British Speedway Forum
MMX Events

Havvy's Farewell - Poole Speedway - Friday 21st March 2014

Feel sorry for Havelock, but at the end of the day, No one person is bigger than the sport ! The sport needs SKY and the money they provide.

Spot on. This has probably worked in Havvys favour to be honest, look at the publicity its getting. No posts on this thread since end of November before today despite riders being named for example

I've never understood why they not shown it prevoiusly ??

They did didnt they then dropped it. I wouldve said it was good for British Speedway that they will show it but all this has put a dampener on it.

I'm surprised Sky aren't moving heaven and earth to accommodate their great friend and publicist Matt Ford. It's a shame that Havvy has been caught up in the crossfire.

Would be best to move the date to perhaps the Monday before if possible, ERC should be a standout event but it may end up being the last if it goes ahead on the same date. Too much anger around for it to happen.

How many times have there been 2 meetings on the same date.

There is only ward who was due to ride in Havvy farewell out of what you would imagine will be ERC line up (maybe Cook)

I'm sure the people who were going to his meeting will still go and the same with the ERC. It's a good distance between Poole and Coventry.

I will be at the ERC as never had any plans to go to Havelocks farewell and I'm sure there are enough speedway fans for both meetings

I've never understood why they not shown it prevoiusly ??

Becasue at the end of the season it's often affected by late withdrawals and lacks the genuine credibility of a world class event. That's one of the main reasons why they've decided to stage it at the start of the season.

Ironically, an open meetign such as the Havelock Farewell could have a higher class field, because he might be able to attract GP riders who are not racing in the EL (and there are several of them!).

Becasue at the end of the season it's often affected by late withdrawals and lacks the genuine credibility of a world class event. That's one of the main reasons why they've decided to stage it at the start of the season.

Ironically, an open meetign such as the Havelock Farewell could have a higher class field, because he might be able to attract GP riders who are not racing in the EL (and there are several of them!).

This is why I said originally both meetings could easily go ahead on that date. Havvy already has Lindgren and Vaculik signed up, add to that a few GP riders, (Holder, Hancock, Jonsson) and the line up would be very good and likewise the ERC. A bit of communication between the two organisers could sort this out. Too much anger for the ERC to run on that date now though.

Might be a higher class field, but as in all these early season testimonials etc the GP boys will be testing engines/bikes and not giving their all, giving the paying customer little entertainment for their money.

Might be a higher class field, but as in all these early season testimonials etc the GP boys will be testing engines/bikes and not giving their all, giving the paying customer little entertainment for their money.

I think Havvy is worth MORE than that. :mad: :mad:

And you think the GP boys won't be testing engines at the relatively worthless ELRC?

Spot on. This has probably worked in Havvys favour to be honest, look at the publicity its getting. No posts on this thread since end of November before today despite riders being named for example

They did didnt they then dropped it. I wouldve said it was good for British Speedway that they will show it but all this has put a dampener on it.

It certainly seems that Havvy see's it as a personal slur. I have no feelings about his meeting either way, I wouldn't have been travelling to Poole to see him. I can't help sensing the irony in it all though .............

Edit..Who has been named as taking part in his farewell meeting?

Edited by Jacques

Is this date honestly the only one over the year that Sky could show the ERC.?? Whatever some may feel about Havvy, he does deserve to have a decent farewell. I don't know who has agreed to ride in his meeting that would be affected by the ERC but I'd imagine the supporters attending for him wouldn't chose the ERC in preference. I may be wrong :neutral:

Only one way round this my little Flower. Everybody needs to show at Havvys bash.

• Like 1

Big blow to the meeting at Brandon to be honest as their will be masses of Cov fans going to the Poole to see there Hero Havy

• Like 3

Only one way round this my little Flower. Everybody needs to show at Havvys bash.

Why do they?

I see today's Bournemouth Echo article about the clash between the Havvy Farewell and the Elite Riders' Championship proudly trumpets the Echo's exclusive revealing back in December of the new Sky deal.

Hang on a minute !! ... if the Echo hadn't been so keen to make that exclusive revelation a few weeks ago, then Matt Ford wouldn't have got in serious trouble with the BSPA ... and then maybe the BSPA might have been a bit more sympathetic towards Havvy's plight when Sky wanted the ERC brought forward to create the fixture-clash he's now so frustrated about !!

Anyway, Gary Havelock's earned enough money from Sky over the years for "stating the obvious" punditry that was well below the standard set by several other current or ex-riders but he still got the air-time (and therefore the money) simply because he was a former British world champion ... I'd have a lot more sympathy for any rider a little further down the pecking-order of speedway's earners who found his farewell or testimonial trampled over by a Sky-requested fixture-switch at 7 weeks' notice.

• Like 1

I'd have cared more about havvy's farewell meeting if he actually held it when he bloody retired which was some time ago now.

Is he skint so needs to raise some funds.

BSPA can hardly say no to Sky when announcing a new 5 year deal, so my advice Havvy, quit moaning and get on with it or switch your date.

• Like 2