British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

'speedway Riders - History, Results'

Is there anymore more stupid a thing than this so-called 'history' site on proboards completely ignoring the third tier racing record of riders?

Why on earth does it do that?

Completely nullifies any legitimacy of that site as being a full record of a rider's career.

Here's an example:

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/444

Misses out all references to the meetings a double Conference/National League Riders Champ has ridden in the third tier!

Don't know if anyone on the BSF also deals with this 'proboards' site but if they do can they possibly explain..?!

Given the fact that those who update the site have to painstakingly copy/paste (if lucky) or type each meeting result and summary, I think that they deserve a medal for the time and effort they have devoted so as to share everything that they presently collate. Considering they do this for free and don't need to share it with the rest of us, perhaps it'd be more beneficial if you offered your services to them rather than being critical of their efforts?

Personally I've found the site useful quite a few times over the years - although it's a shame it isn't database driven and 'fed' by Speedway Updates so as to eradicate the duplicated effort and to drive alternative analysis.

You may have asked a simple question but you prefixed this by insulting their efforts. Perhaps it is harder to consistently acquire the information? maybe the existing information is already taking as long to collate as they are willing to devote?

Every bit of information that they display on their site takes time and effort to find and record. If you look at the small number of names posting information and compare this to the number of pages in the site, it's quite clear that the project has taken a helluva lot of time over the years. We should be thankful that they've done this and kindly shared it with us.

• Like 2

But for many riders the info. is totally flawed as it misses out their third tier appearances.

Malcolm Vasey has detailed all such records in painstaking detail so via his books a simple process to update.

I still believe the omission must be deliberate rather than simply saying it's too difficult to get hold of..

I update the rider element of that site.

I haven't included the third tier because in my view it is the equivalent of junior racing and is of no interest to me. Similar to Parsloes' insult in many ways. :)

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 4

I haven't included the third tier because in my view it is the equivalent of junior racing and is of no interest to me. Similar to Parsloes' insult in many ways. :)

What a wonderfully direct answer.

No sugar coating there.

All that spin on the 'fountain of youth' coming to the Top Division next year.

When this is the view of some really committed followers of the sport.

A top league with two 'Junior' races included may have limited appeal.

So then the riding record of the World Champion, Tai Woffinden is not included in his first season then.

'Junior racing'...?!

Pathetic...

Simple answer then Parsnips old fruit surely is for you to set up a separate website, do the necessary research and then, once you've got all the info, transfer all the details you've gathered to the website you've set up?

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 3

Anyone interested in speedway stats - and, let's be honest, every serious fan should be - then I can tell you with utter glee that I am about to update my British Speedway Leagues Book 1991-13, which I last bothered with after the 2009 season.

Anyone who hasn't had a copy in their grubs in the past should get a move on... it is intended as a follow on Peter Oakes' 1965-90 book and contains all the same stuff - averages, results, tables.

Somebody has to keep the stats buffs out there off the streets, and I am that person.

For those who like to delve through all the three main leagues, which this effort includes without trying to save ink, then I am pleased to point you towards this... and will transport you, with a fondness for facts-and-figures, to your own personal space for what you may aptly call "Me Time."

Without fans like us, speedway wouldn't have a serious archive of stats - we have Peter Morrish's 1946-64 book, Peter Oakes' 1965-90.. and then, of course, this one... compiled by yours truly.

Almost forgot... there is Matt Jackson's superb work also.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

Hmm, yes but the point is that there is this website purporting to be a definitive record of Speedway riders' records in the British leagues but actually deliberately supresses info. on whole sections of riders' careers... And the reason? The completely ridiculous, bigotted views of one individual who , completely laughably, believes the third division to be 'junior racing'...

Stll at least it's been admitted now...

Hmm, yes but the point is that there is this website purporting to be a definitive record of Speedway riders' records in the British leagues but actually deliberately supresses info. on whole sections of riders' careers... And the reason? The completely ridiculous, bigotted views of one individual who , completely laughably, believes the third division to be 'junior racing'...

So then are you going to set up a separate website Parsnips old fruit? :P:wink:

It shouldn't really be up to fans to put up a website detailing the history of what's supposed to be a professional sport..

Any sport worth its salt should have a website which details everything you want to know, presnt day right down to 1928.

Speedway, especially the early years, has had a shoddy approach regarding the keeping of facts and figures about itself...

It is really sad that serious magazines of the time failed to even bother including some matches.. and leaves sites like The Speedway Researcher trying to rewind and fill in all the gaps.

Edited by moxey63

And we are still seeing that same attitude today, as proven here, by some who think certain matches/even whole leagues aren't worthy of recording..

Thank the lord for Mr. Vasey (hmm, not something I thought I'd ever say with such enthusiasm!!) and his several volumes (filling a whole cupboard in the very room I'm currently sitting!)of facts and figures about the third tier.

When will the 2012 & '13 volume(s) be coming out Mr. V.?

• Like 1

Doesn't purport anything of the sort.

The extract below is the website Introduction:

"The following section is posted with enormous gratitude to Frigbo who has allowed us to use his extensive rider database. It contains all riders from the top two British leagues from 1965 and lists details of every appearance (including guest appearances by 2nd division riders for 1st division teams. Guest rides undertaken in the same league as the rider's club are not included), as well as individual honours. In the case of GP appearances, a "wildcard" could mean a rider who has come in to replace another.

As you can imagine, this has been a time consuming project for us, as well as those who should also be named and thanked for their considerable help - Subedei, kevh, hatcham and genghis. So for this reason, I would ask that our copyright is respected. We would also like to thank Doug MacFarlane for allowing us to use his photos. Again, please respect his copyright.

We have also been working hard to archive full results for as many meetings as possible. Results for junior meetings have been indexed on the same thread as the senior meetings to avoid having too many threads on one board and for ease of viewing. Likewise for National Championships - British, Swedish, Polish, etc, finals are all on one thread.

The indexes in this section should provide quick links to results and riders in the database. Please let us know of any errors or omissions so they can be corrected as soon as possible.

Need to pay more pre-rant attention next time Mr P. Maybe you missed it as you're so busy collating all of the third tier rider and meeting data??
Give us a shout in 4 years time when you've pulled together as much as we have.
Edited by frigbo
  • Like 4