British Speedway Forum
a4poster

When Will The New Race Format Be Out & How Can Teams Name Riders When They Don't Know It?

Two very good questions.

It does seem rather strange that teams are signing anyone other than absolutely nailed on riders.

Personally speaking i dont really think the format matters all that much, getting the right riders is always key at this early stage.

• Like 1

But if the format is that reserves only race against each other and the oppositions second strings, then this suggests team formats will have to be more rigid.

This in turn suggests there will either be a clear advantage of having a strong top three, or a strong bottom two, depending on the heat format.

I see it as being 2 reserve races, then second strings & reserves twice, 2 second string races. And then a combination of the top 4 for throughout the rest of the programme. Personally can see the format being pretty similar except maybe heat 2 and 12 being reserve (as eg) and heat 8 and 14 for second strings and reserves (as has been previously but might be more enforced riding positions for this season - ie not putting a heat leader in a race jacket that will get easier rides).

Personally speaking i dont really think the format matters all that much, getting the right riders is always key at this early stage.

Of course it matters as a top heavy team may just be the wrong set up to go with and a more balanced top five could be more benefiial. However with the reserves having two races together and their other rides against second strings, the draft picks are going to be even more vital to get right.

As the reserves are having easier races, the #5 race jacket will no longer need to be a big hitter as he no longers has to partner a reserve while the second strings will possibly now have two slightly easier rides which will make a more balanced team better off.

Personally I feel that a team with an 8 point #1 and four riders around the 6 average will be hard to beat and if they have two reserves getting heat advantages in their heats they should be title contenders.

Of course it matters as a top heavy team may just be the wrong set up to go with and a more balanced top five could be more benefiial.

Makes no difference come play off time.

Strength in depth will prob get you to the play offs but top heavy will win it for you.

• Like 1

there will still be 7 man teams, solooks like 7 riders in each team.team average has been set for the top 5 riders and then 2 reserves.. thats 7.. asay SEVEN... format maybe same as sweden/danmark or one of them other countries.. simples..

the old 13 heat programme always produced some of the best racing in heats 2 and 8 featuring the reserves so they may base it on that

Edited by ballroom
  • Like 2

the old 13 heat programme always produced some of the best racing in heats 2 and 8 featuring the reserves so they may base it on that

So 13 heats for the price of 15!

Bargain!

• Like 1

Of course it matters as a top heavy team may just be the wrong set up to go with and a more balanced top five could be more benefiial. However with the reserves having two races together and their other rides against second strings, the draft picks are going to be even more vital to get right.

I would have thought top-heavy was the way to go, with weak second strings still able to beat opposition reserves.

Bargain!

It wouldn't be 13 heats because you'd have a second reserves heat and a nominated riders heat.

Bargain!

all my visits to east of england showground provided bargain speedway hope they run next year

• Like 2

I see it as being 2 reserve races, then second strings & reserves twice, 2 second string races. And then a combination of the top 4 for throughout the rest of the programme. Personally can see the format being pretty similar except maybe heat 2 and 12 being reserve (as eg) and heat 8 and 14 for second strings and reserves (as has been previously but might be more enforced riding positions for this season - ie not putting a heat leader in a race jacket that will get easier rides).

Well if both reserves have 4 rides each, and you have 2 reserve races, then you will have 4 more races with reserves riding in them. So effectively 40% of the heats will have a reserve rider in them. Thus emphasising the huge importance in how the riders are allocated, you can imagine once they are announced some clubs will be less than happy with the 'draft'. No prizes for guessing which club will come up smelling of roses. :wink::nono:

Edited by houdi
  • Like 1

isnt the `old` heats 2 and 8 the same as the current one tho?

Well if both reserves have 4 rides each, and you have 2 reserve races, then you will have 4 more races with reserves riding in them. So effectively 40% of the heats will have a reserve rider in them. Thus emphasising the huge importance in how the riders are allocated, you can imagine once they are announced some clubs will be less than happy with the 'draft'. No prizes for guessing which club will come up smelling of roses. :wink::nono:

Of course the `draft` is going to make some very unhappy. Anyone with any sense knows that reserves win you meetings and Championships. So there are bound to be many clubs very unhappy if the draft doesn't favour them too highly. There are bound to be at least half the clubs believing they SHOULD have the best ones no doubt.

However the draw SHOULD favour those clubs that are ALREADY investing in youth, and not be penalised just because you have 2 riders on your books that will be deemed `unfair` to other clubs. It should be fair i agree however but also fair to those with young Brits on their books.

There is a danger of creating matches within matches if the heat format rules become too stringent.

Assuming the reserves get four programmed rides and they are protected from heat leaders (do we still have three of those or has modern speedway downgraded to two?) then this is the type of scenario we get.

67 v 67

26 v 26

47 v 47

27 v 46

46 v 27

67 v 67

That leaves 8 heats

1, 3 and 5 on each side is in half those heats.

Your now struggling to create pairings that really should be a staple of team speedway. 2 and 4 only have 2 rides left. You could pair them with 1 and 3 for those rides. But then 5 rides with another heat leader in all four of his heats.

Regardless of the format of these 8 heats, there is a danger of a top heavy team dominating that section. Now the reserves will to an extent by a lottery due to inexperience. But if your team hits on successful reserves combined with top end strength I'd doubt second strings will have much influence on the result.

I'm not sure I'd totally protect the youngsters from the big boys. There will be occasions that a youngster will outscore a Darcy Ward in a heat. That will happen, we already know that. I'd certainly have one ride where they are in with the big boys. Adds a bit to their experience and will better balance the heat set-ups. I'd also have a lead reserve riding at 6. There is going to be a difference. The lead reserve will typically be a rider at PL reserve level. The other reserve will be an NL second string. I'd expose the lead reserve to the slightly tougher programme and be restrictive on the ability to switch them around.

I'd also have supplemental reserves in the top 5. The impact of a youngster getting hot (we saw in in the PL a few years ago), replacing weaker second strings and staying at reserve all year will distort matches too much. I've never believed any rider should get 7 rides unless injuries dictates anyway.

As I say, we need to be careful with the format. Allow the youngsters some competitive races, let them gain experience against the better riders, but protect the integrity of the match as a competition at the same time.

• Like 2

I should just add for clarity that my example of a reserve beating a Darcy Ward was primarily as a result of the top rider failing to score (exclusion ,ef etc). And that was the point really; a near certain 3 and 0 can turn into a 0 and 1; a four point swing.