt claiming benefits why cant he stay in the UK? Hes contributing to the economy if he lives here so does it matter?

I think someone already established that he has a visa to stay here. On the point of contributing to the economy - what taxes will someone in his position pay then????? Someone in his position would also be eligible for free healthcare etc so yes - I think it does matter.

• Like 2

Everyone seems to get free healthcare anyway! :lol:

• Like 1

Would it help if he was granted the freedom of Poole !!!

The add on the bottom of this page said it all to me. ( Quality Turbochargers ) Some of the new breed of speedway riders tear around the track with no thought to their own safey but the safey of other riders. They have great tallent. But until they learn to control their throttle and take control of their machines, then accidents are not only going to be bad injury wise but also life threatening. I have seen far to many punch up or near punch ups from top riders where riders have put their fellow riders in danger.

This is not good enough, they need to learn respect. I know it can make some thrilling looking races but they also need to take control of their machines and stop putting themselves and other riders in a situation that could be avoided. Sorry if I upset anyone, but that is they way I see some of these young top riders.

Maybe they will come to respest that they are on a machne that can kill not only themselves but others.

I think someone already established that he has a visa to stay here. On the point of contributing to the economy - what taxes will someone in his position pay then????? Someone in his position would also be eligible for free healthcare etc so yes - I think it does matter.

VAT for a start.

Not the point though is it ? If folk in the real world have to be abide by the rules, why should he be any different just because he's a speedway rider ?

If he's got the visa to stay, fair play, if not..he goes - simple. Someone mentioned a 5 year visa, but i didn't think sporting ones stretched that far.

Because it's a free country... and as i said, i'm happy he won't be around, especially as he's clearly putting british speedway at the bottom of his priorities. Sorry that you and your cronies are upset that he's not going to be riding for you. It's my personal choice to dislike him, and there's nowt you can do about that really.

Yes it maybe a free country, at the moment, and no there's nothing i or anybody else can do as to you disliking him. But, if its not escaped your memory, Chris had a very nasty Set of injuries after smashing into there wall behind the Airfence at Coventry, sustaining, and broken right hip, fractured pelvis, shattered right heal and broken shoulder blade{scapula} and if you are a Doctor??, you will know EXACTLY what all that means and entails, need i say anymore.. Now, the reason why Chris is doing what he's doing has absolutely NOTHING to do with deserting British Speedway. He is cutting down on his racing commitments, he happens to be doing the right thing, so he can get himself as near as 100% fit as he posibly can, and another 38 British fixtures is certainly not going to help his cause.

Yes, he still has a lot of fixtures to forfil, in Poland Sweden and the GP, but its going to give him that bit extra time to hopefully get himself back in the grove. In the eyes of the poole fans and the management he is doing exactly the right thing. But don't fret, he will be back, with poole..

• Like 1

Gutting news not only for Poole but to lose a recent World Champ is a shame for the league as well.

True but we cant run our league around one or two riders who no longer want to do a full season in the UK. He will be back when someone is injured I assume.

• Like 1

after all he's hardly likely to be claiming benefits!

He must of racked up a big NHS bill recently?
  • Like 1

He's had two big injuries in recent seasons, and is at a point in his career, and his life, where he may wish to work less.If he is turning his back on Poole this season, the 30-odd meetings he'll miss out on would potentially earn Chris at least £100K.It isn't about money.

Of course it's about money !

British speedway don't need him - he will realise eventually that he needs British Speedway more.

Not a great fan of Darcy (mainly cus he Poole) but if he elects to race in uk in 2014, then good on him and good luck to the bloke - my attitude will change. ( to be perfectly honest, he has the best ability I ever seen on a speedway bike and guess I envious of his achievements both current and no doubt the MANY for the future)

Yes it maybe a free country, at the moment, and no there's nothing i or anybody else can do as to you disliking him. But, if its not escaped your memory, Chris had a very nasty Set of injuries after smashing into there wall behind the Airfence at Coventry, sustaining, and broken right hip, fractured pelvis, shattered right heal and broken shoulder blade{scapula} and if you are a Doctor??, you will know EXACTLY what all that means and entails, need i say anymore.. Now, the reason why Chris is doing what he's doing has absolutely NOTHING to do with deserting British Speedway. He is cutting down on his racing commitments, he happens to be doing the right thing, so he can get himself as near as 100% fit as he posibly can, and another 38 British fixtures is certainly not going to help his cause.

Yes, he still has a lot of fixtures to forfil, in Poland Sweden and the GP, but its going to give him that bit extra time to hopefully get himself back in the grove. In the eyes of the poole fans and the management he is doing exactly the right thing. But don't fret, he will be back, with poole..

So it's not just Middlo who you're sniffing around then ?

If he isn't deserting british speedway, then why has he not chosen to ditch one of his other teams ? Oh yes...because they pay better than what he could get over here...

He got injured yes - but many many other riders get injuries and a fair number of the general public do too on a daily basis with broken hips and pelvis's aplenty. I see no reason to fawn over him over some simple injuries. It only seems worse because he's your hero and the injuries aren't the normal type associated with speedway.

If he isn't deserting british speedway, then why has he not chosen to ditch one of his other teams ? Oh yes...because they pay better than what he could get over here...

He got injured yes - but many many other riders get injuries and a fair number of the general public do too on a daily basis with broken hips and pelvis's aplenty. I see no reason to fawn over him over some simple injuries. It only seems worse because he's your hero and the injuries aren't the normal type associated with speedway.

I have to say, your "throw-away" comments about Chris Holders injuries are disgusting to say the least....... They were career ending injuries, so not to sign up for the start of the UK season, yet still sign for his foreign clubs, is not fair, he will have to ride a restricted programme of meetings to start with, and I would NOT be surprised if he withdraws/or gets withdrawn by team managers in rhe first 4 to 8 meetings anyway with his injuries playing up...... Perhaps he's done Poole a big favour? Poole would certainly not want there no 1 or 2nd ht leader pulling up in races in the early part of the league racing season. ....

Simple injuries! That's a disgraceful, disrespectful and incorrect comment. Your most definitely not a Doctor.

If Holder is offered a starting place by any other EL team & refuses he should not be allowed back into the Poole team later in the year under any circumstances.