British Speedway Forum
MMX Events

Havvy's Farewell - Poole Speedway - Friday 21st March 2014

Welcome to Havvy's Farewell thread.
Gary is hard at work planning a great night at Wimborne Road to open the season in Dorset.
We would be delighted to hear from any potential sponsors, advertisers or donors.
Keep in touch via twitter and Facebook (google Havvy's farewell) and please send any enquiries to mmxevents@yahoo.com
We aim to be posting regular updates as news is released but stand by for a really special occasion as we say farewell to one of Britain's Finest!
Best wishes everyone
Thanks MMX

Edited by MMX Events
  • Like 2

Welcome to Havvy's Farewell thread.

Gary is hard at work planning a great night at Wimborne Road to open the season in Dorset.

We would be delighted to hear from any potential sponsors, advertisers or donors.

Keep in touch via twitter and Facebook (google Havvy's farewell) and please send any enquiries to mmxevents@yahoo.com

We aim to be posting regular updates as news is released but stand by for a really special occasion as we say farewell to one of Britain's Finest!

Best wishes everyone

Thanks MMX

I wish the Gary Havelock venture all success. But please explain the Poole link. Good luck to a former British world champion.

I wish the Gary Havelock venture all success. But please explain the Poole link. Good luck to a former British world champion.

Surprised you didn't do any research before asking "gustix" for Gary was a Poole rider for five seasons.

• Like 1

He also rode for Middlebrough, Bradford and Redcar, what about there supporters, hell of a journey to Poole on a friday night, should of had it at Coventry, better off for everybody.

I wish him all the luck in the world, but cant see me travelling all the way to Poole on a friday.

Hope it goes well.

Surprised you didn't do any research before asking "gustix" for Gary was a Poole rider for five seasons.

Thanks Bryn. Was he? I have been recently described on the BSF as "Mr 1940s"! That may explain my lack of knowledge about Gary Havelock and Poole. I just associated him with north of England tracks.

Had it been a query about 1940s riders like Ralph Horne, Danny Lee, Ted Gibson, Red Hamley - i would have been aware of their career details. Oh, none of them had any links with Poole.

For all that, I wish all success to the tribute meeting for Gary at Poole.

He also rode for Middlebrough, Bradford and Redcar, what about there supporters, hell of a journey to Poole on a friday night, should of had it at Coventry, better off for everybody.

I wish him all the luck in the world, but cant see me travelling all the way to Poole on a friday.

Hope it goes well.

Yes all success to the night. You also detail the northern tracks where I did know Gary Havelock rode.

Edited by Guest

Hope it goes well.

'Should have had it at Coventry'? Really?! Have you not read the bile from many Bees fans on here towards Havvy?!

No brainer for me. It has to be Poole, where he still has many fans, sponsors and friends!!

• Like 1

Thanks Bryn. Was he? I have been recently described on the BSF as "Mr 1940s"! That may explain my lack of knowledge about Gary Havelock and Poole. I just associated him with north of England tracks.

Had it been a query about 1940s riders like Ralph Horne, Danny Lee, Ted Gibson, Red Hamley - i would have been aware of their career details. Oh, none of them had any links with Poole.

For all that, I wish all success to the tribute meeting for Gary at Poole.

Yes all success to the night. You also detail the northern tracks where I did know Gary Havelock rode.

Well to illustrate the point I was trying to make I've used my search engine i.e. Google, typed in "Ralph Horne speedway" and been provided with a number of links to where info for him could be found and, from one of those links I've discovered that Ralph rode one race for Sheffield in their NL Div 2 away match at Coventry on 7th May 1949, that ride being in heat 8 where unfortunately he fell heavily and was taken to hospital for observation.

Nowadays it's so easy to research info you are after "gustix" and trust me, I'm NO computer buff! ;)

Hope it goes well.

Ha Ha! Hope this is just a wind up. :D It would be a hell of a journey for the Poole fans to get to Brandon on a Friday night because that's all who would be there, apart from perhaps a few of his 'up North' fans. I think you'll find he's not very popular with Coventry supporters so I very much doubt there would be much of a queue to get in. Gary is much better off holding his testimonial where he is highly thought of and that's Poole. I hope the weather is good and it all goes okay.

• Like 3

'Should have had it at Coventry'? Really?! Have you not read the bile from many Bees fans on here towards Havvy?!

No brainer for me. It has to be Poole, where he still has many fans, sponsors and friends!!

The Poole meeting was arranged long before Havelock declared his undying love for all things Poole on Twitter.

Well to illustrate the point I was trying to make I've used my search engine i.e. Google, typed in "Ralph Horne speedway" and been provided with a number of links to where info for him could be found and, from one of those links I've discovered that Ralph rode one race for Sheffield in their NL Div 2 away match at Coventry on 7th May 1949, that ride being in heat 8 where unfortunately he fell heavily and was taken to hospital for observation.

Nowadays it's so easy to research info you are after "gustix" and trust me, I'm NO computer buff! ;)

Thanks Bryn. Yes I do know about the careers of all the riders I named. I was just illustrating I know more about 1940s rider than those of modern times.

More on Ralph Horne: a former jockey who switched to speedway and competed in novice events at Belle Vue in 1945, then had team rides as a reserve for the Aces in 1946 and 1947. In 1948 he was on loan to Coventry, then the following year rode at Sheffield and Belfast, Northern Ireland. His career was dogged by injury, but in 1952 he made a come-back in open meetings at Wigan but when that track closed retired.

And this data re Ralph Horne is from the old "mind computer" and no google search. Honest!

Edited by Guest

Im a brummies supporter and was one of the privaledge few that saw Havvy win his world title in Poland and have great admiration for the bloke and felt he was hard done by when they chucked him out of the SGP.

I would have been in the queue at Brandon for his testimonial, but theres no way I would bother going to Poole on a friday night, your supposed to be celebrating the mans speedway life, not a season at Coventry which is a small point in his history.

Fair enough. You have always admired him but he's never been a favourite rider of mine so I definitely wouldn't go even if it was held at Coventry or up the road at my local track Leicester. A season at Brandon may just be a small point in his history but during that time I think a lot of Bees fans have decided they don't like him, or his remarks on Twitter, so unfortunately I'm afraid he's not very popular.

Really quite amazing how gustix didn't take a look at this site as he has spent the last few days talking about it so much!!!!

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/1216/gary-havelock

I didn't go there because I am not really interested in Gary Havelock! Now if it was Bill Mathhews...maybe!

I only showed a a very pasing interest in Havelock because my very hazy recollections of him was as a northern-based rider and I wondered how Poole and he were involved.

Edited by Guest

Because I am not really interested in Gary Havelock! Now if it was Bill Mathhews...maybe!

You're interested anough to look on a thread about him and make a query,but not interested enough to look at the site you have been mentioning enough over the past few days to answer the query for yourself.How queer!!!
  • Like 1