British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

No Chris Holder In 2014 In British League.

DON'T see why. Had the air-fence not lifted when hit by Chris's bike, as it shouldn't have done, it would have absorbed and cushioned the impact of Chris as it was designed to do.

It didn't really lift, it exploded when his bike hit it so I don't know how that could have been avoided. The BSPA must think these air fences are okay being as they are insisting all tracks have them next season.

NOTHING wrong with air-fences in principle, on the contrary, but they still have to be fitted and maintained properly. Not saying that this was the case at Coventry but Chris Holder would no doubt argue that he had a right and an expectation for it to prevent him sustaining the injuries that he did.

Been at a couple of GPs this year when upon close examination by the Jury President and Referee the installed air-fence required considerable work before it was considered secure and effective.

Not sure that all air-fences undergo that sort of scrutiny before all domestic meetings.

It didn't really lift, it exploded when his bike hit it so I don't know how that could have been avoided. The BSPA must think these air fences are okay being as they are insisting all tracks have them next season.

Should have gone to Specsavers :wink: it definitely lifted and Chris went under it

• Like 1

Should have gone to Specsavers :wink: it definitely lifted and Chris went under it

The bike actually burst the air fence which then caused it to lift. At that point even if the air fence stayed in place it wouldn't have given Chris much protection.

If you watch the Sky footage you will see that it did not explode when the bike hit it but lifted and you can clearly see the retaining straps on the bottom of the air fence proving that it had not been correctly secured, if it had been correctly fitted then Chris Holder would not have received such horrific injuries

Keep going guys, Hmm!!!

The bike actually burst the air fence which then caused it to lift. At that point even if the air fence stayed in place it wouldn't have given Chris much protection.

No it didn't ! I'm not disputing the air fence burst but it was the bike that lifted the air fence as pointed out by starshooter

So, if the air fence at Coventry was 'incorrectly secured' - then surely Chris Holder has a financial case for loss or earnings to pursue v someone in authority / accountability at Coventry ?

Don't hear of any such issue going on - so probably not the case then !!??

PS : Hope Chris Holder is getting well again - need riders like him in Speedway.

Has any rider ever sought financial damages when injured after crashing into an airfence??

No it didn't ! I'm not disputing the air fence burst but it was the bike that lifted the air fence as pointed out by starshooter

Sorry should have worded that much better, to tired at that time of night! I agree with you just pointed out that as the air fence had burst there was no protection anyway and the bike did lift the fence. Air fences seem to do the same all round Europe and happened in the GPs too.

Sorry should have worded that much better, to tired at that time of night! I agree with you just pointed out that as the air fence had burst there was no protection anyway and the bike did lift the fence. Air fences seem to do the same all round Europe and happened in the GPs too.

Doesn't happen at Poole..

• Like 1

In one sense that is correct, but when you have a discussion forum and someone comes on and says "This is my opinion and I am not prepared to discuss my reasons for thinking this way " it kind of defeats the object of a forum for discussion.

It may well do, but there are many many other things that go on here that go against the idea of a forum for discussion.

Anyway, i see this thread has moved on to arguing over whether a air fence panel has burst, so i'll leave that to those that are interested.

Heat leaders will not face the reserves.

so if a rider is injured \withdrawn from meeting, a reserve cannot replace hm if a heatleader is already in that heat. seems complicated to me nail coffin etc