British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

'speedway Riders - History, Results'

The last post sums up the perspective of this thread far more eloquently than I ever could.

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 1

Are you pair professional bores or is it just some kind of hobby?

Hmm, says the man advertising,

"Excel Speedway Racecards & Sundry Speedway Related Items

Old Pics, Results Sheets 1928-2007, Racecards, all sorts of stuff"..?!

I do hope you've got that 3rd teir (sic) covered, 'Dave?' ;)

Edited by frigbo

I do hope you've got that 3rd teir (sic) covered, 'Dave?' ;)

Going back further in time, and I realise it is outside the 1965 start season for the History Site. But in your opinion was the old National League Division Three third tier speedway or junior racing?

At its 1947 start it was made up mainly of newcomers and juniors from senior clubs - just a handful of pre-war riders gained places? All the teams though had their own stadiums.

Edited by Guest

i see the Western Junior League appearances haven't been included..

I can appreciate your concern but even I think a line has to be drawn somewhere. The Western League and others of this ilk are regionalised and therefore must surely be regarded as junior racing?

Competitions like the Conference League and current National League are staged on a national basis and through this earn the criteria of being Third Tier speedway - at least that's my view.

Edited by Guest

Irrespective of what you'd like to see there, isn't the point that the line has already been drawn by those who update the site?

Frigbo has made it quite clear that EL and PL are the focus of the site. Considering it his HIS free time, HIS site and quite frankly HIS choice, isn't this all rather irrelevant?

To me this is akin to knocking on a strangers door, being invited in for a brew and then criticizing the fact that they don't offer you Earl Grey.

If you want Earl Grey go home and make your own!

Serious question: Are Gustix and Parsloes two alter-egos of the same person trolling for kicks?

• Like 1

Serious question: Are Gustix and Parsloes two alter-egos of the same person trolling for kicks?

Tbh that is a pathetic comment and I demand its withdrawal.

The expression 'trolling' is over-used (as an insult) on this Forum but this takes it to another extreme.

There is NOTHING in my contribution to this thread which in any way constitutes 'trolling' and you frankly are a disgrace for making such a comment.

----------

What this thread has done has shown how a data-base meant to be an account of riders' careers is deliberately tampered with to wipe out whole parts of such careers. Not because it's too difficult to find the stats - but deliberately left out because of the bias of the compiler(s). Fair enough - it's up to them but something at least we now understand WHY this is the case.

Tbh that is a pathetic comment and I demand its withdrawal.

The expression 'trolling' is over-used (as an insult) on this Forum but this takes it to another extreme.

There is NOTHING in my contribution to this thread which in any way constitutes 'trolling' and you frankly are a disgrace for making such a comment.

As per Wikipedia: In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

I would argue that some of your comments such as "Is there anymore more stupid a thing than this so-called 'history' site" and "The completely ridiculous, bigotted views of one individual who , completely laughably, believes the third division to be 'junior racing'" could be construed as (admittedly in a relatively mild form) trolling. Surely you could have pointed out the omission or asked the question without starting the thread by insulting the efforts of those behind the history site? In my book the unsolicited insult is trolling and completely unnecessary.

• Like 2

Irrespective of what you'd like to see there, isn't the point that the line has already been drawn by those who update the site?

Frigbo has made it quite clear that EL and PL are the focus of the site. Considering it his HIS free time, HIS site and quite frankly HIS choice, isn't this all rather irrelevant?

To me this is akin to knocking on a strangers door, being invited in for a brew and then criticizing the fact that they don't offer you Earl Grey.

If you want Earl Grey go home and make your own!

Surely the objective of a history site is to be completely informative not to be selective as to what constitutes history?

Besides the previously mentioned Vic Ridgeon item - a Third Tier career gaining recognition - take a look at Steve Boxall's career data. Isn't there something missing in regard to Third Tier racing?

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/444

Edited by Guest

Wow, just wow.

• Like 1

I would argue that some of your comments such as "Is there anymore more stupid a thing than this so-called 'history' site" and "The completely ridiculous, bigotted views of one individual who , completely laughably, believes the third division to be 'junior racing'" could be construed as (admittedly in a relatively mild form) trolling. Surely you could have pointed out the omission or asked the question without starting the thread by insulting the efforts of those behind the history site? In my book the unsolicited insult is trolling and completely unnecessary.

Well the thread is not 'extraneous', it's clear what it's about and in the 'History' section of this Forum is completely on-topic.

And I'm sorry - but making statements like 'third tier racing is junior racing' is completely ridiculous as anyone who knows anything about Speedway in this country would know.

It is also ridiculous to deliberately leave out data on a so-called history site just because it doesn't suit one's 'view' of the world.

For example, everyone in the sport knows that the current British World Champ started his career at Scunthorpe and knows how important that is to the Tai Woffinden story. Yet the people compiling this site under discussion deliberately delete that info. from his 'record'... It takes more effort, in fact, to delete info like that than to leave it in.

The people causing argument (which seems oddly to be your chosen definition of 'trolling') are (1) those creating a completely misleading and inaccurate account of the racing record of the majority of British riders currently riding; and (2) those who for the sake of having a dig only, attempt to defend the indefensible.

Well the thread is not 'extraneous', it's clear what it's about and in the 'History' section of this Forum is completely on-topic.

And I'm sorry - but making statements like 'third tier racing is junior racing' is completely ridiculous as anyone who knows anything about Speedway in this country would know.

It is also ridiculous to deliberately leave out data on a so-called history site just because it doesn't suit one's 'view' of the world.

For example, everyone in the sport knows that the current British World Champ started his career at Scunthorpe and knows how important that is to the Tai Woffinden story. Yet the people compiling this site under discussion deliberately delete that info. from his 'record'... It takes more effort, in fact, to delete info like that than to leave it in.

The people causing argument (which seems oddly to be your chosen definition of 'trolling') are (1) those creating a completely misleading and inaccurate account of the racing record of the majority of British riders currently riding; and (2) those who for the sake of having a dig only, attempt to defend the indefensible.

It has not been unknown outside speedway for history to be written to suit a certain formula and leave out facts that do not suit the theory being put forward. I just do not understand why the History Site compilers do not recognise Third Tier speedway which is accepted at large as being part of UK speedway's mainstream.

AS BSF members we all know there is a Third Tier of recognised speedway because there is a section for the National League placed beneath excellent debating sections for the Elite League and the Premier League.

Edited by Guest